Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest dangerousandy
Just out of interest, have you considered one of the Jaguar A-J series V8 engines? Fairly lightweight and they're available for very little at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

This would be an interesting conversion, as I remember reading in Jaguar World magazine (I used to be a Jag lover.....) they did a bellhousing conversion to fit the Supra JZA80 5-speed manual box to the 4.0 AJ-V8 Jaguar V8, so XK8's & XKR's could be converted to manual transmission! If I can find the magazine, I will scan in the article. Then again, whats the point of sticking a AJ-V8 in a Supra because the XK8/XKR looks quite similar to a Supra in some respects and are quite cheap now, and a Lexus V8 would be more in keeping etc......

do'h :(

• 5 months later...

After 9 months of not really doing anything with the car (too busy at work), started on it again today.

First up - start it. Keeping in mind it's not been started in 7 months, it fired up on the first turn of the key and sounded sweet. No problems at all :)

Was supposed to get a lot done but a simple job turned into 5 hours work, as normal! First was to figure out why the speedo always did this with the key in:

attachment.php?attachmentid=93361&stc=1&d=1243705802

Eventually realised the problem, the dial faces had come from a UK car and at some point must of had the needle off (presumbly after it was crashed). Took the needle off, reset everything and replaced it and it's now working right. Also replaced some faulty bulbs in the dash and got the warning lights, main beam and handbrake warning lights working again. Also found out the ABS sensor wasn't connected (oops), but it's still showing the abs warning light... Need to look into that more.

Next was to fit the kph conversion and delimiter, easy job this one thankfully! Also checked and seems to be working, but a little hard to check as I can only get to 15 mph in the culdesac. Also gave it it's first wash in a year, there was about 1/2in of moss on the bootlid and all the rubbers had green stuff growing in them

attachment.php?attachmentid=93362&stc=1&d=1243706219

Next job is to bleed the brakes and replace one of the doors, but will need some help for that (rob ;) )

Also picked up a set of stock 16's with nearly new tyre's on for only £40 last week, so will put those on too.

30 (5) speedo.jpg

30 (2) supra.jpg

? they are stock with holes in?

Yep (although rather nicely done, edges are rounded, the back panels painted black and decent quality sprayed mesh, which after 4 years still looks like new). Dude did a great job on these.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few hours free today and some helping hands so got a few jobs done.

Rewired the faulty ABS sensor and no more ABS errors :) Not too happy about the way I needed to wire it, so will be a job for the future to replace the entire wire and sensor. That's all the errors codes fixed and no more warning lights on the dash.

Also changed the drivers door for another stock silver one, without any stickers. The door was a complete unit and at only £30 a bargain and easier to replace than get repainted. It came with a rare powered folding mirror but numb nuts here managed to break the mechanism thinking it was a non-folding one. Stuck the other one back on instead.

Also finally got the brakes working properly. After another bleed, found a small leak on the join the passenger front brake line. Tightened it up extra tight and it's okay now, but will replace the flexible line and solid line just to be sure. Bled the front again and after loads of air bubbles it cleared and the brakes seem to be working great now. Obviously they are still very rusty through not being used and need a good run on the road to clear the discs off properly.

Huge thanks to Rob (The Punisher) for coming over today and helping with the door fitting and brake bleeding.

Only one pic to add today, no more door stickers! Still in two minds whether to remove the Vortex power ones, but think they will be gone soon...

33Image0121.jpg

It came with a rare powered folding mirror but numb nuts here managed to break the mechanism thinking it was a non-folding one. Stuck the other one back on instead.

Possibly not broken Daryl, they can feel busted and floppy but if you switch them out and in a couple of times they should click back into place and work again, done it to mine several times :D

Whats rare about electric folding mirrors, I will have a silver set up for grabs some time in the future.

So, jobs that still need to be done

- Figure out why the horn is on all the timne when it's plugged in

- Fit correct holding bracket to offside rear brake line

- Get a new drop link for nearside rear

- Change exhaust to a stock one (waiting on Mawby/Ash for this)

- Fix drivers door strap

- Fit the stock 16's (darn valves were knackered in two of them)

- Fit the sunvisors (need to pick up from Wez)

- Fit fog light

And thats about it, it's really minor stuff now, so just need to find the time to do them.

