Homer

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the info D that's good to know :innocent:

So the reason you have to do it is to locate the shifter in the right place?

Does the Getrag box physically fit in the trans tunnel regardless?

To your first question, yes. To the 2nd question, almost a cetain yes.

The plate seems to be needed to accomodate the shifter mechanism rather that the box itself. Look at a full V160 and you'll see it for yourself :)

Edit - that is unless you refer to the "rest" of the tunnel? They are the same on all supra's so any transmission can fit in there. The shifter mechansim is the issue as it sits on-top of the gearbox itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Very little real progress recently, still waiting for people to be available to help fit the engine :( My father was going to help this weekend but was called into hospital for a knee opp, which will put him out of action for 4 months.

But in the mean time got a few little jobs done:

- Rewired the headlights and indicator wiring (found these to be hacked - suprise, suprise!)

- Fitted front indicators

- Fitted battery terminal wiring & battery tray

- Fitted charcoal canister

- Final fitting of brake lines

- Replaced the incorrect bolt holding the lower front arm on

- Installed all lamp bulbs (it came with none)

- Fitted front bumper with new bumper mounts

- Nearly managed to remove 2nd fuel line...

- Fully fitted the door cards

- Fitted rear view mirror

- Fitted drivers pillar trim (had to trim up one from a hardtop, can't get aero bits anywhere!)

- Re-torqued all calipers and suspension

..and tons of other stuff I'm forgotten about

There's something wrong with the suspension on the drivers side rear still. No matter what I do the wheel has a huge amount of negative toe. Either the upper or lower arm must be bent as all the other parts have been replaced.

Also reburbed the headlights as they were in a terrible state, very yellow and misty. Amazing what a little (5 hours!) cleaning and painting can do. They were so bad I had to resort to sand paper to take the top layer off, if trying this yourself, I highly recommend getting 2500 or 3000 grit papare as it makes the job SO much easier and the finish pretty much flawless.

Before:

attachment.php?attachmentid=79361&stc=1&d=1217188091

After:

attachment.php?attachmentid=79362&stc=1&d=1217188091

attachment.php?attachmentid=79364&stc=1&d=1217189099

Also painted the dash. Was really pleased how this came out, the colour was a bit of a chance (just picked it off the shelf on Halfords), but it turned out just what I was aiming for. It's Ford Graphite Grey Metallic. I've left it without laquer so it doesn't go shiney (can't stand the reflections you get on some painted dashes)

attachment.php?attachmentid=79363&stc=1&d=1217188479

Only parts that I need to source now is a drivers side driveshaft (Hopefully Terminator is sorting this out) and the donut that holds the pump hanger in place

Also a quick few thanks:

- Scooter for providing a 3inch cat back for free! Thanks mate :thumbs:

- Deano H for the nicely priced stock airbox and system

- Lukeboy2k for sending the indicator wiring for free :)

Total spend so far: £884.98

headlights before.jpg

heqadlights after.jpg

painted dash.jpg

lights after 2.jpg

Looking good Darryl :)

Gotta say i really like the colour of the dash too :cool:

Thanks Trig, the photo really doesn't do it justice (crappy phone cam again!). It's a bit lighter in real life and there is a little more of a metallic look to it. Really must get a proper digi cam...

Got a few little jobs done today so everything is ready for the install next Saturday.

First was to get the engine out of the trailer and give it a good going over. It all looks good, the oil and filter look like new so it looks like it's been cared for (will replace them anyway)

One of the engine mounts is broken where the engine was dropped while being removed in the scrap yard (only about 1 foot, but had a soft landing on the front clip of the scrap supra - which near bent it in half!). Other than that, no damage, no apparent leaks, etc...

Borrowed a hoist from a helpful neighbour!

attachment.php?attachmentid=79739&stc=1&d=1217705978

Engine now on an improvised 'stand' until next week :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=79740&stc=1&d=1217706071

Also started removing the door decals (which is proving to be a royal PITA to get some of them off...)

attachment.php?attachmentid=79741&stc=1&d=1217706137

Just need to get all the fluids and filters purcashed for the install (and hopefully) fire-up next weekend :)

14Image066 (1).jpg

14Image066.jpg

14Image066 (2).jpg

Hair dryer is great for removing stickers;) not that you will have one:p

Lol, not used one for it's intended purpose since I was 18 :D Actually I bought one years ago to remove some stickers from the last supra, tried it again today and it helped with two of them, but the other are so old I'm scraping them off a few mm at a time and it's damaging the paint...

Dash looks great Darryl :thumbs:

Petrol is best thing you can use to help get the stickers off / any left over adhesive :)

Ahah, thanks Brian, I'll give it a try :thumbs: Was going to start using some chemicals but most don't react well with paint work :D

Ahah, thanks Brian, I'll give it a try :thumbs: Was going to start using some chemicals but most don't react well with paint work :D

Damp cloth, petrol (regular unleaded will do!) cover the stickers and let the petrol soak in with getting the stickers off as quick as you can to then rinse the area with water to avoid paint damage :Pling:

Guest CoolsBlue
or nail polish remover...works a treat. just polish the paintwork after to remove any traces

just make sure its not acetone nail polish or it will bite through the paint...

Just found this pic of both of my supra's together, way back in November 2003. What are the chances of that! :cool:

The silver one is Dudes car, the black one is the one I bought from Paul Evans before joining here :) John had titled the photo "My toys" :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=80009&stc=1&d=1218151910

toys 002.jpg

Gav and I finally got the engine and box in today (in the rain!)

It was a bit of a struggle, but with a bot of manuvering it dropped in eventually.

Some pics of the rare sight of an NA engine being installed ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=80087&stc=1&d=1218301850

Forgot just how big a 2JZ is! We failed on this 1st attempt and had to take the hoist to it's furthest reach at the 1/2 ton mark to get the correct reach. It was times like this I'm thankful for a proper engine hoist!

attachment.php?attachmentid=80088&stc=1&d=1218301850

Gav doing the work while I stand around taking pics :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=80089&stc=1&d=1218301850

attachment.php?attachmentid=80090&stc=1&d=1218301850

attachment.php?attachmentid=80091&stc=1&d=1218301850

Once again a huge thanks to Justgav for giving up another afternoon to help out :thumbs:

15Image070 (4).jpg

15Image070 (5).jpg

15Image070 (3).jpg

15Image070 (1).jpg

15Image070.jpg

Gav and I finally got the engine and box in today (in the rain!)

It was a bit of a struggle, but with a bot of manuvering it dropped in eventually.

Some pics of the rare sight of an NA engine being installed ;)

More than welcome chap, was a good job done, should be relatively straight forward to get up and running now :)