The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Here we go.. another misfire thread.....

chrisavila100

Ok just got back from testing the car after changing the plugs....

:( And still the same....

Its so strange how at all other times driving the car its perfect, its really smooth,boosts fine and pulls like a train..

Its only when you give it any amount of throttle above 4.5k that you get the miss, which then goes, and then pulls and boosts to the red line:search: (any throttle from 4k and its fine)

Ive also noticed that i get a slight miss when i back off the throttle around 5k and above...

Hope this info helps in some way.. cheers guys...

Ok took the fuse out of the wi system and took the car for a drive, and still have the same problems..

Turned the boost controller off and still the same problem!

Im running standard ecu and have no piggy back or afr controller on the car..

Ive just been reading the jump start thread, and a month or so before this all started i had a weak battery and had to jump start her from another car 2/3 times over a month period, then had to change the battery.. and im wondering if ive fried part of the ecu?

Cheers again guys...

A new battery or jump starting it would not do any harm, unless it was a 24v truck you started it from;)

does it still do it if you change up at say 6,000 RPM instead of redline? TBH your not really going to gain much by changing that late unless you have big turbo and cams, peak torque will be below 6,000RPM

Do you have a wideband fitted?

does it still do it if you change up at say 6,000 RPM instead of redline? TBH your not really going to gain much by changing that late unless you have big turbo and cams, peak torque will be below 6,000RPM

Do you have a wideband fitted?

Hi mate, yes it will still do it if you change at 6k,(ive said red line but normally change around 6/6.5k) i have to change at around 5/k for it not to miss, but to be honest when it misses at that point, its only a smallish miss for approx .4sec..

But where its a pain in the ass is if you want to drop it down a gear, or if your driving fast through the twisties, as the revs are always around 5k+ and when you come on and off the throttle at those revs its at its worst, lots of missing/holding back, then sudden rush of power...

No, i have no wideband fitted...

Cheers chris..

Without a wideband your only real bet is for someone to follow you (if possible ;) ) and see if great big clouds of black smoke come out of the exhaust at the moment of stuttering. I suspect it's an overfuelling issue, as ignition breakup is far more likely at high boost and revs. Seems like your accel enrichment is putting too much fuel in perhaps.

-Ian

Without a wideband your only real bet is for someone to follow you (if possible ;) ) and see if great big clouds of black smoke come out of the exhaust at the moment of stuttering. I suspect it's an overfuelling issue, as ignition breakup is far more likely at high boost and revs. Seems like your accel enrichment is putting too much fuel in perhaps.

-Ian

Hi ian,

I can confirm when i get the miss, it DOES throw lots of black smoke out of the exhaust, i have noticed this everytime the miss happens... this is the only time that the car throws out any smoke!

So what do you think would cause this overfueling?

Thanks again chris...

Seems like your accel enrichment is putting too much fuel in perhaps.

Thats what i said said Ian as i cant see any other particular reason for it to overfuel when it does, its quite specific times too.

Its rare but has been known that stock ECU's can sometimes go up the swanny. Might be worth seeing if you can try another one off someone elses car as doesnt take long to change...might be a bit of a problem with it being a UK spec though :(

Cheers for the advice guys..

So do we think the problem is overfueling for some reason?

If so what would cause that, apart from a faulty ecu?

So do you think the next best thing to try is swapping the ecu?

Is it a simple case of unpluging one and pluging the other one in, then taking the car for a spin?

Thanks again guys...

P.s if anyone knows someone with a uk spec in the essex or surrey area that wouldnt mind me trying their ecu, would be a great help...

Two other things that will have a baring on fuelling,

ECU water temp sensor, and air temp sensor, if either are faulty (have you checked codes?) the ECU will behave like its in cold start and over fuel, but i would have thought that you would notice, as I'm sure it would have an impact on performance,

Also as Ian was saying and ignition issue would also cause this, but as you have changed the coils, plugs, (coil pack connectors? although unlikely) this can almost be ruled out.

Which only leaves ECU, TPS, dirty or faulty AFM as yours is UK spec.

