The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Audi S3 or Ford Mondeo ST220?

Guest dangerousandy

I used to have an S3, nice car, not the most involving drive but still very nice cars. A chip to take it to about 250 makes all the difference, and you can get free trials just to test it out!!

I prefer the look of the Audi, but i'm guessing the Mondeo would be more involving to drive and probably be more refined.

My old one:

Guest dangerousandy

Cool! I went to look at an S3 yesterday and I was quite impressed with the Recaro seats, but not much else!!! It looks and feels like the standard A3's I drive at work :( I am taking it for a test drive on Saturday to see how well it goes and handles. As for the Mondeo, I am yet to find one to test drive!

Guest dangerousandy
Only by name, not by quality anymore.

IMO

Has noone else noticed that the cars on the hard shoulder nowadays are modern BMW, Golf and Audi's?

Whats going on?

Scott =op

hey you are right! I deliver Audi courtesey cars to customers who's Audi's have either broke down or are in for repairs, and we are doing more now than ever! we used to do Mercedes too.......every day we had at least one Merc booking and the cars drive like crap :(

I think there are more BWM's than mondeo's now but i don't think the ratio is high enough to explain whats happening with German reliability.

Take the MK3 Golfs etc. Don't think i've ever seen one broken down. Written off with a chav hat in the back yes but broken down... nope.

Scott =op

Guest dangerousandy
I think there are more BWM's than mondeo's now but i don't think the ratio is high enough to explain whats happening with German reliability.

Take the MK3 Golfs etc. Don't think i've ever seen one broken down. Written off with a chav hat in the back yes but broken down... nope.

Scott =op

Bad example mate!! My pal Gary has 3 mk3 Golfs: a VR6, GTi 8v and a 1.4CL for his missus - and they are always braking down or needing parts for them!! he aint no chav either (not at 40 anyway!!)

Yeah maybe now they are but what about when they were 1 and 2 years old??

I'm trying to compare how reliable German cars are now. They are breaking down a lot under warranty etc. They didn't used to.

Granted they do now but thats coz they are ancient.

Oh, i wasn't insinuating all golf drivers are chavv's. People who geniunely like the cars look after them. Chavvs can easily afford them and normally drive them like tossers hence the writing off comment.

Scott =op

Guest dangerousandy
Yeah maybe now they are but what about when they were 1 and 2 years old??

I'm trying to compare how reliable German cars are now. They are breaking down a lot under warranty etc. They didn't used to.

Granted they do now but thats coz they are ancient.

Oh, i wasn't insinuating all golf drivers are chavv's. People who geniunely like the cars look after them. Chavvs can easily afford them and normally drive them like tossers hence the writing off comment.

Scott =op

Yeah, I agree with you 100%!!!

Guest dangerousandy

My old man reckon's I should get the S3........now I am forced to get a Mondeo!! I can't believe how close the poll is! The Mondeo was way out in front but now its almost 50/50!!

Guest dangerousandy
And I've just level pegged it at 25/25 with a mondeo vote. Which do you prefer driving, that is what you have to really consider, which is more comfortable to do 200miles in?

well I have yet to take a ST220 out for a spin, but I have driven both an A3 and a standard Mondeo 1.8 and they are both very comfortable. I suppose the Mondeo has more room and you don't have to get out to let the people in the back out!! The mondeo is cheaper to buy, but more expensive for me to insure than the S3 and i'm guessing more expensive to service - 6 plugs against 4 etc etc. I think the Mondeo will also cost £300 to tax???!! hmm, still can't decide!!!

well I have yet to take a ST220 out for a spin, but I have driven both an A3 and a standard Mondeo 1.8 and they are both very comfortable. I suppose the Mondeo has more room and you don't have to get out to let the people in the back out!! The mondeo is cheaper to buy, but more expensive for me to insure than the S3 and i'm guessing more expensive to service - 6 plugs against 4 etc etc. I think the Mondeo will also cost £300 to tax???!! hmm, still can't decide!!!

Oddly enough, after having an S3 I would have another in heartbeat, but now that I'm getting older I see things a bit more practically and the space and 4 doors of a mondeo just seem to make sense. Remember you still have the supra as a 'I want to go out for a drive' car, rather than getting an S3 which is the hothatch, thereby giving you two sport cars, why not get one pratical and one fun? (Or does all of this make me sound like me dad?)

The other thing, the S3 is quick but not supra quick, so it will always appear under powered, whereas the mondeo you aren't expecting 0-60 times in it :)

Guest dangerousandy
Oddly enough, after having an S3 I would have another in heartbeat, but now that I'm getting older I see things a bit more practically and the space and 4 doors of a mondeo just seem to make sense. Remember you still have the supra as a 'I want to go out for a drive' car, rather than getting an S3 which is the hothatch, thereby giving you two sport cars, why not get one pratical and one fun? (Or does all of this make me sound like me dad?)

The other thing, the S3 is quick but not supra quick, so it will always appear under powered, whereas the mondeo you aren't expecting 0-60 times in it :)

Very true, but I drive all sorts of car's every day for work, from DaewooChevrolet Matiz's through astra's, vectra's, Focuses etc right up to Audi RS4's, S8's etc and i have a Starlet GT Turbo at the moment so I am not worried about 0-60 times or feeling underpowered!! I want a pratical car that still shifts when I need it to and that isn't going to brake down every 2 weeks (like the Supra atm :(). The insurance is a problem, as I am alrady paying £703 for the Supra and I am now renting a flat for £625 pcm!

you tell that to Carl (silver supra)!!! he's paying top wack on a '98 VVTi facelift!

IIRC its not the age of the vehicle but when it was first registered in the UK. Hence people importing supras now may find themselves paying full whack.

Guest dangerousandy
U driven the mondeo yet?

I'd still be taking the TDCi out for a test drive ;)

Scott =op

Not yet - diesel ST sounds like a good idea to me!

Guest dangerousandy

I have decided at last!!! I am going to get the............wait for it.............almost there............................Audi S3!!!! for a number of reasons:

1. Its only £330 to insure

2.Its small enough to park around town

3.There is no point having two 3litre cars with todays petrol prices

4.I don't need a 5 door

5. I deliver cars for Audi, so I will get staff discount on parts etc!!

6. The Audi will hold its value over the Ford.

7. the Audi is quicker to 60mph than the Mondeo and has the same top speed

8.An Audi keyring is better than a Ford Keyring!!

9. The Gf likes the Audi better!

10.i'll probably end up with a Mondeo anyway!