My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about going R154 box now along with the 2JZ-GTE to avoid the stupid expense of the Getrag these days?

Too much hassle (lots of parts needed, and not all are very easy/cheap to source) and they're so expensive these days I'd rather just spend the extra and get a 6th gear and hassle-free install. Gone are the days when an r154 could be had for £100! Bloody drift boys are snapping them up.

Got a few contacts who can get the v160 for about the same as a r154 & all the bits needed to convert. If I do change it will probably be for a v160 or 161

Nice looking supe;)

Was that wing vent standard,I've seen them on a few supra's and like them

Not standard, they were made by the previous owner.

The ones you might have seen are from the widebody TRD supra, this one isn't a widebody, it's stock just with the same sized holes cut in.

Last little update before the next stage of the project starts...

Clocked up 300 miles this weekend and surprisingly the car has been perfect :blink: Didn't lose any oil, water, fluids, etc, brakes work fine, in fact it drives lovely :) Since the MOT I've not had to touch anything on the car other than put fuel in.

The only real fault is the rear view mirror has a bit of a rattle!

All set for Llandow :)

Next stage: Brakes and suspension. Brakes are already purchased (UK spec fronts, jspec rears with new pads and discs, new master cylinder), just waiting on delivery.

Suspension is undecided as yet.

TT engine is on the cards, but that won't be this year :)

Rob, will be interested to read your r154 thread when it comes up, I'm undecided on the box as yet, but am swaying towards the v16* options at the moment.

Next stage: Brakes and suspension. Brakes are already purchased (UK spec fronts, jspec rears with new pads and discs, new master cylinder), just waiting on delivery.

Suspension is undecided as yet.

TT is on the cards, but that won't be this year :)

BC's whifbitz have on a special would be my choice right now!

• 1 month later...

Little update as I'm moving on with some of the mods now.

1k miles later, the car has been absolutely fine so far, not taken a spanner to it since the MOT :)

After taking a friends NA supra for a drive last month it was clear there was lack of mid range power on mine, which after a trip to SRR and some checks by Ryan a issue with the timing was found. Ryan corrected this. Ryan also found a hose disconnected from the intake which we think was leaving the butteryfly open resulting in mid range torque drop.

Before and after dyno graph, about 6bhp gained at the top end but 30lb/ft gained in the mid range. Nice and healthy for an NA, but it's still far, far too slow for me, needs a new engine - with a couple of turbos ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=119401&stc=1&d=1288123994

Also picked up some UK front brakes from RichardStock, a real bargain at £320 :) Going to clean these up, paint them stock black and add some new Supra decals before fitting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=119402&stc=1&d=1288124144

Supra NA dyno1.jpg

UK Front brakes.jpg

1k miles later, the car has been absolutely fine so far, not taken a spanner to it since the MOT :)

After taking a friends NA supra for a drive last month it was clear there was lack of mid range power on mine, which after a trip to SRR and some checks by Ryan a issue with the timing was found. Ryan corrected this. Ryan also found a hose disconnected from the intake which we think was leaving the butteryfly open resulting in mid range torque drop.

Before and after dyno graph, about 6bhp gained at the top end but 30lb/ft gained in the mid range. Nice and healthy for an NA, but it's still far, far too slow for me, needs a new engine - with a couple of turbos ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119401&stc=1&d=1288123994

Also picked up some UK front brakes from RichardStock, a real bargain at £320 :) Going to clean these up, paint them stock black and add some new Supra decals before fitting.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119402&stc=1&d=1288124144

Awesome mate, was nice to meet you :D

Will be nice to see the brakes all painted up with new decals, hope you enjoy them :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119401&stc=1&d=1288123994

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=119402&stc=1&d=1288124144

if you need a hand on painting etc the callipers give me a shout :)

Cheers for the offers gents, but it didn't take too long :)

Satisfying job completed though! Before (the top glossy layer of paint has come off them over the years):

attachment.php?attachmentid=119591&stc=1&d=1288382329

After painting with Hamerite high temp paint (smooth finish)

attachment.php?attachmentid=119592&stc=1&d=1288382329

Sheet of decals (£10 off ebay). Basically just cut out the decal, peel the backing sheet off, apply the decal to the caliper and then peel off the clear front sheet:

attachment.php?attachmentid=119593&stc=1&d=1288382329

attachment.php?attachmentid=119594&stc=1&d=1288382329

All done:

attachment.php?attachmentid=119595&stc=1&d=1288382329

They are not as shiney as the picture makes them look, just the spolights in the kitchen reflecting!

attachment.php?attachmentid=119597&stc=1&d=1288382628

Hopefully will fit them at the weekend if the weather holds out

UK calipers before.jpg

UK Calipers after paint.jpg

UK decals.jpg

UK decals 2.jpg

UK decals 3.jpg

UK Brakes finished.jpg