The mkiv Supra Owners Club

First Grand Prix at night

Bill Prawn

The MotoGP season gets underway next weekend (Sunday).

It will be the first GP held at night under floodlights. F1 has a night race later in the year as well.

Pretty impressive set up of lights, Over 5 million watts, over 50,000 bulbs and enought to light 70 football pitches, 3000 homes or a hypothetical street from Doha in Qatar to Moscow!!!

It's on TV at 8pm so worth watching just for the novelty of the lights.

Why it would be held at night ? Temperature ?

Temperature could be a problem, it gets cold here at night and the tyres don't work

Simpler than that, money. :) It puts it at peak time here in the west rather than in the middle of the night. Which keeps the sponsors happy.

It is all down to TV viewing, nobody watched this as it was on a Saturday Afternoon in recent years, it has now been changed to a Sunday evening at prime time so it will catch a big audience in Spain and Italy especially.

i used to enjoy getting up early in the mornings for these races, get a cup of tea going and a few slices of toast!!

not going to be doing that a 16:30 on sunday!

richie

The only race you would see in the morning would have been America all the others would be one hour different so Sunday afternoon or late Sunday night.

Just ignore me, it's late here.

Misunderstood what you meant. D'oh:taped:

Anyway you can watch this Sunday at 20.00 with a few beers and a take-away ;)

sounds like a date to me then!

when your back are you going to come to the many mini meets we have in northhampton!!!!!!!

would be good to get a fourth car there!!

richie

I can't see the point? With that much light they might as well just've done it in the day.

It's because of the time difference with the majority of the viewers...MotoGP and F1 are Euro-centric...so making races happen live at better viewing times for Europe = higher ratings = more money.

It's got naff all to do with the race itself (other than it's cooler and easier on the riders).

Toesland did alright in testing :D

I can't see the point? With that much light they might as well just've done it in the day.

that is the point, they could race in the day but not many people tune in.

This way viewing figures will be high, and it also gets one over on Bernie because MotoGP did it first!!!