The mkiv Supra Owners Club

unlocking an iPhone

grahamc

You can unlock UK iphone on O2 to install custom apps etc. But you cannot at the moment unlock the SIM to other networks because of the bootloader being different to existing cracks.

i've downgraded mine to 1.1.1, then used the TIFF exploit to jailbreak it, then installed oktoprep and upgraded to 1.1.2. Can install all the apps I want now but I tried to unlock the SIM and bricked it. Had to start again.

I unlocked mine from iphonesuklock.co.uk. They have two options, either to take it down to them in london or to get a link emailed to you on how to unlock it yourself and another link with all the software you require to unlock it.

They have a way of unlocking it to all networks also by adding a little chip to your sim card. This means you have to cut a corner of your sim card and insert the little chip they provide in the slot you cut out. It works great as i've done mine! They also offer free lifetime support and send you any updates that they have for free. They're working on unlocking version 1.1.3 at the moment!

http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/

saq

Thats true but you don't upgrade your firmware when apple releases it. You upgrade to the unlocking companies firmware once they've hacked it. Apple updates dont happen automatically, therefore if you cant really get your phone bricked unless you manually upgrade to apples updates.

If you do Brick your phone with an apple update for some reason there are ways to unbrick it anyway. So basically dont upgrade until the unlockers have been able to find a way to hack the update.

Its alot like the PSP hack for those of you that are aware of it!

saq

Thats true but you don't upgrade your firmware when apple releases it. You upgrade to the unlocking companies firmware once they've hacked it. Apple updates dont happen automatically, therefore if you cant really get your phone bricked unless you manually upgrade to apples updates.

If you do Brick your phone with an apple update for some reason there are ways to unbrick it anyway. So basically dont upgrade until the unlockers have been able to find a way to hack the update.

Its alot like the PSP hack for those of you that are aware of it!

saq

whats the psp crack?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Stupid question, but why would you want to unlock it? arn't there O2 specific things on there?!

I can only think of visual voicmail which is a SP option that needs to be turned on, other than that......not sure what specific would be missed.