The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Your classic computer games

supradibbs

On my Atari St and consoles which i still have, got loads of games but to name a few:

On my atari:

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

Robocop 1 and 2

Batman The Movie

Ghostbusters 2

On Mega Drive:

Sonic 1,2,3 and Sonic and Knuckles

WWF Royal Rumble

NBA Jam

Probotector

SNES:

Super mario all stars

super mario world

Killer Instinct

Sega Saturn:

Die Hard Arcade

Virtue Cop

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Micro man here. Elite, Revs (with the 4-Tracks add-on :yes:), Repton of various flavours, Cylon Attack, Philosopher's Quest (text-only adventure game: turned out to be very annoying, because you only get a certain number of moves until the game kills you off :(), I could go on and on....

I've got the BeebEm emulator for my PC, which is very good.

I played "Invasion Force" on the TRS-80 until the keyboard broke.

4-player "Base Jumpers" on the Amiga was about the best game ever.

What I want to know is what happened to the days when you could make a game about damn near anything? Delivering newspapers, collecting dustbins, rescuing a girl from a barrel-throwing gorilla, a round yellow thing eating dots, a frog crossing a river, etc.

As soon as gaming platforms gained the abiliy to create a virtual 3d world, and game designers ceased having to come up with abstract representations, all sense of imagination in game design seemed to evaporate faster than you could say "real physics engine".

I played "Invasion Force" on the TRS-80 until the keyboard broke.

4-player "Base Jumpers" on the Amiga was about the best game ever.

What I want to know is what happened to the days when you could make a game about damn near anything? Delivering newspapers, collecting dustbins, rescuing a girl from a barrel-throwing gorilla, a round yellow thing eating dots, a frog crossing a river, etc.

As soon as gaming platforms gained the abiliy to create a virtual 3d world, and game designers ceased having to come up with abstract representations, all sense of imagination in game design seemed to evaporate faster than you could say "real physics engine".

That's an excellent post.

I hadn't really thought about that but you're right. Games were incredibly original back then. I didn't realise how strange and silly games were like balancing as many spinning plates on chop sticks as possible - can't remember what game that was but it was fun!!

With the advances in technology, everything is focussed on graphics and physics, getting the best out of a game. I think this has limited the creativity of developers into half a dozen key genres (first person shooter, rpg, driving, etc).

Back then, developers had to rely on gameplay and interesting ideas to get their games noticed.

Out of all the consoles on the market today, I think the Wii is the most refreshing thing out there. Yes, it carries a lot of the big titles the same as every other console, but it has also kept the old-school 'sillyness' and random playability by releasing games that are a collection of 30 or more little games that last a few minutes at most and have you doing the daftest things.

Lucy has Wario Smooth Moves (I think) and that is just insane. The graphics are terrible, but the sub-games are just pure lunacy. Things like spinning plates, swatting flies, driving a car trying to avoid monkeys and cows on the road. It's really refreshing to just have a fun game that doesn't rely on ultra slick graphics to sell itself.

That's an excellent post.

I hadn't really thought about that but you're right. Games were incredibly original back then. I didn't realise how strange and silly games were like balancing as many spinning plates on chop sticks as possible - can't remember what game that was but it was fun!!

I concur, creativity has mainly been lost. Just look at huge game giants like EA who release Fifa 09, Golf 09, NFL 09... and next year? Fifa 2010, Golf 2010, NFL 2010. Yawn. Look at The Sims (Anyone remember Little Computer People on the Spectrum??). It's just spin-off or revamp after revamp from big soulless software houses. :( It's not games... it's business.

I remember gaming houses like Ocean, Codemasters, people writing it for the love, quirkyness and passion of games. Most games up until the Doom/Quake era were all very original ideas. Dizzy, SWIV, Back 2 School, Dun Durrack, Horace goes Skiing and Chuckie Egg, Spy Vs Spy, all were made by people interested in games.

Looking back at Peter Monyleux's work he's still going strong (he did Populus and Black&White). I think the thing is most game releases are by big software houses which are mainly run by people as a business, rather than a passion and being good at it (which in turn generally makes a profit). Monyleux lets his devs take 1-12 weeks a year off to just play around with ideas, nurturing creativity, which we need more of. A developer playing around came up with the Dog companion in Farcry 2. They also tried letting you pat/scold the dog, but found when that feature was enabled most testers were just amused at poking the dog's posterior...

Yes online gaming has it's advantages but so does single/local games. I agree with Animal in the console wars Nintendo are always about interactivity with actual people and it's a very social game. How many people actually got 4 controllers for their gamecube? (I loved Mario Golf).

