The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running Question

Supragal

I've just signed up to do the 10k run on the 5th of June and they sent me loads of training information. They say 6 weeks should be enough for beginners.

Week 1

Run for 15 minutes, walk for 2, Run for another 15 minutes twice a week

Week 2

Run for 17 minutes, walk for 2, Run for another 17 minutes twice a week

Week 3

Run for 19 Minutes, walk for 2, Run for another 19 minutes twice a week

and so on

Gym is good for general fitness, but its best to practice on the open road so to speak

Good luck

Ive just started doing loads of fitness at the gym. Including running. At the start i was so unfit, but i can now run for 10 mins comfortably. And it goes up by a minute every week (i go 2/3 times a week.) Im on 14 mins at the mo. Not sure how long that is tho. Ill see next time.

Did the great north run in 98. Started training 6 months before hand as i wanted to run the distance not walk it, well that was the idea.

Only problems i had was my shins, morning after it was painfull to walk. I wouldn't use just a running machine to train for distance running on road as running machines in a gym take some of the shock out of the stride. So when you run on road it can get very painfull. You will have to do both road and running machine not just running machine.

I did find that going for a 2 hour run then going out saved a fortune in beer money, which was great as i was a student at the time

It was thai boxing.

so were you a bit vicious then ? .... knees & elbows and all that!

used to do kick-boxing - kicking a wooden post with padding around it - with shins ! took a while to get confidence to do that with the proper technique & power OUCH

I took up running in the summer. Have neglected it a bit over winter as it's too cold! When I started, I couldn't run for more than 2 minutes without getting totally out of breath. After a few months, I could do 6 miles!!!

2 miles was a bit of a barrier for me. Once I could get past that, I reallly started to pile the miles on. It's actually good fun too :)

It seems to be very easy to pick up injuries. I avoided running consecutive days, and if I hurt a muscle I had at least a few days break. Decent shoes, and running on grass is good too.

Hope that helps a bit.