The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When will Amy Winehouse die? Betting site.

jamesmark

Most singers are good at singing/performing, and that's it. The music part is best left to musicians and/or the producer. It's rare when you get a GOOD singer, dancer, writer, musician and all-round performer.

I wouldn't count dancing in it anyway.

If your talent is your voice (Amy Lee from Evanescence for example) then normally you are a classically trained artist. Even the likes of KT Tunstalls writes and sings and produces. Perhaps not in popular chart music.

I haven't a clue who KT Tunstall or Amy Lee are as I know very little about modern music. What I do know that most of what I have heard is sh1te. Are you telling me they are good?

Ah someone open-minded with an appreciation of a range of stuff, the perfect person to be having this argument about music ;)

Keep up the great work and enjoy your 8 track collection.

I haven't a clue who KT Tunstall or Amy Lee are as I know very little about modern music. What I do know that most of what I have heard is sh1te. Are you telling me they are good?

I went for a rock voice and an acoustic type singer, both who can do the whole package that you speak of. I'm saying singers that play their own instruments, can write, can produce are alive and well.

I don't know what 'modern' music you speak of.

Ah someone open-minded with an appreciation of a range of stuff, the perfect person to be having this argument about music ;)

Keep up the great work and enjoy your 8 track collection.

Eeh cheeky. I have impeccable taste in music. I should know, I have made my living out of it for the past 15 years :p

I went for a rock voice and an acoustic type singer, both who can do the whole package that you speak of. I'm saying singers that play their own instruments, can write, can produce are alive and well.

There are many that are alive and well who should be shot.There are many, many more that are dead or have given up

Well I was talking about Winehouse, and that although she is good at what she does, there are many people behind her that put here there. It's not just her, there is a team of people working behind the scenes to put her where she is.

Also that she is nothing THAT special really, there have been many vocalists over the years with similar talent but that didn't get the recognition. And many others that are popular now, which are really just crap, people buy into it cos there is nothing better on offer. Or because they happen to look fit in their video.

people buy into it cos there is nothing better on offer. Or because they happen to look fit in their video.

Yep, I'm sure you're right. You've just described me to a tee there, really I have no idea about music at all. Thank goodness you're around to point me in the right direction.

I was having a bit of a chat the other day with my mum and sister about their sh!t taste in music and Amy Winehouse cropped up, they were saying she was a fantastic singer and all that (which she is) and my reply was that she's a dirty smackhead, (which really she is).

When I got back home though and was looking through my CD collection for something to put on, I noticed that just about every band on my shelves (mostly punk, metal etc) have spent most of their career off their faces on heroin or crack or whatever and I still idolise most of them...

Made me wonder whether it was just because I'm too young to remember if all my favourite bands were always in the papers for being off their tits, or whether it's just the usual "taking a crack at someone who's famous and fooked up" deal...

The world is just a huge media circus these days, it's big money - back in the day drugged out rockers had to do some crazy stuff to make the papers, now all they have to do is go to the newsagent and buy a pint of milk and Sunday papers.

Sadly many of them are just humans like the rest of us, they have problems and illnesses to deal with in the public eye, some folks just can't deal with it very well.

Made me wonder whether it was just because I'm too young to remember if all my favourite bands were always in the papers for being off their tits, or whether it's just the usual "taking a crack at someone who's famous and fooked up" deal...

Probably the latter. It's the old 'don't believe what you read in the papers' thing. If you like what you hear, that's the end of it. Enjoy it, why not? Why should some journalist, who's job it is to sell papers, tell you what's good and what isn't?

Really? Where is that then?

Funnily enough when you look back at the responses I have given in this thread I was agreeing with you to a certain extent, until you went off on a weird bitter production v artist debate.

Anyway getting back to Winehouse, she has changed her style of music a hell of a lot in the last few years Frank was completely Jazz, Back to Black isn't and I'm sure that has lots to do with the influences of people around her, samples of Motown music ('Tears dry on their own' had 'Aint no mountain high enough' running through it) etc etc etc.

Good luck to her.

Probably the latter. It's the old 'don't believe what you read in the papers' thing. If you like what you hear, that's the end of it. Enjoy it, why not? Why should some journalist, who's job it is to sell papers, tell you what's good and what isn't?

That's the thing, as Michael said above, it's just a big media circus centred around selling papers these days. Everybody, especially the journalists, (in fact, they're probably as bad as the artists), knows that most of their favourite bands/singers are off their faces on drink and drugs (and why not?), but they're still quick to circle in on anybody who's well known and try to bring them down.

I know it sells papers, but it just seems a bit wrong to me.

EDIT: Hypocritical - that's the word I was after.

Funnily enough when you look back at the responses I have given in this thread I was agreeing with you to a certain extent, until you went off on a weird bitter production v artist debate.

Anyway getting back to Winehouse, she has changed her style of music a hell of a lot in the last few years Frank was completely Jazz, Back to Black isn't and I'm sure that has lots to do with the influences of people around her, samples of Motown music ('Tears dry on their own' had 'Aint no mountain high enough' running through it) etc etc etc.

Good luck to her.

Eh? You never agreed with me, and I never went bitter! Like all old fogies I do rant about the state of modern music, but then again I've done that since I was 16. All I'm saying is that there is more to Winehouse than that which meets the eye. The drugs thing is totally irrelevant, what that has to do with her music is beyond me.