Possibly not broken Daryl, they can feel busted and floppy but if you switch them out and in a couple of times they should click back into place and work again, done it to mine several times :D

Whats rare about electric folding mirrors, I will have a silver set up for grabs some time in the future.

Ah. thanks bud, they're the ones that fold in when you press the dash button. They seem to be quite rare as people are always asking for them and never getting anywhere. The car doesn't have the right loom for the folding thing to work, so had to remove it. At least it'll be saleable if it's not bust!

Just for info, they are slightly heavier than the non-folding ones :D

Still, it's another job on the list as I need to change the door loom as the plugs are different for the folding mirrors. Nevermind, got about 6 of these looms now!

So, jobs that still need to be done

- Figure out why the horn is on all the timne when it's plugged in

Don't forget the horn is ground triggered, so your best is a multimeter and work your way back from the steering wheel (Using the ring on the steering wheel is at fault)

Had a few hours free today and some helping hands so got a few jobs done.

It came with a rare powered folding mirror but numb nuts here managed to break the mechanism thinking it was a non-folding one. Stuck the other one back on instead.

what did you do to the mirror?

if you just forced it in to the folded in position its not broken (gone floppy)and will relocate if you power it up to power out

Don't forget the horn is ground triggered, so your best is a multimeter and work your way back from the steering wheel (Using the ring on the steering wheel is at fault)

No idea how the horn works and not even looked at the wiring yet Gav but thanks for the tip :) Hopefully your phone will be turned on next weekend ;) :D

How easy/hard did you find it to change the door Darryl? :)

Very easy indeed (takes 5-10 minutes), you just need a mate to hold it while doing up the bolts. They are pretty heavy.

what did you do to the mirror?

if you just forced it in to the folded in position its not broken (gone floppy)and will relocate if you power it up to power out

That's good then! I only tried to move it from the folded position to the normal one (As you would with a non-folding one), as you say it's all gone a bit floppy now!

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the thought. Though they are cheap to buy I want something which has significant long term potential for modification and at an acceptable cost, hence looking at the sb and bb US engines. Parts are incredibily cheap and available off the shelf and most engines can reach 2JZ single power figures (or more) for a fraction of the cost.

I've recently been looking at some of the tuning options for Mustangs, and stumbled accross this Ford 'Aluminator' engine. Basically a Hybrid of the 4.6 litre Mustang "terminator" engine (IE Forged crank, pistons and rods) with a reinforced alloy block from a non supercharged Mustang.

Apparently these are only a little heavier than thier GM counterpart, while not costing much more than a used LS engine over here. Also, there's no need to worry about stronger internals should you wish to go forced induction. The bell housing pattern is common with the T56 Tremec transmission found in Vipers, camaros and some Mustangs.

Hows the car coming along by the way?

I've recently been looking at some of the tuning options for Mustangs, and stumbled accross this Ford 'Aluminator' engine. Basically a Hybrid of the 4.6 litre Mustang "terminator" engine (IE Forged crank, pistons and rods) with a reinforced alloy block from a non supercharged Mustang.

Apparently these are only a little heavier than thier GM counterpart, while not costing much more than a used LS engine over here. Also, there's no need to worry about stronger internals should you wish to go forced induction. The bell housing pattern is common with the T56 Tremec transmission found in Vipers, camaros and some Mustangs.

Hows the car coming along by the way?

Yeah, I remember reading about those a while ago, good for forced induction but expensive to build up. THe LS series make far more sense longer term in upgradabilty, parts availabilty and cost.

Anyway, the V8 plan is off the cards now. No time, not enough money.

The car is pretty much finished, but have no time to do the last few things:

- Fog light mod

- Replace a drop link

- Wire in facelift indicators

- Fix horn

- Get some stock wheelnuts

- Change over a rear wheel/tyre

- Refit stock exhaust

- Get some new windscreen wipers

Should be able to get that done in a day, but don't have any spare ones. So near but yet so far!

Currently looks like this (UK 17in wheels now fitted, thanks Pig/supraloopy!):

attachment.php?attachmentid=104373&stc=1&d=1264795818

Supra 2988.jpg