Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys :)

I'm really pleased this job is out of the way, it's a major step forward in the project. The only major things to do now is fit the diff, prop and one missing driveshaft. Once thats done it's just a case of hooking up the fuel system, PAS lines, the ECU/fusebox plugs, 2nd cat, exhaust and few other little things and it should be ready for a test fireup. If all goes well I'll give it a full service then it's off for an MOT and suspension reallignment.

Got the gearbox mount fitted today and one of the engine mounts secured (managed to lose one of the mount bolts, so need to buy another :( )

Also seem to have lost the bolt that secures the selector to the shaft, but have got the selector in, thankfully it all lined up correctly with the trans tunnel mod done last month (phew - and thanks to jezz for the advice earlier on this otherwise I'd probably have got it wrong!)

The PAS cooler and lines are hooked up, seems they are interchangeable between the NA and TT which saved some hassle. The Air con lines are also connected up.

Battery terminals are connected and one of the ECU plugs installed. I now have the oposite issue to the NA-TT conversion where the 2nd plug does not fit (TT fusebox, NA connector), so will asking some advice from the guys who've done the NA-TT conversion ;)

Most of the water and vacuum lines are conencted up and the air intake fitted but have an issue with one of the sensors (thread in tech!).

The fuel filter bolt is frozen (the filter collapsed on itself when trying undo it!) so need to get another fuel filter, banjo and line to the rail.

The aux belt is completely shot, so will order a new one tomorrow and fit that before connecting up the rad and installing the fan shroud. The engine was also tagged with a spray can while in the scrap yard (not sure why they do this), so started to clean that up, but it's going to take a while! Cam covers are removed and will get a repaint later in the week.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80157&stc=1&d=1218392599

attachment.php?attachmentid=80156&stc=1&d=1218392599

attachment.php?attachmentid=80155&stc=1&d=1218392599

16Image067 (3).jpg

16Image067.jpg

16Image067 (4).jpg

Bit short on time these days so only get about an hour to spend in the evening...

Got the prop, diff and one of the driveshafts installed. Need to buy some 10mm and 12mm hex sockets to torque them up.. Also still need to find a driveshaft for the drivers side :search:

It looks like I'm missing the centre exhaust support bracket, does anyone know where it should be?

attachment.php?attachmentid=80320&stc=1&d=1218652369

diff.jpg

Don't panic if you don't have an exhaust hanger, it may have been removed for some reason. I've got a mig welder and I'm sure my mate Phil can get a hanger from work.

Nice one Gav. Think I might be a bit of a div here, but there are still the two stock hangers in place - left and right sides just infront of the diff, you can see the right one in the picture above. Is this where the aftermarket cat back exhausts normally connect (obviously on the left hand side)

Edit - here's the pics of the exhaust and the hanger...

attachment.php?attachmentid=80321&stc=1&d=1218654823

/me wonders if it will it be ready in time for Llandow/Supra Pod :innocent:

Thats what I'm aiming for, but there is still a LOT to do so it'll be touch and go!

dunk.jpg

How many bits of other peoples car has gone into yours i wonder, i think everyone that has contributed should have a lap at Llandow,:D

*checks parts list* Yep, nothing donated from the 'num' brothers, so all should be okay :p :D

An NA race perhaps? But I won't be driving the NA, I'll let Mel drive :)

Erm, can I back out of that challenge quickly? Not sure I want to run the risk of getting beaten by a lady, I'd never live it down :D

*checks parts list* Yep, nothing donated from the 'num' brothers, so all should be okay :p :D

Erm, can I back out of that challenge quickly? Not sure I want to run the risk of getting beaten by a lady, I'd never live it down :D

lol,:D, you must need something.

Short update, no pics this time

- Fuel ECU and pump loom rewired back to stock

- Aftermarket fuel lines and filter removed

- Exhaust and 2nd decat installed

- Everything in the engine bay connected up (with a couple of exceptions, see below)

- Shifter properly fitted

Hopefully Jezz will be able to send the few remaining parts:

- Drivers side driveshaft

- Fuel tank donut

- Fuel hose from filter to rail

- 2x heater matrix pipes (managed to crush them fitting the engine :rolleyes: )

- IAT sensor

- Aux belt

Then it's a case of doing the fluids (brake, PAS, Clutch and coolant) and it should be ready for starting :)

After a call with Jezz the fusebox loom issue was solved - only took a few minutes!

Wires out of the NA plug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80433&stc=1&d=1218910774

Fitted into the TT plug:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80431&stc=1&d=1218910774

Also fitted the newly painted engine cover and air intake duct, still need to clean up the rest of the paint off the engine, but thats not a priority.

attachment.php?attachmentid=80432&stc=1&d=1218910774

So, now thats the last thing hooked up, it was time to test the in-car electrics. Fitted an old battery that had been fully charged, fitted and and surprise - no fuses blew, no fire, nothing (well expect the horn stuck on all the time, which didn't half make me jump!).

So, with the horn disconnected until I can figure out whats arong with it, started going through the interior..

What is working:

- Heater controls and fans

- odo and warning panel

- right hand warning panel

- right hand rear lights

- indicators

- Drivers headlamp

- Electric wing mirrors

- Windscreen wipers

- dash lights

What is not working:

- Rear window demister

- AC (known as it's got no gas in it)

- left side rear lights, everything is lit up when the lights are on

Then I realised the passenger headlamp was not plugged in, so did that, tried again and most stuff immediatly stopped working :( Tested the battery on and off the car and it's dropped to 7volts, so hopefully it's just that being duff thats caused it. So, now need to buy a new battery and start again with the testing. No fuses appear to have blown yet, which is a surprise!

Thanks to Hadyn for the free rad cap :thumbs:

Jezz is now supplying the rest of the parts needed (mentioned in the last update) which should hopefully arrive Tues/Weds, after which it should just be a case of installing them, putting some fuel and water in and firing it up :)

The only thing I know thats missing it the upper rad/fan cover...

19Image068 (5).jpg

19Image068 (4).jpg

19Image068 (1).jpg