My new Supra/rebuilding Dude's drag car

Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys :) It's been a long haul and apart from the odd update here and there hadn't really worked on the car for 2 years. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel now!

Todays quick diary update (only had an hour free):

Sorted out the hand brake. Took the easy option and wound the adjuster on the lever right in, handbrake now works and only needs 6 clicks to fully lock the wheels

attachment.php?attachmentid=115693&stc=1&d=1282418344

Decided where to install the side repeaters, thanks to The Raven for the suggestion earlier in the year. I'll get some lightly smoked ones at some point as these make it look like the car has zits. They'll do for the MOT though... Just need to wire them in.

Also gave the headlamps a good clean with some rubbing compound to get the brightness back. These were mentioned as a warning on the MOT list.

attachment.php?attachmentid=115695&stc=1&d=1282418375

Image0138.jpg

supe 112.jpg

Think I found the issue with the front driver side caliper, one of the sliders was fine, the other (top) was frozen solid. The inside of the disc was hardly getting any braking force as only one piston was able to move, pushing only the outer edge of the inside pad onto the disc.

Tried everything to get it moving but ended up bending the slider after putting a breaker bar on it. Willl have to junk this caliper :(

I have purchased some front UK brakes off another member here, but they won't be availble for at least a month, so need to source a caliper otherwise the car is going nowhere for another month.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116020&stc=1&d=1283018271

Pic of the brake pads. The inside one is much so thin it's started to break apart. I guess it had issues before I bought these calipers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116021&stc=1&d=1283018271

Inside vs outer disc, hardly any of the pad was touching the disc on the inside, but where is was touching the pad was rubbing even when the brakes were not on

attachment.php?attachmentid=116022&stc=1&d=1283018271

Image0146.jpg

Image0149.jpg

Discs 32.jpg

Another quick update since I had a couple of hours free this afternoon. Ticked 5 more items off the MOT sheet, only 2 left to go :)

- Wired in the side repeaters. I extended the side repeater wiring to the new location instead of chopping into the front ones, probably a bit safer for load.

- Alligned the headlamps (hopefully!)

- Changed the front drivers caliper for a working replacement (thanks littlenum, got a good price on it!). Also used the pads that came with it as the old ones were shot.

The front brakes are still terrible though, it brakes better in reverse than going forward :D Think it's just that the pads are now braking on the rusty areas of the disc that never used to get touched due to the faulty slider.

- Also finally sourced a black interior light, bloody hard to find one of these!! That's the interior complete at last :)

Having a few problems finding a red bulb for the fog light (the simplest things are now holding me up) and also need to find a brake line bracket.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116358&stc=1&d=1283539060

Image0152.jpg

Another quick update since I had a couple of hours free this afternoon. Ticked 5 more items off the MOT sheet, only 2 left to go :)

- Wired in the side repeaters. I extended the side repeater wiring to the new location instead of chopping into the front ones, probably a bit safer for load.

- Alligned the headlamps (hopefully!)

- Changed the front drivers caliper for a working replacement (thanks littlenum, got a good price on it!). Also used the pads that came with it as the old ones were shot.

The front brakes are still terrible though, it brakes better in reverse than going forward :D Think it's just that the pads are now braking on the rusty areas of the disc that never used to get touched due to the faulty slider.

- Also finally sourced a black interior light, bloody hard to find one of these!! That's the interior complete at last :)

Having a few problems finding a red bulb for the fog light (the simplest things are now holding me up) and also need to find a brake line bracket.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=116358&stc=1&d=1283539060

Get some red spray paint and give it a light spray over!!! or nail polish! I'm sure you must have some laying around 'for the weekend'!

