The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Not starting (sound clip)

madmunky

The story goes.. I was out Saturday night car was running fine then while i was out I stopped for a hour to have something to eat and got back to the car and tried to start it and it wouldn't, it was trying but then died, after some fiddling around it started and i drove strait home. The next morning i tried it again and still no joy so i checked for engine codes and got error 12 which was the crankshaft sensor which i have now checked and all seemed ok so i have just cleared the codes and the error has gone.

Im thinking the Error code might have have just been another issue I've recorded the sound of it trying to start and im thinking it might just be a flat battery can anyone confirm it would make this noise if it was as just waiting for a friend to come over with some jump leads and try and up the car.

If not the battery any other ideas?

http://bloodwych.classicgaming.gamespy.com/cartmp/Record001.wav

Can anyone recommend anything else i can check

Ive checked all fuses / relays in the engine bay and under the kick panel

Tried the 12v fuel pump mod to check the pump and i can hear it under the engine bay

Check ECU for error codes I get a error 22 but thats just a coolant sensor (that wouldnt stop the car starting would it?)

Checked the engine earthing

Checked it was in park

When turning the ignition I can hear the relays switching.

Is it possible to check the coil pack for a spark on your own without someone firing the ignition?

Check ECU for error codes I get a error 22 but thats just a coolant sensor (that wouldnt stop the car starting would it?)

Yes, it most definitely will. Without the coolant sensor the ECU won't know the engine is cold, and therefore won't add extra fuel in for a cold start. Check the sensor is plugged in - it's in the elbow between the water pump and top hose.

Yes, it most definitely will. Without the coolant sensor the ECU won't know the engine is cold, and therefore won't add extra fuel in for a cold start. Check the sensor is plugged in - it's in the elbow between the water pump and top hose.

wouldnt the 12v fuel mod override this though?

I know the sensors arnt connected at the moment as someone had done a bodge job on them before and i need to replace the connectors and rewire them.

Ok been cracking away again tonight trying to work out whats going on so just updating the thread incase anyone has a simular problem

Checked for spark and got a nice big one which scared the crap out of me, Cleaned up all the plugs and coil packs and all working ok.

The sensors which are not connected at the moment are ECT Sensor and ECT Sender Gauge Connectors both need rewiring but would this stop the car from even starting?

IF they are does anyone know the connector part numbers?

If the coolant temp sensor is unplugged the car will over fuel because the ecu will see it as cold all the time. You need to get that sensor up and running again!

Undo the fuel line from the end of the rail where the FPR is to see if you have fuel.