The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I've Just Got Done!!

Havard

If so I will be fooking annoyed.....:(

Coming into Manchester from Stockport on the A34. The road is a duel carriageway for miles and is a 50 limit with a couple of speed cameras on route. My office is half way along this road. I call in do a bit of paperwork and then continue on my way. I come out of the office and get back on the road and head towards Manchester, there are some houses set back on either side of this DC but there are no signs that say it could possibly be a 40.

The road then breaks into 4 lanes as you have two seperate slip roads for the M60. The two remaining lanes on the right take you towards Manchester town centre. As I approach the brow of a hill I see a white van with a camera in the back and I hit the brake. I was doing 50 at the time in what I thought was a 50. After going back down my route it looks as though it could be a 40 but there are no signs between where I joined the road and the point where the coppers were.....:rolleyes:

Question is, if I was doing exactly 50mph could I argue this as a case? Also if they were illegally parked in a bus stop would I also have a case. I have been a really good boy of late as I have been trying to be more economical with my diesel costs, I am really upset that whilst driving like a granny I have still managed to get done by those pesky rozzers!!:blink:

I have had a clean licence for 8 years and considering I do 30k in the Mondeo, 5k in the Supe and probably about 2k in the Beemer my blemish free record may now be tarnished!!

H.

You were doing an indicated 50, so your actual speed was 46.

The prosecution limit is speed limit + 10% + 2 mph, so 40 + 4 + 2 = 46

You may just be clear my friend, depending on the accuracy of your speedo, what speed you were actually doing when the camera picked you up (as you braked) etc

You may just be clear my friend, depending on the accuracy of your speedo, what speed you were actually doing when the camera picked you up (as you braked) etc

This is suggested, not law.

I don't know to be honest Steve as I was looking for speed cameras......:D I am pretty sure I was doing 50 and broke down to about 42 on the speedo. Thing is, where the coppers were parked just after the brow of the hill, you have no chance of seeing them before the camera has got you. I saw it straight away but I don't know how long they zap you for before they get a reading.....:rolleyes:

What about the bus stop argument?

H.

No! Just a white van with it's rear doors open and some guy holding a camera in the back with a big grin on his face...:blink: There was also a bag of doughnuts near his feet...:D

Usually when they target you, you will see the red light quite vividly, I got targeted once but had no numberplate on so they couldn't get an acurate reading:D

Usually when they target you, you will see the red light quite vividly, I got targeted once but had no numberplate on so they couldn't get an acurate reading:D

Hummm I've been in a car that's been lasered twice now and I can't say I've ever seen the laser light...

-Ian

I highly doubt it, but can you prove it?

Well it's where they would have got their evidence from and there is no stopping any where near where they were parked.....;)

If I have got done then I will fight it....!! There is part of me that thinks just take the £60 and 3 points but I am upset that I was trying to stick to the limit and I may still have got done, makes me wonder how anyone can keep a clean licence with the tactics of the coppers and also poor road signs!!

H.

Dunno then, but how long ago were you lasered as they changed the guns not that long ago so it automatically pictured your reg aswell.

Three years ago in a mate's R34 Skyline, deliberately provoking a copper in a residential area into lasering us so we could see if the road angel worked - which it does :D

And the back end of last year as I hooned off a roundabout from the dual carriageway near mine and spotted plod in the usual place targetting people going the other way. I anchored on, he zapped me at 24mph bwahahaha. Road Angel again went nuts so I know he got me. (of course, tootling past him, getting over the small rise that obscured me from his view, and then punching it through 3rd gear with the screamer pipe going full blast would have been irresponsible, and not big or clever, so naturally I contd.p93)

Can you not get a device for your car that will scramble the radars the guns use?

My instructor at the flying school was a retired police officer, and he said it tends to be an unwritten law that 10% + 1 mph is given for speedo error.

Cant answer your question about the bus stop though :rolleyes:

Interesting!:blink:

I wouldn't have minded if I had been out in the Supe and been giving it a bit of welly along the country lanes round here...:innocent: Let's hope that they didn't get me!:)

That said, I have had a number of occasions where I have been really lucky not to get done. Flashed by another motorist near a speed trap etc. I once was doing 85 on the M61 and the copper was on the bridge. I didn't see him until the last second but a Volvo came flying past me at about a ton, I reckon the copper got the Volvo instead of me as it was the faster vehicle....:D

H.

Interesting!:blink:

I wouldn't have minded if I had been out in the Supe and been giving it a bit of welly along the country lanes round here...:innocent: Let's hope that they didn't get me!:)

That said, I have had a number of occasions where I have been really lucky not to get done. Flashed by another motorist near a speed trap etc. I once was doing 85 on the M61 and the copper was on the bridge. I didn't see him until the last second but a Volvo came flying past me at about a ton, I reckon the copper got the Volvo instead of me as it was the faster vehicle....:D

H.

Would of been good if the volvo was a copper eh.

you cant get a radar jammer, but you can a laser jammer....i think if they catch you 3 times and get no reading, they can come and search your car, and if they find one, you could be in even more trouble...

I think there is a few things that you can do, there was a massive book written on it...something like, if the gun operater has a mobile phone in his pocket on at the time, it can interfere the reading - thats if its a radar gun....and i think another one was, if the gun wasnt calibrated, when it was supposed to be, you can also be let off....