The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Books

Charlotte

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for a bit of a weird bump. Cliff, have you read anything by Philip Roth?

I'm not sure whether it's really my thing but I've heard good things about him.

Hi Charlotte,

I read Portnoy's Complaint many years ago and loved it. I think, though, it just caught me at the right age - very much a young man's book. I don't think I could read it now (though the scene where Alex f**ks the family dinner tends to stick in the memory).

Then a couple of years ago, I read Roth's American Pastoral, which for me is the great American novel of its era. It's long, complex, involving, political, beautifully written and, ultimately, heart-rending.

Roth writes a lot about jewishness, immigration, racism and politics in America, a combination that normally isn't my cup of tea at all, but it's not preachy or overly earnest. He can also be very weird (e.g. The Breast) when he wants.

The Human Stain is supposedly very good, I haven't read it, but enjoyed the film adaptation. I also fancy The Plot Against America just from the blurb on the back.

Give him a go - what's the worst that could happen?

Oh, another thought - John Irving. I've kind of gone off him for some years now, but The World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Cider House Rules are well loved by many. He's up there with the leading 'serious' American novelists of his era like John Updike, Tom Wolfe and Philip Roth.

I read a fantastic book a while ago now but completely forgot to post about it on here. Very involving, I just couldn't put it down. From looking it up on Amazon I realise it's just one book in a series.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-Tractor-Usborne-Touchy-Feely-Board/dp/0794500110/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202311255&sr=1-1

Unfortunately it only took me 5 minutes to read it in Tesco's, but a thoroughly enjoyable 5 minutes they were :)

I think Watt and Wells bring some real pathos to the eponymous tractor and are fearless in asking the question so often shied away from: who are we to judge if the engine is too bumpy?

It's a theme they explore further in "That's not my robot" and "Lesbian Death Babes from Planet Pleasure"

I read that last year but thought it was "ok", the concept was good, parts of the book read well but the overall tale was a bit Hollywood. It started better than it finished. )

Quite likes the ending and I mean the real end...

Left me really wanting to know more.. What happened to the Son, did he meet up with his friends..

I read it on nights and was a little spooked when I sneaked off to have a quick nap in a dark room. :scared:

Hi Charlotte,

I read Portnoy's Complaint many years ago and loved it. I think, though, it just caught me at the right age - very much a young man's book. I don't think I could read it now (though the scene where Alex f**ks the family dinner tends to stick in the memory).

Then a couple of years ago, I read Roth's American Pastoral, which for me is the great American novel of its era. It's long, complex, involving, political, beautifully written and, ultimately, heart-rending.

Roth writes a lot about jewishness, immigration, racism and politics in America, a combination that normally isn't my cup of tea at all, but it's not preachy or overly earnest. He can also be very weird (e.g. The Breast) when he wants.

The Human Stain is supposedly very good, I haven't read it, but enjoyed the film adaptation. I also fancy The Plot Against America just from the blurb on the back.

Give him a go - what's the worst that could happen?

Oh, another thought - John Irving. I've kind of gone off him for some years now, but The World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Cider House Rules are well loved by many. He's up there with the leading 'serious' American novelists of his era like John Updike, Tom Wolfe and Philip Roth.

I have ordered American Pastoral from Amazon. I will report back. :)

• 1 month later...
Well, you may well hate my tastes and vice versa. But - Complicity is pacy, well written, tightly-plotted with some mild S & M thrown in for good measure.:sly:

Sorry to say this chap but I am finding this book very heavy going. Its almost amateurish in the writing dept. His descriptive ability is almost childish. The plot seems a tad thin and I am only half way through. I unfortunately class this book as a firm put downer. I am only trudging through it so I don't write it off completely. Sorry cliff but I just don't find this book challenging other than to actually finish it.

Sorry to say this chap but I am finding this book very heavy going. Its almost amateurish in the writing dept. His descriptive ability is almost childish. The plot seems a tad thin and I am only half way through. I unfortunately class this book as a firm put downer. I am only trudging through it so I don't write it off completely. Sorry cliff but I just don't find this book challenging other than to actually finish it.

I never said that it was challenging. I said:

Iain Banks is good for a straightforward read with a dash of real style.

From your evaluation, I'm not sure we've read the same book.;);) I knew there was some reason I don't usually recommend books.

Ah well, sorry you wasted your pennies, chap.

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a new thread........

but for those that like books check out http://www.scribd.com

basically its the P2P world of books! you can download in pdf form or plain text form and read them off the pc or pint them out yourself. Got myself all Wilbur Smith books now so will be putting them on my phone to read on the plane etc when I go abroad. a very handy site :thumbs:

I was going to start a new thread........

but for those that like books check out www.scribd.com

basically its the P2P world of books! you can download in pdf form or plain text form and read them off the pc or pint them out yourself. Got myself all Wilbur Smith books now so will be putting them on my phone to read on the plane etc when I go abroad. a very handy site :thumbs:

Ooh good find i love reading am going to check it out!!!:D