The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick Physics Test..

MrRalphMan

So the plane's ground speed is zero???

If it is then the plane will not take off as it is the airspeed that it requires to produce lift.

If the conveyor runway was moving in the same direction as the plane, therefore doubling its ground speed, it would take off quicker.....much like a plane on an aircraft carrier, hence why they have to take off into wind from the read to front of the ship.

*Ducks*

This was my thinking... until I unleashed the onslaught on Mr C...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't making any inflamatory comments :) The gravity thing was a terrible pun though, I admit to that.

Not as good as your "steps" one, but made me chuckle ;)

Right, sorted then. Next up - the perennial non-question "what happens if I drive at the speed of light and turn on my headlights..." :D

What do you plan on using to power the treadmill to get it up to that speed?

I wasn't making any inflamatory comments :) The gravity thing was a terrible pun though, I admit to that.

Right, sorted then. Next up - the perennial non-question "what happens if I drive at the speed of light and turn on my headlights..." :D

The photons build up in the headlight and cause it to burst :D

The comments about the intelligence of people not agreeing with you were the inflamatory ones - hence me seeing red and not sense. That's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

:innocent:

So the plane's ground speed is zero???

If it is then the plane will not take off as it is the airspeed that it requires to produce lift.

If the conveyor runway was moving in the same direction as the plane, therefore doubling its ground speed, it would take off quicker.....much like a plane on an aircraft carrier, hence why they have to take off into wind from the read to front of the ship.

The ground speed wouldn't be zero unless the belt was travelling in the same direction as the plane. The ground speed would be greater but this wouldn't effect the plane taking off.

most planes try to take off into wind on land or sea as it increases the air speed which is what effects take off speed.

If a plane flies into a 70 mph head wind it's air speed may be 150mph but the ground speed would be 80 mph.

Likewise with a tail wind of 30 mph you may have an air speed of 180 mph and a ground speed of 210mph.

The ground speed wouldn't be zero unless the belt was travelling in the same direction as the plane.

If the belt was travelling in the same direction as the plane, and matching its speed, then the ground speed would be double. Much the same as walking on a travelator at the airport (one of those flat escalator things).

Think of the conveyor belt runway thing like this to show that the speed of the conveyor (and hence wheel speed) has absolutely no effect on the take-off speed of the aircraft:

If the take-off speed of your plane is 180mph, then make the runway move at a steady 180mph FORWARDS, but hang on to the plane so that it's stationary. This will make the wheels of the plane move in reverse - right?

Ok, now wind up the engines so they start to develop thrust. (Then stop hanging on to it so that it can move) Obviously the air around the plane is still stationary. Will the engines have to move the aircraft forwards at 2x180mph for it to take off? (As that's when the wheels will be doing 180mph relative to the conveyor) Of course not - the aircraft will still take off at 180mph relative to the air around it. In fact, in this case, the aircraft will take off when the wheels have just stopped moving.

So, you can see that the wheel speed has absolutely no effect on when the aircraft will take off as it can still take off even if the wheels are not moving at all.

If the belt was travelling in the same direction as the plane, and matching its speed, then the ground speed would be double. Much the same as walking on a travelator at the airport (one of those flat escalator things).

Sorry I was talking about ground speed in relation to the speed of the belt not what the belt is on.

The speed of the belt is irrelevant to the take off, if there was zero friction in the hubs of the plane wheels then the plane would not move even if it was not creating thrust. Same is if you had zero friction on your feet you would not move on the ‘travelator’.

Much the same as walking on a travelator at the airport (one of those flat escalator things).

If you did that and the travelator was set to move at the same speed you were walking at, surely it'd speed up to an infinite speed as quickly as the feedback circuit would allow!! :blink:

Sorry I was talking about ground speed in relation to the speed of the belt not what the belt is on.

The speed of the belt is irrelevant to the take off, if there was zero friction in the plane wheels then the plane would not move even if it was not creating thrust. Same is if you had zero friction on your feet you would not move on the ‘travelator’.

Oh bu**er it. I wrote a long, well thought out post but then decided I can't decide if I have considered all the factors so I say

Who cares??

I've got to take the nipper to the park :D

Oh bu**er it. I wrote a long, well thought out post but then decided I can't decide if I have considered all the factors so I say

Who cares??

I've got to take the nipper to the park :D

very true. (although I just thought of the example of a car wheel spinning, the wheels could be doing any speed but without the friction it will not be transfered into forward motion)

Ok, I had a think about this at the park. The plane is effectively uncoupled from the conveyor due to the freewheeling nature of the wheels, and negating any drag from bearings and tyres then the wheels can be doing what they like.... its the thrust from the engine(s) that will gain forward velocity and airspeed.

So it will damn well take off :) It'll just need a bit more power to overcome tyre & wheel bearing drag.

What a ball ache of a question LOL

Edit: To use my travelator example, its like a bike on a travelator being held in one place by a glamorous assistant pushing on the back of the saddle. To hold it steady will require a force equal to that of the drag caused by the tyres & bearings. To accelerate it will require a bit more force, but it can easily accelerate forwards as long as there is sufficient push from behind. The push is the same as the thrust from the plane's engine(s).

All depends, since you can't actually attain the speed of light as your mass would be 0. However lets extend it and say you get near the speed of light...

Which then means it is all down to of view in relation to relativity. Lorenz contractions would mean that inside the car the headlights would appear to be on and the world would seem much smaller due to lorenz contractions. However outside the vehicle it will be contracted and the light would be appear to be travelling at normal speed

The only problem I have with the "will take off" logic is it seems to assume completely free-spinning, frictionless wheels. Is bringing friction into this over complicating the question?

Plane turns on engines to produce thrust for 10mph, wheels turn at 10mph. Treadmill turns on, in opposite direction, going 10mph - wheels now freely turn at 20mph? Plane turns engine off, thereby cancelling it's 10mph worth of thrust (yes, mph isn't a unit of thrust, but it was producing thrust to achieve 10mph, etc etc..) - does the plane now remain stationary, with wheels freely turning, or does it now get dragged backwards at 10mph by the treadmill? How, by cancelling the force that was producing a 10mph forward speed, did we go from +10mph to -10mph?

Or, the plane is sat on the treadmill/runway thingy. Treadmill starts up at -10mph, does the plane start moving backwards at 10mph, or remain stationary with the wheels spinning at 10mph? Engines come on to produce thrust that would, on a static runway, give the plane a 5mph speed. Does the plane now start going forward at 5mph, with the wheels at 15mph, or is it still travelling backwards but at a reduced rate of -5mph?

Something just seems to be missing - and I think it's friction/rolling resistance/whatever - but maybe that's getting too involved.