The mkiv Supra Owners Club

laser jammer

dini_the_owl

I really don't know why these jammers are still sold - they should all be banned everywhere.

I'm sorry but it's like giving someone a license to speed - at least with a detector it encourages the driver to slow down - with a jammer you just end up driving like a t*at everywhere.

Not having a go at anyone in particular mind - just silly devices IMO.

personally i think there crackin units,they still warn you like a detector but dosent let the fuzz get a signal untill the units alarm has been accepted, its still dodgy if you dont accept it as there units get a error code, wonder if they cover average speed cameras as well, as the technology is very similar?

wonder if they cover average speed cameras as well, as the technology is very similar?

No it's not, average speed cameras work by a computer reading your numberplate at each camera. They know how far apart the cameras are, so use the time between each numberplate being recorded at each camera to work out your speed. Laser detection works by bouncing a laser off your car and using the time it takes to bounce back to the gun to work out the distance to the target.

The trouble with laser jammers is that you would need one on the front and back, and if the police stop you and see them they'll probably do you for attempting to pervert the course of justice, or obstructing an officer.

mine are well hidden under the bumpers so they will not be seen by anyone,infact front 2are sitting infront of the alloy crash bar behind the bumper...hehe

"No it's not, average speed cameras work by a computer reading your numberplate at each camera. They know how far apart the cameras are, so use the time between each numberplate being recorded at each camera to work out your speed. Laser detection works by bouncing a laser off your car and using the time it takes to bounce back to the gun to work out the distance to the target."

Im not sure whether your comment is actually correct as the blinder does go off when im approaching one but i dont accept the alarm so does it know im there or not as nothing will be going back to the camera to say anything is there.

also if you look at the average cameras they normally have two guns on them, these i think are the ir detectors.

Im not sure whether your comment is actually correct as the blinder does go off when im approaching one but i dont accept the alarm so does it know im there or not as nothing will be going back to the camera to say anything is there.

also if you look at the average cameras they normally have two guns on them, these i think are the ir detectors.

No, they are IR spotlights so the numberplate camera can see well enough to read the plates at night without blinding drivers. Same as you see on security cameras so they can see at night. That's probably where your alarm is coming from, as IR light will set it off.

you may well be corect, not that i speed really just wanted to know if i can get away with them too!

would be interesting to know if it would block the ir a night though

Not much chance of that I'm afraid! The number plate cameras are very very good these days unfortunately. Police have being using them to track suspects for quite a while... :(

hmm... how many people have actually been caught by a speed gun from the back and successfully prosecuted?

Or are you referring to the scanners they have on cop cars?

No way of knowing, but the guns certainly work both ways. I've seen a car on a motorway bridge targetting cars heading away from them.

Police cars don't use anything sophisticated like lasers. They just use a video camera and an accurate speedo and time how long the car they are following takes to go between two points, and how long they themselves take. They know their own speed so can work out the car's speed too.

interesting , i have the m40 version wich has two jammers at the rear too so getting caught from behind is impossible.

my last sppeding fine was two years ago and got caught by an unmarked car decelarating off a dual carrageway @ 99.6mph, so lucky to escape a ban, instead 4 points and 120 quid fine. forgot what they called it but yep your right they just timed my car at two points on the slip road. unfortunately this you cannot stop even with the latest technology.

i remember now it was called "vascar"

Vascar isn't the latest and greatest thing, been using it for a while.

As far as average camera's go. These units are well designed, they will read the number plate quite happily, a laser jammer has absolutely no effect whatsoever on them. They are designed to simply take snapshots. As said above the software then calculates the normal time between the two selected cameras and then compares it. The system is completely passive. The ANPR system is highly advanced and VERY accurate. Next time you are a petrol station see if you can see the basic system, they use it to record number plates and you will be suprised at how accurate even the entry level systems are.