The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Swearing on here!

merckx

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swearing has to have some sort of relationship with intelligence.

Why?

Bill Hicks (RIP) was a a very intelligent comedian but swore like docker with a bad case of potty mouth.

My other half has a degree in Biochemistry and Pharmacology and will often use the C-word.

My uncle is thick as two short planks. Swears like it's going out of fashion.

etc etc

There's no reason for it to be inaccurate if you use a large enough sample of people.

The fact that they may or may not want want to have their intelligence rated together with how much they swear has nothing to do with it, I'm talking about what the results would be if they could be obtained. :)

I'm afraid you may have alienated some of your audience through introducing the uber-geeky notion of a 'graph'.

My guess is that there is a weak inverse correlation between swearing in public (e.g in the street, as opposed to the workplace) and IQ. Probably the key variable is socioeconomic status which, sad to say, correlates with IQ. Which is not to say there aren't plenty of posh people who swear with great fluency.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I'm talking generally.

You cannot just take individual cases, that's the whole point in statistics and taking averages etc.

I must be using the same wall as you as I have a sore head with the banging. Nowhere in my posts am I using singular wording. In general, no it doesn't.

ALL walks of life swear, so in general ALL walks of life according to the theory you're trying to get accross must be of lower intelligence.

ALL walks of life swear, so in general ALL walks of life according to the theory you're trying to get accross must be of lower intelligence.

By saying say this you're blatantly demonstrating the fact that you don't follow what I'm saying.

Do you agree that All means everyone or 100 % etc etc.

I never said that this will apply to everyone or 100% of people, that's the whole point of using statistics and producing graphs, there are nearly always exceptions to any rule.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I'm talking generally.

You cannot just take individual cases, that's the whole point in statistics and taking averages etc.

By saying say this you're blatantly demonstrating the fact that you don't follow what I'm saying.

I never said that this will apply to everyone or 100% of people, that's the whole point of using statistics and producing graphs, there are nearly always exceptions to any rule.

So the stats are not valid as it is a generalisation. So on the basis of mind talk nothing you have said is True or False it is simply " I Don't know" therefore it is your opinion rather than a factual analysis.

Ah, but you can prove anything with statistics.

not really, just wanted to make an infuriatingly silly statement.:)

All walks of life I said, FFS I never said everone in all walks of life.

TO me all walks of life does not mean everybody, 100%. To me all walks of life means all people in the social ladder. What the percentage of people that swear and and of lower intelligence in those walks of life is unknown.

Please if you are really going to attempt to prove a point read what i am saying first and understand it before posting a reply, you're beginning to actually bore me with your attitdue of "you clearly don't know what I am trying to say".

So the stats are not valid as it is a generalisation. So on the basis of mind talk nothing you have said is True or False it is simply " I Don't know" therefore it is your opinion rather than a factual analysis.

Yes, it's my opinion. :)

And you cannot say the opposite is correct because it's someone else's opinion either.

I've already said many times.

A relationship doesn't mean that all intelligent people don't swear.

And conversely that all lesser intelligent people swear.

You have nothing to back this up. No stats and no facts mean nothing but your own imagination and your own personal prejudices.

True it's just an opinion - but I don't think you'll find many people agreeing with it.

f*ck a duck this thread is doing my NUT now 9 pages and we're going round in circles.....as i said before LOTS of people swear - i swear all the time.

now me not knowing you, and you not knowing me, your theroy is that YOU must be more inteligent than me as you dont swear as much (if at all) - now ths may be true, but just based on who swears the most is utter b0llox. :)