The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent: Clifford Concept 300 Siren Will Not Stop!!

dandan

OK picture the scene…8:15am, Sunday morning - nice, quiet suburban area…

I pull up on the drive nice and steady keeping the Nur Spec mellow and quiet, freewheeling the last 40 yards to my drive so as not to agitate any sleeping neighbours. All is nice and quiet, not even a dog walker in sight.

I get out the car and hit my keyfob button to lock the car as I walk to the front door. Then for no apparent reason the alarm starts to sound so I turn round and hit the button again to turn the alarm off…hahaha…no such luck. So then I try it again…nope! I try again…nope! I try the valet mode…nope!

With every scream from the siren another curtain twitches as the neighbours wake up one by one to see what’s going on. The strange thing is that every time I press the keyfob button the doors lock/unlock and the indicators flash twice/once accordingly. All the time the siren is screaming it’s own little war cry under the bonnet.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I end up opening the bonnet (great….even more noise – bringing the 75 year old femme fatale from across the road out onto her driveway to investigate further) and wrapping my jacket around the siren to try to hush things down a few decibels while I investigate.

Well there’s nothing obviously amiss although I am no alarm expert. I’m contemplating cutting all the wires and pulling the b*$%ard thing out but then a mixture of immobilization worries and a realization I left nearly all my tools at my dad’s place last night soon quashed that idea.

So eventually I end up wrapping an old towel around the siren and driving down the road like some thieving scumbag making off with a lovely looking Supra headed for a dodgy lock up somewhere (all the while the siren is still merrily screaming away)!!!

I am now out at my old man’s house trying to decide what to do (the siren stopped about ten minutes after I started driving away). Do I cut the wires and pull the siren out? Do I leave it and assume it was a fluke incident? Do I fill the siren with expanding foam whilst tracking down a replacement or some official Clifford advice?

Thoughts please people…. anyone had anything similar before??

Cheers

Dan

A bit more info for those who may be able to help:

1. The siren stopped "chirping" several months ago (when locking/unlocking). The indicators would just flash but there'd be nothing at all from the siren.

I believe this is a sign the siren battery is running low.

2. If I disconnected the battery to work on the car and then reconnected some time later the siren "chirping" (when locking/unlocking) would return for a day or two then go back to silent again. If the alrm did get triggered then the siren would go off as normal.

3. If I hold down the keyfob button (now - this morning) to enable panic mode and set the alarm off, the siren will not sound at all. The indicators flash fast and repeatedly as if the alarm is going off but there is no sound.

4. The is no obvious electrical plug/socket connection to the siren under the bonnet (makes sense obviously) but does anyone know how deep into the alarm wiring one has to delve to be able to disconnect the siren and replace it with another (if that's even possible)?

OK...all input appreciated guys.......

:( I've been through the book cover to cover and can't find anything that can cause this mate.

You can mute the chirps, so that may be one thing.

The only battery mentions are to do with the remotes.

This model has smart autotest and auto malfunction bypass. So in theory it shouldn't go off again if a monitor point is faulty.

Bit baffled at the mo mate.

I take it you have the guide book for the alarm.

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Yes I have the book but no real answer yet. The chirps definitely weren't muted or put in silent mode - and I am 99% sure that "missing chirps" are a sign of a battery going flat in the siren itself.

The weird thing is that the "alarm" and immmobilizer seemed to be able to be turned on and off with the keyfob (hence the indicators flashing correctly with arm/disarm) but the siren was just doing its own thing.

Being able to start it and drive it (after disarming as per normal with the remote) suggests that the siren (and only the siren) was malfunctioning.

It's a little weird but I'm thinking the siren itself is sha&&ed.....

Hmm the Medallion Siren battery smart charges ie only when the ignition is on. Prevents main battery drain.

So, it seems that this battery may not be charging when you turn the ignition on.

The chirps are auto muted if the siren battery gets low, that's right.

On a side note, I disconnect my battery a lot and haven't had problems yet.

With clifford, dont they have a trouble shoot mode - you need to take them to a clifford installer I think?

it sounds like a loose connection to the siren doesnt it. What a pain.

Many cliffords will prob be going off tomorrow though what with the storm and all. And my wale tail. :)

I had this with mine once the main fuse blew the siren thought the wires had been cut so it done its nut 1am in the morn.

do you have any power to the unit now?

it will be worth you going over all the joints and make sure you have a good conection, I had mine serviced all he done was replace the fuses then spray all the bonnet and door pins

the no chirping is usually down to the battery in the siren becoming flat/faulty

Agreed.

ive had this problem before with a Clifford concept 50.

Nothing would turn the siren off including valet mode.

A new backup battery in the siren sorted it.

To the OP, if yours is at fault it shouldnt sound again because the battery may now be totally dead :)