Get some red spray paint and give it a light spray over!!! or nail polish! I'm sure you must have some laying around 'for the weekend'!

lol, I actually bought some nail polish the other day.. had to get a 4 pack of Stella to balance it out though. Not sure what the checkout lady thought :blink:

It didn't work though, the bulb is still a pinkish colour. Will try it again with another bulb

lol, I actually bought some nail polish the other day.. had to get a 4 pack of Stella to balance it out though. Not sure what the checkout lady thought :blink:

It didn't work though, the bulb is still a pinkish colour. Will try it again with another bulb

Haha, thats quality! She was either thinking you were a proper weird tranny or you were going home to tart up a woman then bash her face in!

While you're online Graham, what do you make of this brake sheet? It seems there's very little force in the front brakes... One was due to the sliding caliper sticking, but the other one should be okay shouldn't it?

Also what does the "max" value mean at the end?

attachment.php?attachmentid=116359&stc=1&d=1283541527

Image0153.jpg

Thats a bit of a posh brake tester....

Basically, that is saying every brake is working, and looks like its giving decent readings trying to calculate compaired to my machine, ony issue is that seized slider that will cause them both to go 'up' at different rates (34%).. Both front wheels have locked on their machine so they work!! As your getting a poor feeling pedal, it will be down to the corrosion on the discs. They look servicable and i'd say after a fair bit of use they will be fine..

99.9% sure that will go back and be fine next time round mate..

Cheers mate, thats reassuring to know :) makes more sense now!

The machine they had was like nothing I've seen before at an MOT centre. They had a button that juddered the entire car side to side, up and down while it was up in the air, not a small amount either! Never seen one of those used before.

why not just modify the loom so one or both of the brake lights double up as fogs?

That's a fair point mate, however I'd rather keep the full set of brake lights. Even though I bought all the parts to do the switch between brakes/fogs I really don't have time to do the wiring :(

Although you've given me an idea :idea: I have a spare set of rear light looms, so will replace one of the brake light holders in the place of the reverse lamp, that way I can just use a normal brake light bulb for the fog.

Thanks Si :thumbs:

That's a fair point mate, however I'd rather keep the full set of brake lights. Even though I bought all the parts to do the switch between brakes/fogs I really don't have time to do the wiring :(

Although you've given me an idea :idea: I have a spare set of rear light looms, so will replace one of the brake light holders in the place of the reverse lamp, that way I can just use a normal brake light bulb for the fog.

Thanks Si :thumbs:

send me the spare looms etc.. and i'll do it - if you want...

Cheers mate, thats reassuring to know :) makes more sense now!

The machine they had was like nothing I've seen before at an MOT centre. They had a button that juddered the entire car side to side, up and down while it was up in the air, not a small amount either! Never seen one of those used before.

LOL sounds like one of the many machines a vechicle is tested with over here as last good number of years. Should give you an idea how good the car have to be over here to get a MOT.

By the way the cars looking good mate:thumbs:

Finally found a fog lamp bulb that fits the reverse holder, so that's ticked off the list now.

Just need to source a front brake line clip to get it back for the MOT. If anyone has one please let me know, details here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=227339

As this the first stage of this project is now almost complete, thought I'd post some pics of showing what it looks like now. Quite a change from the first few pages of this thread :)

The first picture here shows the biggest issue with the car now - the paint doesn't match, no surprise really as the shell was re-sprayed and the rest of the panels come from 5 different cars! Will really need a full respray to solve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116439&stc=1&d=1283633473

The spats really need to be removed as they just don't work without skirts (and I do not want those). Will wait until the paint happens before taking them off as it'll only look worse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116440&stc=1&d=1283633473

attachment.php?attachmentid=116441&stc=1&d=1283633473

Interior is almost mint. Just need to give it a vacuum and replace the handbrake lever to get it mint.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116442&stc=1&d=1283633473

attachment.php?attachmentid=116443&stc=1&d=1283633473

attachment.php?attachmentid=116445&stc=1&d=1283633491

attachment.php?attachmentid=116446&stc=1&d=1283633491

Image0155.jpg

Image0156.jpg

Image0159.jpg

Image0162.jpg

Image0163.jpg

Image0164.jpg

Image0166.jpg