The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone own a E46 m3 here

n boost

I have bought a e46 m3 and have had it for around 2 mths now.

If anyone here owns one or has driven one(not just down the road) what did u think of it?

I must say i am suprised at the whole package i.e comfort/luxury and performance and am saying this coming out of a single turbo 6 speed supra.

It is not the fastest car in the world but the chassis is spot on and handling is great.

The S54 engine loves to rev and is suprisingly quick for a N/a.

The one thing you do learn is that modifiying is a very expensive game with these and you realise a supra is the way to go for bang per buck as a complete exhaust on the m3 is over 2K alone and will give you 15-20 bhp and after this you are stuck unless you spend big bucks.

As an overall package the m3 is a great car but does have high maintanence costs, oil is around £90 alone and only available from BMW.

So what are your opinions if you have one/driven one?

I love the e46 m3 convertible, hope to get one with my car allowance one day. My uncle had one before he got something a 'bit' quicker, and gave me a drive, coming from the supra, the most impressive thing I found sadly, was the turning cirle! it did a full turn in a normal road with no reversing! it was quick enough, not particularly torquey, but I was quite impressed with the performance and handling.

I'd like this one, but not prepared to have that much money tied up on a lump of metal at this moment in time:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/images/292646-1.jpg

How much is that one Gaz? There was a nice black one with GT3 body kit for about 20k. Had 97k miles but who cares. The 996 has been known to have problems with a seal failure (RMS). I need to look into this in more detail to be honest.

My missus wants an M3 but I want the 911.....:) You will probably pay more for the M3 in insurance and running costs!!

H.

£20k, 74k, GT3 front bumper & skirts, lowered, GT3 wheels, xenons etc.

Not concerned with RMS, it's litterly a few spots of oil on your driveway and can be fixed cheaply when you change the clutch, which given that'll I'll keep the 911 for four years (assuming life doesn't though a curve ball) will happen atleast once.

My single biggest concern is the cost of new discs and pads and the frequency they may need changing. I'm actually more concerned about running the M3.

£20k, 74k, GT3 front bumper & skirts, lowered, GT3 wheels, xenons etc.

Not concerned with RMS, it's litterly a few spots of oil on your driveway and can be fixed cheaply when you change the clutch, which given that'll I'll keep the 911 for four years (assuming life doesn't though a curve ball) will happen atleast once.

My single biggest concern is the cost of new discs and pads and the frequency they may need changing. I'm actually more concerned about running the M3.

Ooh, sounds like you know a bit Gaz. I'll pm you later as this thread has been hijacked.....:D

H.

I do really like them, I had an '98 e36 320 coupe with the m-tec kit on it and even that was expensive on the upkeep so I completely know where your coming from. But the supra is much easier to get sideways.

Trust me on this an e46 m3 is piss easy to hang the botty out.

In the wet 1500rpm and u can get it full on sideways and in the dry they hang just as well.

Motorway is nice in them and plus i never miss top gear/eastenders etc as it has widescreen t.v/sat nav.

Seats are fully electric and heated so no cold leathers to sit on.

I have bought a e46 m3 and have had it for around 2 mths now.

If anyone here owns one or has driven one(not just down the road) what did u think of it?

I must say i am suprised at the whole package i.e comfort/luxury and performance and am saying this coming out of a single turbo 6 speed supra.

It is not the fastest car in the world but the chassis is spot on and handling is great.

The S54 engine loves to rev and is suprisingly quick for a N/a.

The one thing you do learn is that modifiying is a very expensive game with these and you realise a supra is the way to go for bang per buck as a complete exhaust on the m3 is over 2K alone and will give you 15-20 bhp and after this you are stuck unless you spend big bucks.

As an overall package the m3 is a great car but does have high maintanence costs, oil is around £90 alone and only available from BMW.

So what are your opinions if you have one/driven one?

The E46 BMW, IMO, is the best modern car ever manufactured, its solid and engineered to perfection. Nothing like the E36 Model which really just falls apart, the quality is so much better. IMO you should not do anything to the E46 M3, its built to perfection, leave it as it is, unless you want to go the turbo route but then that could cause you problems down the line. Servicing is very expensive from BMW. My last bimma was an E46 328i straight six (pics in My Garage) with a few mods and used to give e46 M3's a very suprising battle :-) IMO the best 'daily' car I have ever driven and all round class. These Germans know what they are doing.

Actually there is one thing I don't like about the M3, and that is the exhaust, they sound like 'tin cans'.

Do you drive a VW?

Recent VW's have been piss poor to be honest. My company has just taken the Passat off it's list as they have had so many problems.

My old Passat (New shape 55 plate) was a great car to drive but the boot used to open on it's own when the car was parked/locked. It was great to reveal my laptop and golf clubs to any thief that may be passing......:D

H.