My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, supra looks lovely, dont want to be a downer, but id go with a satin job, if you go pro i bet youll have stuff like hidden rust etc as it was a shell at one point and has been sitting down mostly? like it though!

Why would a proper paint job be worse than a satin paint job? I don't see the logic in that?

Why would a proper paint job be worse than a satin paint job? I don't see the logic in that?

Oh yea i didnt metion the main bit LOL, if he pays out for a pro job and finds rust and such, itll cost him an arm and a leg, when i stripped mine down i found rust, took it all off, coated it with oxide primer which prevents rust and then hammerite ontop which prevents rust, air and moisture cant get under the oxide and hammerite, but it can with normal primer, base and clear:cool: and ive got double protection basically.

Cool. Thanks Jamie, I'm really pleased with the interior, there's a few things that aren't perfect but the majority of the parts came from very low mileage cars (sub 30k miles) and are almost like new. It was also the cheapest part of the car to get done,

thanks to the incredible generosity from members of this club

Yup, supra looks lovely, dont want to be a downer, but id go with a satin job, if you go pro i bet youll have stuff like hidden rust etc as it was a shell at one point and has been sitting down mostly? like it though!

Not sure if it was clear in the post before, but I don't like satin so won't be doing it. I'd rather leave it as it is before doing that.

Regarding rust, I've been over this car almost an inch at a time and the only bit of rust is some surface rust where the old side skirts had been screwed into the sill, it's very, very minor and will be sorted out at some point. Apart from the many dings it got in the yard at Phoenix the shell is mint. The floor has no dents and even the sill/floor seams are like new.

I can't believe its NA now:(...............................she was soooooo fast once upon a time:search:

Sorry dude, she'll be back with a proper engine at some point! At least it's not been reduced to a cube, it's still faster than it could have turned out!!

Cheers guys.

Only clocked up about 20 miles today in the traffic but the car is fine to drive, the brakes are a bit noisy where they're still clearing the rust off, but are getting better every mile. Also need to get it to WIM to do the geo next week, can definetely feel the tracking is out.

So all seems fine really :) Hopefully will get to use it at Llandow if all is well

Keeping it NA for now Bri, just want to use the car for a good few months and see what falls off :D

V8 idea is off the cards, too much hassle and way too much money involved

2JZ GTE & BPU is the way to go, but don't have any plans on changing things anytime soon :)

Okay, gave the car a good shakedown today, after over 2 hours driving (motorway and twisty country roads) and about 50 miles it hasn't put a foot wrong :) The brakes are working MUCH better after putting them through a lot of hard braking, the discs have pretty much cleared themselves and are now a silver rather than rust colour.

Took the car up to 100mph and seems to cruise fine. It's also okay though the gears and seems fine going to redline through the first 4 gears.

There are some "issues" though..

- Drivetrain is a bit noisy, pretty sure it's the gearbox so will check the oil level again

- Even though the brakes are clear they are still imbalanced, the car seems to want to spin when under extreme braking (as much force as I can put on the brake pedal). The front slowly starts to go left and the rear wants to come around, it's not noticable normally, only on 100% braking. It seems to be the front left calliper as it's not getting as hot as the other brakes, so will have a look into this more..

- Clutch is a bit 'juddery', it needs about 2k rpm to pull away smoothly, hopefully this will clear with more use, it's not as bad as it used to be

Little pic today taken in the woods, makes a change from the pics of it sat outside my house :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=116866&stc=1&d=1284228086

Supe forest.jpg

Nice one mate, must be nice driving round in a supra after all this time, enjoy:)

Cheers mate, it certainly is! A bit nerve wracking at the begining, especially giving it some beans but soon got over it :D

Nice one Darryl,

WRT the noisy drivetrain, I don't know if na has the same but the TT had a rubber cover which allowed inspection to the flywheel, mine was missing and I had a noisy drivetrain, when I just fitted one a lot of the drivetrain noise disapperared :)

I'm almost certain they are in place but will check tomorrow, good suggestion, thanks Jay :thumbs: