The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying tools and tool chests, advice please!

Sean1933

Right, im considering moving into the automotive industry, therefore im going to need to get a comprehensive set of tools and a decent box, bearing in mind i have been using my friends tools for the last few years.. I dont want tat but at the same time i cant afford £1K plus just for a box :( .

Can anyone suggest some good deals on tools, decent quality cabs+chests?

Also, has anyone come across a company called US.PRO-TOOLS. I found a few boxes on ebay (i know, i know!) that look quite good quality and reasonably priced, one even comes with quite a few tools however i wonder what the quality is like.... :search:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-Pro-Heavy-Duty-Tool-Chest-Box_W0QQitemZ360013296673QQihZ023QQcategoryZ72204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260202246856&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-PRO-TOOL-BOX-CHEST-complete-with-tools-inside_W0QQitemZ250205012095QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pro heavy is looking good. :)

When you have the box -- Kamasa garage quality = lifetime warranty.

Halfords Pro = same.

Britool = same.

And of course Snap - On.

All of which you will be able to collect as a trader and therefore claim tax back. Result.

And it does pay in the long run. :)

Have you ever head of or seen the pro-heavy stuff 1st hand Andy, or know anyone that has?

Can't really give advice, but we had a new tool chest arrive last week from Mac Tools. It came with full Aston Martin livery and looked luverly, until the guy told me how much it was - £4k :faint:

Doesnt suprise me mate, I saw some on ebay with ltd edition livery and they look so so nice but were still going for thousands. So is that box for you then Matt or one of the Austec guys?

Have you ever head of or seen the pro-heavy stuff 1st hand Andy, or know anyone that has?

Doesnt suprise me mate, I saw some on ebay with ltd edition livery and they look so so nice but were still going for thousands. So is that box for you then Matt or one of the Austec guys?

I've seen the stuff in a few garages mate. But like any tradesman, tools are a personal thing. It took about ten years for me to accept the quality of Kamasa and Halfords Pro. over Snap-On and Britool. You don't need to spend loads. :)

I've seen the stuff in a few garages mate. But like any tradesman, tools are a personal thing. It took about ten years for me to accept the quality of Kamasa and Halfords Pro. over Snap-On and Britool. You don't need to spend loads. :)

I get what you mean mate, i have some halfords pro stuff (made by snap on, or so i heard :search: ) and its never gone wrong. I also have a catalogue for Britool as my cousin can apparently get discount so will have a look...are they as respect as Snap on/Mac tools then?

I get what you mean mate, i have some halfords pro stuff (made by snap on, or so i heard :search: ) and its never gone wrong. I also have a catalogue for Britool as my cousin can apparently get discount so will have a look...are they as respect as Snap on/Mac tools then?

:)

Most definitely one of the Austec boys, I'll stick to my Halfords industrial stuff ;)

:)

Nice one, will have a better look into that kit ;) . Is Teng a highly rated make as i have heard that they are 'ok' but not great...or was that person just talking rubbish :search:

hi,

a lot of my tools are teng as i get really good discount on them.

they have a lifetime guarntee and as yet i have never broken any. so because of these factors they do represent value for money.

although compared to some of my snap on gear they are of lower quality but im a big believer in you get what you pay for.

thanks mark

hi,

a lot of my tools are teng as i get really good discount on them.

they have a lifetime guarntee and as yet i have never broken any. so because of these factors they do represent value for money.

although compared to some of my snap on gear they are of lower quality but im a big believer in you get what you pay for.

thanks mark

Thanks mate. Cant get me any of that discount can you ;)

I'm another Halfords Pro range fan but if you want chests and some cheap tools until you can get better ones the Sealey Superline PRO and American PRO are OK - they keep sending me brochures but don't seem to have most of the stuff listed on their site.

They do a 5 drawer rollcab with a 9 drawer top chest, black, roller bearing drawers and a load of free tools thrown in (they say £200 worth but they don't look to be that great!) - £311.19 inc VAT for that anyway. Loads of smaller and bigger ones available.

These sort of things...

http://www.ccw-tools.com/pr6k3c843636/Sealey/Storage-&-Workstations/Sealey-Christmas-Toolbox-Promotion/c-1-4-181-1083/

Give the tools away or save them for emergency use and start collecting better stuff :)

Thanks mate. Cant get me any of that discount can you ;)

you will be able to get the discount, but will have to collect from the blackpool area.

the full story is i work for blackpool and the fylde college in the motor vehicle section and we have an account with a motor factors for buying in parts and tools. andrew curran ltd.

because we have about 20k of sales a year they allow staff or students to purchase cash sales at our discounted rate.

so next time your in blackpool...........

thanks mark

Nice one, will have a better look into that kit ;) . Is Teng a highly rated make as i have heard that they are 'ok' but not great...or was that person just talking rubbish :search:

Its fine for the diy mechanic and as said comes with a life time grantee so should you break anything you get it replaced for free :D

Ive always got SnapOn for work... Spent about 10k inc box with them

BUT, ive got Halfords at home, and a lot of people underestimate their stuff! Britool, kamasa, and is it K2 (the German make)... quite cheap and very good stuff!

Most tool manufacturers give the same Lifetime Guarantie like SnapOn do these days

Bluepoint - Distributed by Snap-on. I've been happy with the few blue-point spanners I have. Halfords stuff is good and they do swap out when snapped. I took them a 14mm socket that I had managed to snap. The fact that my hand was bandaged up because my hand hit the bulkhead at at a rapid pace was a subtle clue to the fact that I wasn't happy :)

I have some Draper Expert... seem OK but not the best. Probably on par with Halfrauds Pro.

A make I like is Elora. No super shiny finishes as all tools are hot drop forged. My dad's still got his Elora socket set that's older than me (it must be nearly 40 years old). Still looks like new.

I think they're part of Draper now?

Edit: Its not cheap!!! I've just seen my 1/2" drive breaker bar in the catalogue, its £36!!

That reminds me, my el cheapo socket set is knackered. I see the 120 piece Halfords Pro set is now £100 (saving £50 apparently), think I'll have to get that. Don't see the need for the 150 piece kit for £180, looks like just a few extra spanners.

You get the ratchet spanners in the bigger kit and a few extra sockets that are either side of the smaller kit sizes - they often reduce this one in price too, I got my 150 for £99 a while ago but it was only £149 to start with back then.