The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone use handheld gps?

JamieP

Jamie, a simple Garmen parallel system will do the job (circa 80 to 110 quid).

They all run off the old parallel-12 technology; meaning they take their signal from the strongest 12-satellites in the receptive field.

If you pay the 110 figure (and more) then you will get more functions with the system i.e. route navigation where you can programme a vast number of co-ords instead of only a few. They will also do emergency route planning and multi-route memory storage.

Easy to use too;)

That is certainly a good bit of kit but just make sure that you can get your hands on UK mapping. The system that you mentioned is a multi-design system which means that you can use it on land or water i.e. sailing navigation etc.

This will keep you on track with this spec:

10,000-point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each) let you retrace your path in both directions

Don't forget though; if you buy a real cheap one then it won't come with a mapping capability so you will have to use it to orientate yourself using a paper map

I want to buy, stop me from getting lost on my dirtbike in deepest wales.:)

I gotta be honest Jamie, the way we ride dirtbikes and stuff here, i can't hold on to anything but the handle bars. If you can read a GPS and ride you got something mate!!

haha j/k, I dont have any experience on GPS though :innocent:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp

there under field craft, then navigation, then GPS

Try these mate, i know a few lads that have brought from here, i use a magellen one, and never had any probs but its about 7 years old now, there are loads of new styles on the market.

this company supply to the forces a lot, and like i said lads use them all over the world and there fine, so wales will be ok, even the Brecons!!

richie