The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The impact of track days to your car.

supradriver

today i have been told/warned about the impact a track day can have on your car.

It was said that after a track day the car may creak and rattle, also the chassie may flex i never new this could happen as thay test most car on a track.

does any one know of this happening or is this just made up too put people off track days.

Depends on how hard your driving mate and how well you have prepped the car for the track day.

I found out the hard way on my first one

Yeah, very good point...

If you take a daily driver straight to track without doing some common sense stuff then yeah it won't be happy. Things like checking the tracking, a good service, fresh fluids that sort of thing will make wonders.

today i have been told/warned about the impact a track day can have on your car.

It was said that after a track day the car may creak and rattle, also the chassie may flex i never new this could happen as thay test most car on a track.

does any one know of this happening or is this just made up too put people off track days.

Sounds like bo*locks to me. If this was the case then there is something structurally wrong with the car. Sounds like too much Gran Tourismo is being played by the OP's informant.

I have kicked the so and so out of mine on the track a few times now and it seems absolutly fine. If somethink is going to go, im sure it will help it go quicker.

Found out my steering rack was really loose after the last one, soon got it sorted though :)

What happened mate???

arrived with a brand new set of tyres in stead of taking a spare set of wheels they was bald as a que ball after the day was out.

rear pads had 50% left on them but after a few 180mph laps they were down to the metal cracking the rear disks.

needed two rear wheel bearings and a new hub, but think that was due to having 19's and steering from the rear most of the time :D

arrived with a brand new set of tyres in stead of taking a spare set of wheels they was bald as a que ball after the day was out.

rear pads had 50% left on them but after a few 180mph laps they were down to the metal cracking the rear disks.

needed two rear wheel bearings and a new hub, but think that was due to having 19's and steering from the rear most of the time :D

Jebus!" Bugga that lol

Lol yeah going sideways round corners.

I have no Idea what the effects are in there is any its just what I was told when I mentioned it too some one

Nothing wrong with a stock brake setup. Lots of people use crappy aftermarket bits that dont hold up. I've not had an issue with 2 Ring trips and the various track days I've done. Just do the sensible things like getting it serviced regularly with the appropriate oils and you'll be fine.

Nothing wrong with a stock brake setup. Lots of people use crappy aftermarket bits that dont hold up. I've not had an issue with 2 Ring trips and the various track days I've done. Just do the sensible things like getting it serviced regularly with the appropriate oils and you'll be fine.

Sensible advice :thumbs:

After 1 lap of the 'ring my brakes were shot and there was smoke coming from the back of the engine so yes, tracks can take it out of a car. :)

Luckily the brakes came back very quickly and the smoking soon stopped (it was just a bit of overspill on the back of the g/box).

Neither problem had occured before or have done since...

Been there done that, out-braking Caterhams is quite heavy on the brakes :D

...I didn't need new wheel bearings or hub though, thankfully.

It was the stock rear brakes that failed they were running portafield pads aswell

Ivan, lol at the smoke :D I found it a good idea to take the car for a little cool down for a few mins after a 'hot' lap, helped :)

John, I cant remember if you had the JDM setup or UK/larger ones? Weren't your discs grooved?

ebc turbo grooved discs brembo 4pots on the front with j specs on the rear, then towards the end of the day just brembo 4pots :)

Surely that's down to a bad brake bias? Brembo four pots are far more effecient than j-spec rears, causing your rears to do far more work. As an aside, we j-specs even designed to stop a Supra repeatedly from 180mph?

This is part of my point though that for a track day stock is just not up to it i think the portafield pads melted then the metal on metal could have cause them to crack, or due to the thickness of the rear disks being as they are vented aswell probably did not help as i have had a couple of sets crack.

cant be bothered to go into the whole brembo v uk set up in my view the fronts proved there worth on that track day, wish I had the brembo rears sorted before I had done it now as im sure they would have held up.

The new supra is running a full uk brake set up, wont be far off the same power as my old supra, when it gets put through its paces in a couple of months ill post up if im wrong or not about the evo brembo conversion;)

It's no different to thrashing a car in any other environment - if you abuse a car, it ages faster. Mine has picked up extra squeaks and rattles since tracking it, but that's life. Mine's a working car - ~20,000 miles per year plus around 500 miles on circuit.

The chassis won't flex any more after a track day than before it, not quite sure what you mean there. If it bothers you, fit extra braces.

At the end of the day, the Supra is a sports car and can be driven hard all day long with basic care. If you just want to polish it and pop to the shops, get a Micra.

Ahhh, RAF Marham ;)