The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on removing driveshaft from hub?

Homer

No offence to be taken here but I have to ask the question.:)

Is the nut the type you deform a tab or collar to lock it on to the shaft and have you bent it round again to allow it to turn again?

No offense taken at all. It wouldn't be the the first time I've missed something completely obvious :D

As far as I can tell it's just a standard nut, the one I took off the other side didn't have any collar on it.

No offense taken at all. It wouldn't be the the first time I've missed something completely obvious :D

As far as I can tell it's just a standard nut, the one I took off the other side didn't have any collar on it.

Ahh cool you've already done the otherside. I wasnt sure on the nut type just remember the g/f's clio driveshaft nut was one you torqued up then hammered the edge of the top collar flat locking it in place.

Another obvious (and not intentionally offensive) one....

Left hander??

I think you could be on to something here. Left handed threads are going to be on the drivers side so the normal wheel rotation will tighten a loose nut not spin it off.

Guest torque monster

:)Homer, Try 1. snap-on 1/2 in impact wrench fully charged, if this fails, use 2. wheel on the ground, 3/4 in drive socket and scaffold tube. It will come, sounds brutal, but that's what we would be faced with having to do if you brought it to us. PM me if you need more...andrew senior

Another obvious (and not intentionally offensive) one....

Left hander??

nope, it's not. Good point though!

:)Homer, Try 1. snap-on 1/2 in impact wrench fully charged, if this fails, use 2. wheel on the ground, 3/4 in drive socket and scaffold tube. It will come, sounds brutal, but that's what we would be faced with having to do if you brought it to us. PM me if you need more...andrew senior

I don't have an impact wrench so it kind of rules that out :D I already tried with just a socket on a 1/2 in driveand a 4 foot scaffold pole, all that happened was the wheel span. I stuck a few bags of cement in the boot but I guess the car is too light to put much force down to the ground (no engine & drivetrain)

don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but have you tried tightening the nut first in order to free it?

Yep, tried that too, but it didn't make a difference.

With the cars past life I wouldn't be surprised if the thread or bolt have twisted. All the studs on the hub were already sheared

Think I'm just going to remove the hub & driveshaft in one lot and bin them :(