Nintendo's head of creativity created many of his games (Nintendogs, cooking mama etc) because of his passion for hobbies - Dogs, Cooking, Gardening etc.

I concur, creativity has mainly been lost. Just look at huge game giants like EA who release Fifa 09, Golf 09, NFL 09... and next year? Fifa 2010, Golf 2010, NFL 2010. Yawn. Look at The Sims (Anyone remember Little Computer People on the Spectrum??). It's just spin-off or revamp after revamp from big soulless software houses. :( It's not games... it's business.

I remember gaming houses like Ocean, Codemasters, people writing it for the love, quirkyness and passion of games. Most games up until the Doom/Quake era were all very original ideas. Dizzy, SWIV, Back 2 School, Dun Durrack, Horace goes Skiing and Chuckie Egg, Spy Vs Spy, all were made by people interested in games.

Very true. It's almost as if the biggest selling games heavily define a genre forever.

Doom -> quake as great as they were - redefined multiplayer FPS

Zelda -> Final fantasy 7 redefined the RPGs forever

Microprose Grand Prix -> Gran turismo redefined racing games

Since then people have almost just jumped on those bandwagon's trying to improve and be the best, rather than try anything new.

Strange how certain genres have been largely forgotten.

• Like platform games have been kinda left behind - yes there are 3d variants but they will never be the same.
  • No racing simulation games really exist where you drive on normal roads anymore with other cars (those terrible need for speeds don't bear mentioning)- why is a mystery.
  • Walk along strolling beat 'em ups have disappeared
  • R-type like space invader shooters have gone

I wonder why ?

The games designer I remember most (surprised no-one has mentioned!) has got to be Yu Suzuki. The invetor of outrun/afterburner/virtua fighter/daytona usa/ferrari f355 challenge/ but to name a few. I mean look at this list (taken from wiki).

Title Year released Platform Role

Space Harrier 1985 Sega Space Harrier hardware Producer / Director

Hang-On 1985 Sega Space Harrier hardware Producer / Director

Out Run 1986 Sega Out Run hardware Producer / Director

Super Hang-On 1986 Sega Space Harrier hardware Producer

After Burner II 1987 Sega X Board Producer / Director

Power Drift 1988 Sega Y Board Producer / Director

Turbo Outrun 1989 Sega Out Run hardware Producer

Virtua Racing 1992 Sega Model 1 Producer / Director

Virtua Fighter 1993 Sega Model 1 Director

Virtua Cop 1994 Sega Model 2 Producer

Virtua Fighter 2 1995 Sega Model 2 Producer / Director

Virtua Cop 2 1995 Sega Model 2 Producer

Virtua Fighter 3 1997 Sega Model 3 Producer

Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle 1998 Sega Model 3 Producer

Ferrari F355 Challenge 1999 Sega NAOMI Producer / Director

Shenmue 1999 Dreamcast Producer / Director

Shenmue II 2001 Dreamcast / Xbox Producer / Director

Propeller Arena 2001 Cancelled Dreamcast Producer

Virtua Fighter 4 2001 Sega NAOMI 2 / PS2 Producer

Suzuki Yu - Game Works Vol. 1 2002 Dreamcast

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution 2002 Sega NAOMI 2 / PS2 Producer

Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned 2003 Sega NAOMI 2 Producer

OutRun 2 2003 Sega Chihiro Producer

Psy-Phi 2005 Cancelled Sega Lindbergh Producer

Shenmue Online "On hold" PC Director

Sega Race TV 2008 Sega Lindbergh Director

Don't even know what sega race tv is but I think he is the most decorated man in the history of video game designers.

Legend :respekt:

Did anyone have a Phillips G7000 console?

Nope?

I did. I think they sold as many as 2. One to me and my best mate Nik, circa 1978

No classic games ever came out for this machine, but I thought it was great. In reality, it was a bit err...sh!t.

Here she is then:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee2/littlebigman_123/Philips-VideoPac-G7000-sideset.jpg

Hmmm...lovely.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee2/littlebigman_123/Philips-VideoPac-G7000-sideset.jpg

I guess I have no business being on this thread with this overall flacid contribution.

http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/g7000.htm

"Quest For The Rings" was an enjoyable game, again, for a bit.

I had one, I had that space craft landing game and some card game on it

Remember how hard the keyboard was to use? you would have to really press down the 'keys' to get any response.

I didnt acquire mine until about '85 though and then the atari 2600 was doing the rounds which I believe was one of the first consoles ever

Strange how certain genres have been largely forgotten.

