The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Akita Pups (free to good homes)

shaf

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A male Akita would probably kill it, or damage it psychologically :) A female should be OK. IMO they are not a dog for everyone, by any means. They can look stunning, but they can also be VERY dominant and difficult. I wouldn't dream of one if I had young children about, others may disagree :) Having said that I keep going back to the pup photos and having to beat myself about the head with a weighty object to keep a sense of reality. They are hellish cute!

http://kumikkoakitas.homestead.com/AkitaProfile.html

the female akita we have taken in is very soft. she is 10 months old and very cute. she loves to be around people. doesnt fight with other dogs or even bark at them to be honest. she's a gem

But she's 10 months old.... It would take a very psycho dog to be nasty at 10 months, wait until it's about 18 months and see what it's like then :) Hopefully she'll stay just the way she is, but 18 months is usually considered the rebellious time, when a dog decides to establish a claim to pack hierarchy, and a stroppy Akita can be pretty awesome ;)

We are considering getting one of these, but want to see them in real life rather then in pictures. That and have a chat with onners about its needs etc. Main problem is work/life mix, the missus is at work all day and I'm on shifts so for 4 days I will be with it all day, and 2 days it will be on its own in the garden in a nice doggy hut... not sure how it would take to that though.

Any ideas?

• 6 months later...
What is the average yearly cost for one of these dogs???

Digging up a very old thread here but I was on to see if the pups had gone and noticed your question. Our rotty costs around £100 a month in feed alone. Worming and flea treatment is done every 3 month and costs around £40 a time. Insurance... £20 a month, then the yearly jabs... I'll not even tell you how much in breakages!

Sainsbury's Best British mince 99p a pack and some veg does him fine so £2.50 a day.

You just feed him mince and veg? No bone or any other types of meat? No raw flesh un-minced?

I feed 10 dogs and worm them for a similar amount, you must be feeding them truffles and caviar :) Meat is 15 quid a week, biscuits a fiver a week, worming is about 30 for all 10, every 4 months. All the dogs are around 50 kilos. All but 2 live out, and hence eat more than a house dog.

Where do you get your food from? I've phoned loads of butchers and they all say they don't sell stuff like I want (they all get ready cut bits from their suppliers so no off-cuts to give away cheap).

Could buy from Landywoods I suppose, still cheaper than commercial food, but more than I was hoping to be paying.

Can get rabbits pretty much whenever I want, but a diet of ALL rabbit wouldn't be too good for either the cats or the dog!!!

Might have one supplier available for £25 a month (which will include meat for us - sausages etc.), but probably won't supply enough to feed 2 cats and a Malamute!!

I love Akitas, such elegant power.

10 pound bags of butchers trimmings or chicken carcasses a pound a bag. I buy 150 or so pounds a time and the dogs have an old 10 quid freezer kept outside. At a tenner if it blows up it's no big deal.

Chudleys working dog food (dry food) under 10 pounds a 15 kg bag, used as a mixer. VAT free. (All working dog feeds are VAT free)

Some horse wormers are the exact same product as dog wormers. You need to take care and get the right stuff, but bought in larger sachets as a horse wormer, with the dosage adjusted to suit, it's DRAMATICALLY cheaper.

Probably town butchers are too PC and `elf and safety to sell this stuff, country ones seem more amenable. Abattoirs will sell sheep and cows stomachs. You get used to the smell, but need a proper butchering knife, a cow's intestines are damned tough. Lamb stomachs can be fed whole to a large dog.

You just feed him mince and veg? No bone or any other types of meat? No raw flesh un-minced?

Where do you get your food from? I've phoned loads of butchers and they all say they don't sell stuff like I want (they all get ready cut bits from their suppliers so no off-cuts to give away cheap).

Could buy from Landywoods I suppose, still cheaper than commercial food, but more than I was hoping to be paying.

Can get rabbits pretty much whenever I want, but a diet of ALL rabbit wouldn't be too good for either the cats or the dog!!!

Might have one supplier available for £25 a month (which will include meat for us - sausages etc.), but probably won't supply enough to feed 2 cats and a Malamute!!

Well I used Royal Canine as a mixer, the mince is raw, also boned chicken, 'Natures Own' type tripe and X other meat meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.