The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Deaf IVF

Kopite

Just been reading through yesterday's paper (don't ask why :D) and stumbled across a challenge to parliament from this couple.

They are after IVF treatment etc but WANT their child to be deaf like that father (who happens to be called Tomato). They are saying it is discrimination that they are not allowed to have genes for deafness selected for the embryo as he argues deafness is not a disability and does not mean they are lacking anything, but they merely communicate in another form.

Personally I think it's absolutely right for them not to be allowed to have a child ready made to be deaf, what do you lot think? Added a poll!

Theyll be defeated, Deafness is clearly a disability, if you were injured and you were out of plain sight of people and everyone was deaf, how is anyone going to helar you calls for help? why in the hell youd want to give your child a disadvantage as soon as its born is completely beyond me!

Theyll be defeated, Deafness is clearly a disability, if you were injured and you were out of plain sight of people and everyone was deaf, how is anyone going to helar you calls for help? why in the hell youd want to give your child a disadvantage as soon as its born is completely beyond me!

Exactly. Otherwise evolution would've removed our ears if you subscribe to that theory

They're right that being deaf isn't a disability... it's an impairment.

IMO they shouldn't be allowed the treatment, not because they're deaf, but because they want a child to have the same impairment as them because they're selfish. What the hell is stopping them teaching a kid with perfect hearing to communicate with them in sign language? I smell a big 'us and them' attitude towards people with normal hearing.

They're right that being deaf isn't a disability... it's an impairment.

IMO they shouldn't be allowed the treatment, not because they're deaf, but because they want a child to have the same impairment as them because they're selfish. What the hell is stopping them teaching a kid with perfect hearing to communicate with them in sign language? I smell a big 'us and them' attitude towards people with normal hearing.

Its a disability.

An ability is something you are able to do. A disability is something you should be able to do but can't.

Impaired hearing is when you can still hear.

Scott =op

but because they want a child to have the same impairment as them because they're selfish. What the hell is stopping them teaching a kid with perfect hearing to communicate with them in sign language?

:yeahthat:

Teach the child sign language, or even teach yourselves your own way of communicating.

Total bull cr*p.

The report on the BBC news website here puts a slightly different slant on things.

On it they say that the couple, "given the choice," would prefer a deaf child. They are not saying they want to genetically modify an embryo to ensure it is deaf. At the moment, the ruling is such that if the embryos are screened and there is a mixture of non deaf and deaf then they must use the non deaf embryo.

"communicate in another form", eh?

Communication is a two way process - you transmit AND receive. To ignore the receiving part of the process is clearly going to disadvantage the child.

I'd like to see how they receive communication from a truck blaring it's horn at them as they cross the street having failed to see (or hear) it coming towards them!

:twak:

I heard the radio show too- very poor arguments they put across. Example (paraphrased):

"We go to deaf-only conferences, where a hearing person would be unable to communicate"

Not if they knew sign language, which clearly you would have to teach your child whether it was hearing or not.

"Some parents choose to have their children circumcised"

Cutting a bit off, which makes it more hygienic and bigger looking is sooo different to removing one of their senses.

They also dodged the traffic accident argument by saying that they had never been run over...

Personally I think normal (as in normal in the head) parents want their children to have every opportunity in life, and every success, which means having as many advantages on their side as possible. To deliberately choose to remove one advantage is weird.

Can you imagine the conversation they will one day have to have with that child?

"Dad, why can all the other kids hear things except me?"

"Well son, we choose to mutilate you before you were born."

"Gee Dad, thanks a bunch."

Personally I think normal (as in normal in the head) parents want their children to have every opportunity in life, and every success, which means having as many advantages on their side as possible. To deliberately choose to remove one advantage is weird.

Spot on!

Scott =op

Can you imagine the conversation they will one day have to have with that child?

"Dad, why can all the other kids hear things except me?"

"Well son, we choose to mutilate you before you were born."

"Gee Dad, thanks a bunch."

Whilst I might not agree with the views of the couple, what you have just said is incorrect and would be a typical "Sun" headline or write up.

If you had read the BBC report you will see that they are not removing any of the genes in the embryo and therefore are not mutilating anything or anyone. But hey, why let the facts spoil a good post eh?

If you are born without a sense, then how can you possibly be lost without it, the other sense will take over the role.

My mother is deaf and so far she has managed to live her life without getting run over :rolleyes: or not being able to communicate with the world.

I don't agree with the couples views but some bs is spouted in this thread.

If you are born without a sense, then how can you possibly be lost without it, the other sense will take over the role.

My mother is deaf and so far she has managed to live her life without getting run over :rolleyes: or not being able to communicate with the world.

I don't agree with the couples views but some bs is spouted in this thread.

My wife is profoundly deaf and would disagree with your post. She finds it immensely fustraiting despite having some bloody expensive hearing aids. Other senses do not 'take over' you just use them more but any four senses no matter how sharp cannot equal five senses in normal working order.

Guest cj748

I read this the wrong way round too.

Now i see what they want to do, i can't believe anyone, doctor or otherwise, even listened to the idea.:sos:

What is the world coming to................

Hello my name is Carrot, i have no teeth, i want my child to be born without the ability to grow teeth so he can be just like me. Having no teeth is not a disability, I can still eat, I just eat differently thats all, a bit of mash and Gravy certainly goes down a treat. I only eat in places where the food is mashed to a baby consistency, a normal person would find this way too runny.