My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got them fitted today, a simple job which turned into 4 hours work!

Had some problems with the threads on the calipers, somehow they'd rusted up in the 2 weeks they'd been off a car. After clearing the holes out with a tap they went on.

Next, found one of the bleed nippled had been partially sheered off :( Richard obviously wasn't aware of it, looks like it was done by the garage that changed his pads as the sheered area was fresh metal. Finally got that undone with a pipe wrench and a careful bit of heat.

After fitting them the passenger side was locking on, after further inspection found one of the pistons to be seized. Freed that up and finally got them working!

Must say that they are a big improvement over the worn old Jspecs, pedal feel isn't as positive, but there is a LOT more braking power - nearly put my head through the windscreen first time I tried a full stop :D

Not many pictures as it was dark by the time I finished.. Very pleased with this job, always liked the look of the UK brakes. You can also see how pitted the old Jspec discs were..

Will get it back to the MOT place soon and have front brake balance checked again, hopefully it'll be okay now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=119674&stc=1&d=1288464834

attachment.php?attachmentid=119675&stc=1&d=1288464834

Jspec brakes.jpg

UK Brakes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
186mph and found a speed limiter we did not know about, it was running a Mines ECU and SAFC !!!!! When we mapped it with the AEM and race fuel @2.5 bar it hit 211 mph with Dimitri on the laptop and me driving whilst wasting a Kawasaki ZX9R.
Awesome :D

I remember reading about this and homer telling me, but cant remember now, wasnt it the fasted na-t supra in europe? or was it the fastest 2jzgte supra in europe? becuase if it was a na then i think i know the car that this engine went into...

Not quite that fast but regained a bit of qudos back for the supra when it ran 10's first time out and won the RWD shootout at TOTB, I still say it was the 1st car built in the UK to run 10's, CRD got a 10 about 2 weeks previous but their car was a drag car imported from Japan and fair enough they did some mods but this silver car was stock right down to the Cats, it did in its time beat some of the really big name cars, Fennsport Corolla, Norris EVO, RG Developments EVO, CRD supra, it always drove to the events and the only time it never drove home was when the alarm malfunctioned, it then caught fire in the workshop that night which was a slight pain. I'm sure Darryl will get a V8 in her at some time!!!!!!

Edited by dude
added tags (see edit history)

Not quite that fast but regained a bit of qudos back for the supra when it ran 10's first time out and won the RWD shootout at TOTB, I still say it was the 1st car built in the UK to run 10's, CRD got a 10 about 2 weeks previous but their car was a drag car imported from Japan and fair enough they did some mods but this silver car was stock right down to the Cats, it did in its time beat some of the really big name cars, Fennsport Corolla, Norris EVO, RG Developments EVO, CRD supra, it always drove to the events and the only time it never drove home was when the alarm malfunctioned, it then caught fire in the workshop that night which was a slight pain. I'm sure Darryl will get a V8 in her at some time!!!!!!

And I was there to witness it :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice vids guys, always good to see what this car used to be able to do, it's a great motivation to get this thing going properly with a decent engine again :)

Some more updates (still related to the rebuild):

2k miles now covered and the car has been fine except:

- Clutch has start slipping - checking my options here before replacing it, really want an organic plate but can't find one that can handle the torque I'm planning for

- Issues continue with the climate control:

- Cabin heater only seems to heat to minimum setting

- Rear demister does not work

- Heater controls do not direct flow to the footwell

As the main dash loom was extensively hacked and then patched back in by myself I expected there were some wiring issues (likely some not so good solder connections!), I decided to replace the dash loom with one from Keron. Luckily he had a TT auto loom in stock which is a direct swap, really good price on this too :)

I also took this chance to replace the heater matrix with a patern part one (less than half the price of a Toyota one)

The dash has to come out to replace this, but it was actually much easier than expected, it only took 40 minutes to remove it.

See Jez's Heater Matrix replacement thread here for details on how to do this, it was a huge help: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?127044

First off, pull out all the dash panels, glove boxes and centre console (been here a few times already!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=126452&stc=1&d=1296947938

Next, drop the steering column, remove the loom plugs, unbolt the dash and carefully remove. Some people have said the dash is fragile, but I didn't find it difficult to remove or treat with care.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126453&stc=1&d=1296948300

Next, installed the replacement loom with the dash inside the house (warmer!), following the stock lines carefully. It's easy to miss how it goes in, so did it a small bit at a time, the new loom is on the right, the old on the left:

attachment.php?attachmentid=126454&stc=1&d=1296948638

New loom in, old one out. The mess behind is the rest of the dash/interior!

attachment.php?attachmentid=126455&stc=1&d=1296948743

At this point I didn't take any more pics of the heater matrix swap (got a bit carried away working on it and forgot about them), so all that remains is the completed pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=126456&stc=1&d=1296948847

After a drive this afternoon, it confirmed it had fixed:

- Rear window de-mist is now working

- heater directional controls now work

- heater dial is working (it can now detect interior temp before adjusting the heater servo)

What is not solved (main reason for doing this!!!):

- Cabin heat only provides minimum heat tempurature, though it is a little better than before. Next step... try pressurised coolant fill.

3.5 hours is all that took (plus 30 mins for the dash loom swap), it may look like a lot of work, but it really isn't that difficult :) For anyone else with needing to do this, I really recommend just to get stuck in with it and don't get put off by the horror stories of how complex it is - it isn't!!

Image0347.jpg

Image0358.jpg

Image0360.jpg

Image0366.jpg

Image0371.jpg

• 1 month later...

3.5 hours is all that took (plus 30 mins for the dash loom swap), it may look like a lot of work, but it really isn't that difficult :) For anyone else with needing to do this, I really recommend just to get stuck in with it and don't get put off by the horror stories of how complex it is - it isn't!!

