The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The impact of track days to your car.

supradriver

arrived with a brand new set of tyres in stead of taking a spare set of wheels they was bald as a que ball after the day was out.

rear pads had 50% left on them but after a few 180mph laps they were down to the metal cracking the rear disks.

needed two rear wheel bearings and a new hub, but think that was due to having 19's and steering from the rear most of the time :D

:respekt:

today i have been told/warned about the impact a track day can have on your car.

It was said that after a track day the car may creak and rattle, also the chassie may flex i never new this could happen as thay test most car on a track.

does any one know of this happening or is this just made up too put people off track days.

I would say this is all true, anybody with 500bhp/500lb/ft that full y hammers their car around a complex track could wear out components, I would imagine the chassis flex to take a good few seasons of hard core racing to set in!

i've done a few in 2 different cars, neither had any issues, just made sure all lubricants were changed before and not long after.

I don't go stupid though.

chris's car looks perfectly evenly damaged. Trust him to hit the tyre wall evenly, spreading out the load :)

Chassis flex will be more extensive on track, but short of a few 24 hour races it won't have any noticeable effect, unless you flex it beyond reason into a barrier. wear will be more than on the road, but again, unless you are a track day addict with dozens of days a year it shouldn't be too bad in a stock car. You can do terminal damage before you get to the end of your avenue, so you mights as well have legal fun once in a while ;)

This is part of my point though that for a track day stock is just not up to it i think the portafield pads melted then the metal on metal could have cause them to crack, or due to the thickness of the rear disks being as they are vented aswell probably did not help as i have had a couple of sets crack.)

But you werent running a stock setup? Unless I've completely missed something you were running ebc discs, with portafield pads on JDM calipers? The JDM brakes aren't up to fast road driving let alone track driving, the UK spec brakes are more than capable on a track as no doubt you'll find out :)