The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine running upside down?

csa

But at idle there is sufficient oil in the bearings to keep things turning. Much the same as starting the car after draining the oil & not putting new oil in or having a leak at the filter due to the oil filter seal falling off :taped::innocent:

Doesn't make much difference as there's no load on the engine.

thats true and i'd imagine the litre or two of oil that was under (now on top of) all the pistons would ensure that everything was getting sprayed constantly :D

Say 2-3 sec on startup without pressure?

x2 startup per day for a year = 730 starts

say say 30mins a year with no pressure?

only thing is i suspect the wear would not be linear..........ie 30secs with no pressure would be ALOT worse than 10 cold starts..........

thats true and i'd imagine the litre or two of oil that was under (now on top of) all the pistons would ensure that everything was getting sprayed constantly :D

Say 2-3 sec on startup without pressure?

x2 startup per day for a year = 730 starts

say say 30mins a year with no pressure?

only thing is i suspect the wear would not be linear..........ie 30secs with no pressure would be ALOT worse than 10 cold starts..........

Yup because friction would heat things up causing them to expand, in turn causing more friction.

Scott =op

But bearings only need oil pressure under load.

There was a 'con' many years back where an oil additive company ran an engine at idle for hours on end that had been 'treated' with their product. What the company didn't say was that an engine not 'treated' with their product would idle happily for just as long with the oil drained out!!

They also ran a car around a race track for a lap with no oil in it. Can't remember if that was as successful or not :search:

could you explain this a bit. not quite sure what you a saying here ?

Firstly i would say i'm by no means qualified to give a professional opinion............its just my understanding of what normally goes on and what will or will not go on when upside down.

The oil pickup strainer sits in the sump and under 'right way up' conditions the oil pump will continually draw up oil from here and pump it around the engine and everything thats should be under pressure is under pressure.

Upside down the oil will drain to the cams and also sit on top of the now upside down pistons and be 'pumped/splashed' up into the sump area thats now just an air space like the cam covers normally are.

So no oil will be being pumped around the normal route....................what effect this has on the oil pump, and crank bearings i don't know............Kranz could well be right about the crank bearings not sure if the oil pump would be fine or not..........

As long as there's no load on the engine it'll all be fine, pump, bearings, cams & all. One minute without oil is nothing. Egines will happily run for hours at idle without oil.

The way to check is to sample the oil that is in the sump and see if the wear metals are normal or if the lead/inium or even copper levels are increased.

As long as there's no load on the engine it'll all be fine, pump, bearings, cams & all. One minute without oil is nothing. Egines will happily run for hours at idle without oil.

The way to check is to sample the oil that is in the sump and see if the wear metals are normal or if the lead/inium or even copper levels are increased.

Why do people turn a new engine over on the starter to get oil pressure before connecting the ignition and allowing it to fire up. I was under the impression that the force of the combustion was enough to start trashing bearings very rapidly. Just things i've read and other folks experiences while I was getting ready to fire up my other motor for the 1st time. Not the 2jz.