Thats good to know :D

• 3 months later...

Another update :)

I've made some minor changes to the car:

- Orange "blob" side repeaters in the front bumper have been swapped for clear ones

- Headlights have been properly cleaned off using G3 cuttig agent, a massive improvement over past efforts

- Rear lights have been replaced with good condition items. The originals were cracked and in poor condition

- Passenger door swapped out for a new one - the paintwork (due to very old stickers) was beyond repair

- Stereo installed along with perfect condition stock facelift speakers. It actually sounds pretty good :)

- Coin tray fitted to fill the gap below the stereo

It's now covered 6k miles since it was back on the road, to be fair it's been pretty much faultless apart from two issues:

- PAS return line had started to crack and leak

- Clutch had got a LOT worse! My driving my not have helped :D

1) Orange blobs replaced:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134928&stc=1&d=1308703099

2) Headlights cleaned up (posted before on the forum), one complete, the other waiting ;) I know the bumper line is on the skew, that's more complex to fix than it might appear :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=134929&stc=1&d=1308703198

3) New rear lights. Not as nice as facelift, but at £30 from a local scrap yard it was a cheap improvement

attachment.php?attachmentid=134930&stc=1&d=1308703342

4) (cheap) stereo fitted along with coin tray (which cost nearly as much as the stereo!). I was fed up with having no music in the car, so took at the cost of about 5kg fitted a basic head unit and stock speakers for about £200. I forgot to take pics of speaker install, but they were mint condition when going in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134931&stc=1&d=1308703720

5) Clutch replacement, What an absolute nightmare this turned out to be! Lack of proper planning with the correct tools made this a very difficult and time consuming task, Wish I had taken it to a garage to do now. It did save me about £160 though :D

New Blueprint (Nippon) pressure plate, release bearing (Koyo), clutch (?? slightly different to stock) and 2nd hand but good flywheel ready and waiting

attachment.php?attachmentid=134932&stc=1&d=1308704119

Had a real hassle removing the box, due to lack of experience and mechanical knowledge, but got it off in the end. More force needed than I thought!

One set of very dead components!!! The friction plate was so badly worn the rivets holding it together were touching the presure plate and flywheel. God knows how it stayed in one peice :D

Flywheel:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134933&stc=1&d=1308704303

Pressure and friction plate:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134935&stc=1&d=1308704303

Friction plate:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134934&stc=1&d=1308704303

Ready for the change:

attachment.php?attachmentid=134937&stc=1&d=1308704848

After a very long struggle it'a all back together now and working as it should (still needs some turbo's!).

Huge thanks to everyone who's help in the last few months keep this project going. It's getting closer than ever to getting a proper engine and (subtle) paint job

Clear side repeaters.jpg

Image0446.jpg

New rear lights.jpg

Supra stereo.jpg

Image0462.jpg

dead flywheel.jpg

dead clutch 2.jpg

dead clutch.jpg

Image0464-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Last of the mechanical jobs are now complete :)

- Engine oil and filter replaced

- gearbox oil changed (again)

- Diff oil changed

Finally got around to repairing the seized spring seats on the front suspension so the ride height can be be lowered to where it should be.

First up was to order the new spring seats. It appeared to be a bit of a problem at the begining as the Tein suspension I had is discontinued. After a chat with Paul Whiffin he advised that the seats from the current Tein superstreets fitted. They're fairly expensive at around £30 a corner, but it was more cost effective than buying new ones.

Front suspension off the car. Very rusty and the spring seats will not move

attachment.php?attachmentid=135769&stc=1&d=1310503202

Next, dismantle and remove the old rings. Had a bit of trouble doing this, but following advice on here, compressed the springs and took off the top mount carefullly as they were still under pressure. Once the springs were off it was still not possible to move the seats so had to cut them off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=135770&stc=1&d=1310503350

Next cleaned the old rust off using a rotary wire brush. A great bit of kit, wished I'd bought one years ago. The struts came up great and found the rust was only a little surfce coating :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=135771&stc=1&d=1310503455

After a lick of anti-rust primer and some paint:

attachment.php?attachmentid=135772&stc=1&d=1310503547

And back together:

attachment.php?attachmentid=135773&stc=1&d=1310503710

Set them at the lowest level, but it's now got the correct ride height and drives lovely once again. All this just to lower the front an inch!

attachment.php?attachmentid=135774&stc=1&d=1310503874

So nothing really more to do on the car now mechanically sound apart from fix a small PAS leak.

Next up - the big and expensive part: Respray time :)

I'm tempted to get the damaged sill repaired, the spats removed, the front wings swapped for stock and it blown over in 199 silver for the time being, before changing the colour probably in the winter. The panel colour differences are very annoying and make the car look tatty :(

Tein old.jpg

Tein 3.jpg

Tein cleaned small.jpg

Tein 4.jpg

Tein 5.jpg

Supra lower.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've not been online here much due to getting engaged, moving house and a promotion at work, but thought that it might be worth updating this thread... :)

It's been over 2.5 years since the car was on the road and it's been pretty smooth sailing. The only issue I had was the clutch and flywheel needed a swap and a rear wheel bearing needed replacing. I also changed the brakes to "UK" spec ones which was well worth it, other than that I haven't taken a spanner to the car since mid 2011. I'm ashamed to say it hasn't even been serviced since the engine got pulled from the car in the junk yard in 2008. No new oil, plugs, filters, etc. It gets driven every day, starts first time and has never let me down. It gets treated hard, really hard, but the girl just keeps going without complaint.

Supra's are seriously tough machines, got to love them :)