• Like platform games have been kinda left behind - yes there are 3d variants but they will never be the same.
  • No racing simulation games really exist where you drive on normal roads anymore with other cars (those terrible need for speeds don't bear mentioning)- why is a mystery.
  • Walk along strolling beat 'em ups have disappeared
  • R-type like space invader shooters have gone

I wonder why ?

R-Type - buy Geometry Wars (in HD that's awesome - on XBOX360) - may cause Epilepsy

Platform games - I've just rebought Wonderboy II&III on the wii :) Super Paper Mario is quite a good platform game.

Walk along strolls - I still have Streets of Rage 1/2/3 and Golden axe :)

Jeez microprose GP on the Amiga, Geoff Crammonds or something wasn't it? That was awesome.

I dread to think what the new Golden Axe released by Sony for the PS3 is like.

There's a great platform/walk along shooter for the PS2/PS3/Wii I have at home, I can't remember the name but it's a great genre. I'll check when I get home for you

Speaking of Peter Molyneux (Populous was an amazing game back then) - does anyone remember Jeff Minter (the YAK) of Llamasoft? He did some cracking, and silly, and psychadelic games like 'Attack of the Mutant Camels' and 'Gridrunner' and is still going by the looks of things.

http://www.llamasoft.co.uk/frontpage.php

I loved Llama stuff. Llamatron was insane :)

I need to now go and break out my Amiga and play lots of PD games. As well as Powermonger, populous, Syndicate and Alien Breed/Wars.

R-Type - but Geometry Wars (in HD that's awesome - on XBOX360)

Platform games - I've just rebought Wonderboy III&III on the wii :) Super Paper Mario is quite a good platform game.

Walk along strolls - I still have Streets of Rage 1/2/3 and Golden axe :)

Jeez microprose GP on the Amiga, Geoff Crammonds or something wasn't it? That was awesome.

I dread to think what the new Golden Axe released by Sony for the PS3 is like.

There's a great platform/walk along shooter for the PS2/PS3/Wii I have at home, I can't remember the name but it's a great genre. I'll check when I get home for you

New golden axe is terrible if I recall, unless I am getting confused.

Microprose GP was Geoff Crammond yes. Wonder boy was a classic! Very hard on the game gear, didn't realise they made a new one! Pity I have no wii.

Need to check out this geometry wars - is it 2 player co op?

Thats another thing we rarely see these days - is 2 player co op. My bro and I used to play games together for hours! "DON'T STEAL MY FOOD, I NEED IT!! I GOT LOWER HEALTH!!"

What happenned to those days? The arguments we had when someone greedily stole a health pack when he thought the other wasn't looking was incredible. :D

Need to check out this geometry wars - is it 2 player co op?

Thats another thing we rarely see these days - is 2 player co op. My bro and I used to play games together for hours! "DON'T STEAL MY FOOD, I NEED IT!! I GOT LOWER HEALTH!!"

What happenned to those days? The arguments we had when someone greedily stole a health pack when he thought the other wasn't looking was incredible. :D

I don't believe GW is 2 player. I played it last on my friend's 360. I think it's in the arcade section in your garage on Project Gotham Racing (so you don't have to buy it if you have PGR)

If you have a PS3 buy Super Stardust HD (asteroids on steroids). 2 player too.

2 player co-op? Play Resistance Fall of Man :) Awesome Co-op on the first game. Must've played that through to completion at least 10 times. The health arguements remain :) Much swearing. I remember getting through a level on superhuman and my numpty friend then threw a grenade in a lift we were both in and we had to restart.

Last truly original game I saw was Portal from Half Life 2 / Orange box. I wait for Portal 2 this year!

I might have mentioned this before, but back in the early 80's I used to play Elite, with my mate on his older brothers BBC B. We'd take it in turns, planet by planet, and got to forming the idea that it'd be great if the other ships we met were actually other people, playing the game on their own BBCs but all linked together over the 'phone network. You could chat to them or just try and kill them but it would be so good as it would be one on one, based on skill and intelligence.

Then we forgot about that idea and went outside to play footy.

Balls!

Did anyone have a Phillips G7000 console?

Yes! it was my first console too... even before the Spectrum days :D

I had Crazy Chase (Pac Man rip off) and Terror Hawks(!) and a few others.. and then the Speccy came along and the games got much better. I still have it at home :)

All my 'classic' games were on the Spectrum.. Aliens, Horace Goes Skiing, Yee Ar Kung Fu, Saboteur, Back to Skool...

I do love the resurgence in 'old skool' games.. as mentioned Geometry Wars (360) and Riff : Everyday Shooter (PS3) are the best around :)