Hi tricky, the coil pac connectors look fine, not brittle or broken up at all..

I have regulary checked for error codes but nothing has been stored....

AFM, i take it thats the MAF sensor? in which case that has already been changed with a known good one,

So just leaves the ecu and tps...

If it was the tps, do you not think it would throw up an error code?

I have posted in the wanted section for a uk ecu so will hopfully be able to check that sometime soon..

Cheers guys...

The TPS is a bit of a long shot but as it uses a track, variable resistor it could have a dodgy point but its unlikely when i think about it, but easy to check with a meter,

i would also check the resistance on the water temp sensor, i believe the air temp sensor is in with the MFA/AFM, which you have changed anyway.

The TPS is a bit of a long shot but as it uses a track, variable resistor it could have a dodgy point but its unlikely when i think about it, but easy to check with a meter,

i would also check the resistance on the water temp sensor, i believe the air temp sensor is in with the MFA/AFM, which you have changed anyway.

Hi tricky, thanks for the info mate,

Right this is where my tech knowledge hits a stumbling block!

I know what a multi metre is, and have used one before, but to check these items i need to know what settings to use on the multi metre(always confuses me) and what connections to check on the sensors,(ie which wires/connections ) and then what sort of values should i see...

Thanks again...

What would be really handy here is if someone had an E-Manage and a fields harness so it could just be dropped in with a blank map and used to datalog everything. We could see what the airflow meter was saying to the ECU, and what injector duties are being sent out, and compare it to known good datalogs. Do you know anyone who could loan you their piggyback brain for an evening?

-Ian

What would be really handy here is if someone had an E-Manage and a fields harness so it could just be dropped in with a blank map and used to datalog everything. We could see what the airflow meter was saying to the ECU, and what injector duties are being sent out, and compare it to known good datalogs. Do you know anyone who could loan you their piggyback brain for an evening?

-Ian

Hi ian, now to me that sounds like a VERY good idea.

But to be honest i dont know of anyone around these parts that has/would be willing to do this..

If i was to buy an e manage piggy back would it be of much benifit after these tests had been run on the car?

Thanks again...

Good idea, until you ask the question "will it be of use to me after the tests" and the answer is yes it could be, BUT i would not advocate getting one unless your using a wideband lambda, so i would recommend getting an Innovate LM-1 and then you will have not only AFR monitoring, but data logging to, so you can do the same thing as with emanage, but with accurate AFR monitoring.

Good idea, until you ask the question "will it be of use to me after the tests" and the answer is yes it could be, BUT i would not advocate getting one unless your using a wideband lambda, so i would recommend getting an Innovate LM-1 and then you will have not only AFR monitoring, but data logging to, so you can do the same thing as with emanage, but with accurate AFR monitoring.

So am i right in thinking the e-manage and the innovate LM-1 will do the same thing?

Or will the innovate just give me the data loging with a hand held AFR monitor unit, then at a later date i can then add an e-manage to the setup?

Think i will wait to try out another ecu first, but if that doesnt fix the problem then i may have to look into splashing the cash on one of these..

Do you know if you can get the LM-1 setup with a in dash gauge?

Thanks again chris...

Emanage will give you control over fuelling and timing + a few extras (piggyback ECU) and data logging,

LM-1 will give you wideband AFR (essential for changing fuelling with the above) and data logging,

and yes you can get the innovate LC-1 which is a gauge and widband controller, but you would need to add a LMA-3 to be able to data log.

You could also go the LM-1 route and then add the dash gauge later.

Cheers mate, thanks for clearing that up..

To be honest im going to try the least expensive route first, ie ecu/tps, and see if that sorts it out...

And what do you think about the crank postion sensor? ive read a few misfire threads where this has caused a strange type of misfire...

Thanks again....

Ok, ive just tried another uk spec ecu and still have the same problem:(

Im not to sure what else there is "that i can check"?

I think i might just have to give the car to mr wilson to see if he can get to the bottom of the problem!

Thanks for all the help on this one guys!

And a big thanks to Kev for lending me his ecu...

Will keep you all updated with any progress...

• 7 years later...