Homer

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that the gearbox issue is fixed and the missing temp sesnor is sourced (thanks Little num!), the gear oil is now in and the coolant topped up. Also bought a new high powered battery. So, booked it in for an MOT in the week... Sadly that was tempting fate as when I came to bleed the PAS system this evening, one of the high pressure lines split spraying oil all over the engine bay, driveway and myself. £40 worth of ATF takes a lot of mopping up!

So, MOT now cancelled and now looking for a new PAS line (£96 from Toyota!!).

Seems I missed a deep cut in the PAS line, it was bought from a scrap yard and I guess someone had cut into it at some point while the engine was removed from the car.

On the plus side, the engine was running lovely before the line went.

Getting close now then Homer... What else is there to do once MOT'd?

Yep, it's very close, but Suprapod is now ruled out, not enough time left as I only have weekends to work on it :( The only way is to get a PAS line tomorrow, but don't fancy my chances!

It needs a fog light adding and the brake system needs bleeding again as there's not much pedal pressure. One of the ABS sensors is faulty so need to replace that, but can live without ABS in the mean time.

Oh and a set of wheels!

Nearly there, gonna try and have it done for suprapod mate?

As above J, little to no chance really. Was a long shot really, but with the gearbox issue and having no spare time it was never really going to happy.

Still gutted as it would have been nice to take the car there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats it, the car is more or less finished :)

The electric windows now work, I had missed part of the wiring loom in the door which still had remnants of the clifford alarm on it, simple rewire needed. Also fitted the front number plate (Thanks Juanchan for sending the plate holder for free :thumbs: )

Now it's just a case of some simple items for the MOT:

- Fog light mod

- Reinstall the cat I lent to SBDJ

- Get small hole on the exhaust welded

- Bleed PAS system

- Bleed ABS and brake system

Can't do most of those until the cat is back as it's too noisy starting the car with no exhaust.

• 1 month later...

Usual story, no time to work on the car, but have been getting little jobs done here and there. Picked up a complete spare drivers door today (thanks fire148 for the bargian!), the stickers won't come off the current one so it's cheaper to get a new door rather than paint them.

It's now running almost fine, and some proof it actually works :D Can't do much more than this as there's no MOT, tax, etc

wg6aBjj4c6k

Just the following to do now:

- Figure out why there's no heat getting to the cabin, engine is getting too hot. Probably an air lock...

- Fix hole in exhaust (can be heard in the video)

- Repair broken ABS wire

- Fog light mod

Must be nice looking at it thinking 'I've done that' :)

Thanks for the comments folks, and Jazzy, yep, it's so nice to be able to drive the car seeing as how it started out. Really looking forward to doing the final few bits for the MOT but will need some hands on help for that, yet again

Nearly done....... for now :eyebrows:

:D

For now, yes :D

I'd bought a 454 big block Chevy, but it turned out to be a dud so didn't go through with it in the end. Yesterday I bought a built 460 ford motor as it was a last minute sale and bargain price (£350), but am having serious 2nd thoughts. It's an incredibly torquey motor but the weight is high.. seriously high..

The LS1 would be ideal but the purchase price and conversion is so expensive it's not going to happen anytime soon, hence looking at less ideal motors for now.

I'd bought a 454 big block Chevy, but it turned out to be a dud so didn't go through with it in the end. Yesterday I bought a built 460 ford motor as it was a last minute sale and bargain price (£350), but am having serious 2nd thoughts. It's an incredibly torquey motor but the weight is high.. seriously high..

The LS1 would be ideal but the purchase price and conversion is so expensive it's not going to happen anytime soon, hence looking at less ideal motors for now.

Just out of interest, have you considered one of the Jaguar A-J series V8 engines? Fairly lightweight and they're available for very little at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

Just out of interest, have you considered one of the Jaguar A-J series V8 engines? Fairly lightweight and they're available for very little at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

Thanks for the thought. Though they are cheap to buy I want something which has significant long term potential for modification and at an acceptable cost, hence looking at the sb and bb US engines. Parts are incredibily cheap and available off the shelf and most engines can reach 2JZ single power figures (or more) for a fraction of the cost.

From what I remember of researching US V8s, I don't think I'd go for a big block. They are big (:)), incredibly heavy, and expensive to modify.

IIRC, the small block Ford (can't remember if Windsors or Clevelands are the ones to go for) is smaller and lighter, but the parts for a small block Chevy are easier to find and cheaper.

From what I remember of researching US V8s, I don't think I'd go for a big block. They are big (:)), incredibly heavy, and expensive to modify.

IIRC, the small block Ford (can't remember if Windsors or Clevelands are the ones to go for) is smaller and lighter, but the parts for a small block Chevy are easier to find and cheaper.

The Chevy LS1 is probably the best as a transplant due to its weight (Approx 40kg lighter than a 2JZ apparently), although the parts look alot more expensive than the others (Certainly than the Ford lumps)

Thanks for the thought. Though they are cheap to buy I want something which has significant long term potential for modification and at an acceptable cost, hence looking at the sb and bb US engines. Parts are incredibily cheap and available off the shelf and most engines can reach 2JZ single power figures (or more) for a fraction of the cost.

There's a fair amount of info on tuning the Jaguar lumps on the 'net (Some NA race engines seem to produce in excess of 700hp!) Like you said though, when you factor in the costs of parts for the American engines there is no argument.