The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Books

Charlotte

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently i am reading - Tale of the Genji (Genji Monogatari) written by Murasaki Shikibu (Lady Murasaki), back in the first years of 1000AD (Heian Period Japan).

Then going to choose one of these as next book:

Natsuo Kirino - Out

Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood

The Last Samurai, The life and battles of Saigo Takamori - Not the book of the Tom Cruise movie, but the book of the samurai that Saigo Katsumoto was based upon in the movie, The Last Samurai.

ja ne

Ian

Just finished Cell by Stephen King, it's SK back at his best I think.

I read that last year but thought it was "ok", the concept was good, parts of the book read well but the overall tale was a bit Hollywood. It started better than it finished.

I don't read much non-fiction but my Dad keeps giving me stuff he's read, the few I read last were quite reasonable. "The Lords of the North" by Bernard Cornwell, a bit of Viking action, a good blend of history and fiction, bit of fighting, revenge, romance etc. "The Skin Gods" by Richard Montanari which is a plodding police vs serial killer tale and "Pig Island" by Mo Hayder which was a really good read - one of those that's hard to put down.

I have a stack of books I'm trying to get through at the moment but really want to get back to one I keep starting and then putting down in favour of lighter subjects - "Burning Tigris, The: The Armenian Genocide and America's Response" by Peter Balakian - I've had it for ages but it's a bit deep for bedtime reading and I don't seem to get time to read much when I'm more awake.

Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour" and "Kitchen Confidential" are great reads if you like food / cooking.

Oh and EVO magazine ;)

I have hundreds of books in the attic ...dont seem to have the time to read much these days though, except for various large volumes of rules / regulations to do with work. I dug out Melmoth The Wanderer (Charles Maturin) after a recent thread reminded me I had it. Also fancy reading the Tales Of The Mabinogion again (Gwynn Thomas I think) again...stories based on Welsh Legends and folk-lore.

I have the entire series of the Thomas Covenant books by Steven R. Donaldson (very Lord of The Rings ish, but good) and the Golden Torc series (cant remember the author) which has a great premise based around time travellers going on vacation back in time to prehistoric times only to be enslaved by aliens who were already there.

The Hanibal books by Richard Harris are great, as are the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian (Master and Commander etc, set at sea in the Napoleonic wars era)

I tend to go for more mainstream / crime type books and would recommend:

Joseph Finder - Great thrillers about industrial espionage (Paranoia and Company Man highly recommended)

David Baldacci - Especially "The Camel Club"

Dean Koontz - Thriller / crime

Kathy Reichs

James Patterson - Early ones are best

OK, none of the above will win Pullitzer's but they will entertain. :)

...and the Golden Torc series (cant remember the author) which has a great premise based around time travellers going on vacation back in time to prehistoric times only to be enslaved by aliens who were already there.

Oh, I fancy that. I will have to have a look on Amazon and see if it is available. :)

Oh, I fancy that. I will have to have a look on Amazon and see if it is available. :)

I should have called it The Saga Of the Exiles, Author Julian May

First book....The Many Coloured Land

Second...The Golden Torc

Third....The Non-Born King

Fourth...The Adversary

i read lots:)

just read Panic by jeff abbott (loved it!)

Bear Grylls : facing up (ok if your into that kind of thing)

the hit list :Chris ryan (good book)

in the past iv read most of stepen king but i dont think hes a patch on james herbert,i love his books.

I've read all the Dan Brown books, and Angels and Demons is by far the best read, and would make an excellent film. The Da Vinci Code film was such a let down.

Angels and Demons is released this year I think.... I don't understand how they got permission to use the Vactican though (I am presuming they did)

Just finished:

David Eddings - The redemption of Althalus

L. Ron Hubbart (yes i know :rolleyes:) - Battlefield Earth

Now 4 main tomes of Dragonlance series :eyebrows:

Eddings has written some more then? The last stuff I read from him was getting a bit desperate to hit publishers demands for a book type of naff. I read all of his stuff years ago. I used to be a voracious reader. I consumed the malloreon in a week and the elenium in two weeks. Pratchett is my all time fave and I read those in an evening. Since forums and the net I haven't really bothered with books but am hankering after a new series of books now.

To date I have read

the hobbit (that got me started in to books again as a teenager)

lord of the rings

the silmarillion

the chronicles of thomas covenant

mordants need series

the gap series

The belgariad

the malloreon

the elenium

the tamuli series

the losers

high hunt

pretty much everything terry pratchett ever wrote

riftwar saga

empire trilogy

krondors sons

serpentwar saga

dragonriders of pern (pretty much all of them)

prelude to dune series

shannara series

I've obvioulsy also read alot of one off novels by clarkson and other people. I'm looking at getting back into reading again so maybes I should get off my ass and go to a book shop and buy something :D