The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insects stuck to a Supra puzzle.

Ewen

A fly, a bee and a moth are stuck to Supra. The fly is stuck to the tread of a tyre, the bee is stuck to the crank pulley belt, the moth is stuck to the windscreen. The tyre has a diameter of 32", the crank pulley belt is 32" long. The Supra is doing 100mph, at 5000 rpm....

Which insect is moving the fastest ?

32" x 5000 = 160,000 inches a minute * 60 = 9,600,000 inches an hour

1 mile = 63 360 inch

so

9,600,000 / 63,360 = 151.51 mph ?

So that makes the fly and bee joint...but what happens to rubber at that speed? Does it stretch a little maybe? In which case the fly will be a little ahead?

I can't imagine any of them would survive though :(

1 mile = 63 360 inch

so

So that makes the fly and bee joint...but what happens to rubber at that speed? Does it stretch a little maybe? In which case the fly will be a little ahead?

I can't imagine any of them would survive though :(

God you're good :)

1 mile = 63 360 inch

so

So hes travelled 151.51 miles sideways in an hour.

Hes also travelled 100 miles forwards in an hour.

The bee will have the greatest angular momentum, but does that directly equate to velocity?

Would that couple with the forward motion, though? The pulley belt coordinate directional component, if memory serves, wouldn't match that of the car.

The speed of the fly (stuck to the tyre tread) will depend on when you measure it. At the bottom of the tyre, when it is in contact with the road, it will instantaneously be stationary, while at the top of the tyre, it will be travelling forwards at it's maximum speed of 200mph.

I doubt the bee on the cambelt (travelling a helical path) would ever reach the same maximum speed.

If you were to ask which would have the highest average apeed, this might result in a different answer....

I'm looking for the dumb ass answer and I think I've got it. None of them are "moving" - the stuff they're sat on is. Is that right?

Depends on your definition of movement. Moving in relation to what? The Earth? The road? The tree they just passed?

1 mile = 63 360 inch

so

Ah, but... the belt doesn't do a full turn per revolution of the crank, it depends on the diameter of the crank pulley.