The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky TV 'con'?

Soop Dogg

Anyone else seen the offer from Sky TV lately?

They're offering 1 month of free movies and sport. (All the movies and sport channels) All you have to do is call them up and take up the offer. Then in a months time you can call them again and cancel it and you pay nothing extra......apparently.

HOWEVER,

I've just found out that when you get your next bill, they charge you in advance as if you had kept all the chanels on your account. Then in a month they refund you - or so they say. (Last time something like this happened where they took money out of our account that we didn't owe, it took 3 months to get it back)

Anyway, the small print on the leaflet making the offer doesn't mention this and they didn't mention it when I took the offer up.

I called them tonight to ask if what I had heard was true and they said 'this should have been explained to you when you took up the offer'. Apparently the only way around it once you have accepted the offer is to cancel your direct debit, then call them to cancel the offer at the end of the free month. They'll ask you to pay what you owe when your bill is meant to be paid and they can rebate you the extra payment on the phone at that point.

Sounds like a scam to me - they'll be making thousands extra cash in interest over the course of a month from all their customers who take up this 'offer'.

Any thoughts?

Sky pee me off. We have sky in our house, and we have the multi room. We have a box in the living room and a box in my bedroom.

Anyway i swapped bedrooms, and i wanted the box and cables moved.

Anyway, because sky still own the box and cables, technically we couldnt do it ourselves.

All it was, was pulling the wires through up to the loft, then drilling a hole, and putting them into the new room.

Anyway, ring Sky.....£120 please......So i said well i am not paying it.

My uncle did it in the end, but what a joke!!

Sky are just a money making machine! It's a product that costs very little to run once it's established and they have a licence to print money.

I'm surprised they don't sue you for loss of revenue when you cancel your subscription.......:blink::rolleyes:

Although I am a hypocrite. I have put the sports and movies back on for 3 months as they had a good deal on.....:eyebrows:

H.

I got my satellite setup working over the weekend. It's awesome.

There literally thousands of channels, many foreign, some absolutely shocking filth 24/7 :eek: and a good selection of English movies and others, such as Discovery, National Geo, Cartoon Network etc.

So far I've only scanned five satellites but there are more. It was only 4pm yesterday that I scanned Thor at 1-degree West and got more English movies and Discovery etc.

It's a product that costs very little to run once it's established and they have a licence to print money.

This isn't true...as much as I hate sky with a passion running a media out station COSTS and absolute fortune. In order to get the rights to show a single tv show they would have to shell out serious wonga.

Don't get me wrong sky are making a lot of money, but it isn't cheap... unlike perhaps the mobile phone industry...

This isn't true...as much as I hate sky with a passion running a media out station COSTS and absolute fortune. In order to get the rights to show a single tv show they would have to shell out serious wonga.

Don't get me wrong sky are making a lot of money, but it isn't cheap... unlike perhaps the mobile phone industry...

I wasn't meaning the rights to the TV as these costs are huge. Just the general running and maintaining of the infrastructure.

It's nothing new, I remember a mate getting stung by AOL (serves him right for using AOL really) years ago. "Free" trial but you had to give your card details and set up a direct debit. However you could contact them to cancel at the end of your free trial...

Except that if you rang them to cancel they told you that you that they needed it in writing. So he wrote to them, then he noticed he'd gotten billed for a month. They claimed they never received his letter. He sent one again and was told "it'll take a while to process the cancellation". They billed him for 3 months after his "free trial" before they finally cancelled it.