The mkiv Supra Owners Club

isolation switch for fuel pump

Chris and Alana

I was wondering if it is posible to rig up a simple switch on either positive or negitive wire to the fuel pump. I have considered doing this for a little while but I had my car broken into tonight http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=137043 and although I have a cat1 alarm and immobaliser if I have a hidden switch that cut's the fuel pump off then chances are the car wont go anywhere. If this is possible, do the + and - come from the ECU? if so which pins? Thank's guy's.

You could put a switch on the seat plastic trim, if you put your hand under the front, you can feel it.. i put a switch there for mine, because i wanted to be able to lock the car with the alarm, with turbo timer on, but it wouldn't work. so i found the wire that send's a signal to the alarm ecu, that says the engine is running, and by-passed with the switch... Also with it off, the car wont start!!! so i had, fully locking Turbo Timer Alarm, and an Extra Immobiliser! Bonus

Ohh and the switch was hidden

I would advise a little caution with this idea...............i had a custom mini where the previous owner had done this. The car would however run for a few seconds when you envitably forgot and this can put you in trouble in certain situations.

Basically if you go this way i'd have a audible or visual indicator too..........

I would advise a little caution with this idea...............i had a custom mini where the previous owner had done this. The car would however run for a few seconds when you envitably forgot and this can put you in trouble in certain situations.

Basically if you go this way i'd have a audible or visual indicator too..........

Because of the high pressure fuel system in a Supra, I doubt it would barely run for long enough to engage a gear!

A Supra fuel system is around 30-40 psi at idle, low throttle. Assuming you're talking about an old carbed Mini, I'd guess the fuel pressure would be about 4 psi. Coupled to that, a Carburettor, (sp?), has float chambers which store a small amount of fuel.