The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on removing driveshaft from hub?

Homer

This was on the side where the hub got swapped out with one from a damaged car while it was at Phoenix. The hub is warped, I know that already, maybe the driveshaft was from the damaged car too...

I've removed the hub and driveshaft in one bit so will just source a replacement driveshaft.

I think the driveshaft is bent inside the hub. Gave it another go with the hub off the car and in a vice, several full force swings with a sledge hammer didn't move it one bit. The 6x4 the vice is mounted too nearly snapped though!

I think the whole assembly is fubared so will bin the lot.

Edit: Heard from Fargo that the driveshaft was stuck to the hub and couldn't be removed, so it was swapped too. Thanks, but would have preferred to know about this before. Grrrr, thanks for wasting my afternoon!!!

New problem, but still on the same subject...

I'm trying to undo the nut that secures the diveshaft to the hub (Passenger side this time), however I cannot shift this thing. I tried bracing the hub using two of the studs, but that only bent the studs!

Any idea please folks?

Stick a wheel on and drop it to the ground?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8863/rearhubtf0.th.jpg

Stick a wheel on and drop it to the ground?

I think you answered your own question.

When I removed the driveshafts on the van I did it this way with an extra large socket set with a pole for extra leverage which I stood on. I supported the short extension bar which fits in the socket with an axle stand to keep the socket on square.

I think you answered your own question.

When I removed the driveshafts on the van I did it this way with an extra large socket set with a pole for extra leverage which I stood on. I supported the short extension bar which fits in the socket with an axle stand to keep the socket on square.

I think thats going to be the only way. I used a 2 foot breaker bar on it but only maanged to start bending things!

i managed to do mine with the hanbrake on

yours must be tight

iv got a few spare bolts if you want them mate

The handbrake mechanism would snap way before this is going to move. The past history of the car means the driveshaft is going to rather well secured to the hub!

Interested in the spare bits though mate, lets talk :D

iv got 3 or 4 spare bolts from when i changed my hub

pm me your address and ill send them on monday if you want/need them

Thanks mate, much appreciated. For now it looks like there's enough spare, there was a complete set with the replacement hubs from Jezz. If not, I'll be in touch :cool:

I'm completely stuck on removing this bolt now, have tried for an hour today but the thing will not shift

I've put the wheel back on and put the car back on the gorund again. However, even with the a 2 foot breaker bar it's not moving. In fact the dispite the full weight of the car being on the wheel, the tyre loses grip with the ground and the wheel turns!

Any other ideas?

I'm close to binning the entire driveshaft and hub assembly..

normally some good sockets and a large bar are suffice, with wheel on and handbrake up you shouldnt be able to spin the wheels, i sometimes use an extra bar to extend the leverage even more, failing that you need an impact driver run off a compressor or a battery one like the snap-on ones which are quite good, i reakon youll still need the wheel on the ground though.

p.s dig the Brake disk covers.....:p

There's no way it's going to move with just a breaker bar, as said it just spins the wheel (when trying from one side I even picked the wheel off the ground :blink: it's missing about 400kg of drivetrain)

I don't have access to an impact driver so guess I'll just have to bin the driveshft on this side too.

Probably this cars past is the reason it won't come off. It might also explain why dude had the studs welded.

There's no way it's going to move with just a breaker bar, as said it just spins the wheel (when trying from one side I even picked the wheel off the ground :blink: it's missing about 400kg of drivetrain)

I don't have access to an impact driver so guess I'll just have to bin the driveshft on this side too.

Probably this cars past is the reason it won't come off. It might also explain why dude had the studs welded.

Hey mate :D see your having fun there.

We are seeing this kind of stuff all the time, you have got to shock it off, I can come out to you if you need, feel free to call.

James

Hey mate :D see your having fun there.

We are seeing this kind of stuff all the time, you have got to shock it off, I can come out to you if you need, feel free to call.

James

Crikey mate, thanks for the offer, thats really appeciated :thumbs:

The shock isn't off, but I can remove it.

Would it be any use to remove the hub and driveshaft as one unit and bring it to your garage?

When i said Shock it off this means the technique to remove the nut. You need to apply about as much weight on the breaker bar as possible then shock it by hitting it with a very very heavy club hammer or similar, alternatively run it into me and i can fight with it for 5 minutes whilst you make the tea stand back and laugh :D

Lol, yep, that'll teach me for not reading things properly! :D

I've not tried shocking it so will give your method a try tomorrow (not holding out much hope though :D ). If that fails then I'll give you a call in the week :)