The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Connect xbox to pc screen?

JamieP

I would use a Component video cable to hook it up Jamie, that's what I do and it seems to do the trick ( 3 coloured one mate with Red, Green and Yellow). Old Xbox mind.

The TV has a HDMI and VGA port Jamie so if the Xbox 360 has a slot for an VGA cable or HDMI which I'm positive it does, well the Xbox 360 Elite one does I think, then you are sorted. Sadly I don't have a 360 so this is guesstimate work based on older xbox. :)

Something like this should do the trick perfectly ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HD-VGA-Cable-Plated-Connections/dp/B000FVUAL8

I would use a Component video cable to hook it up Jamie, that's what I do and it seems to do the trick ( 3 coloured one mate with Red, Green and Yellow). Old Xbox mind.

The TV has a HDMI and VGA port Jamie so if the Xbox 360 has a slot for an VGA cable or HDMI which I'm positive it does, well the Xbox 360 Elite one does I think, then you are sorted. Sadly I don't have a 360 so this is guesstimate work based on older xbox. :)

So do i need something that converts the component video cable to the hdmi slot?

See edited link above Jamie for cable needed.

Does the Monitor have inbuilt speakers??? Think it does actually, but are they going to be powerful enough?

Looks like the cable above does Audio too - see the separate 2 connectors white nad red, so you could hook this up to your Hi-Fi me thinks or surround sound etc

See here for more info: As you can see this allows you to hook into TV or Monitor. Quite eexpensive mind these Gold Plated jobbies :)

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/xbox-360-monster-hd-vga.html

I'll be doing the same soon with my new Xbox and my older Dell 2504fpw screen so let me know how it goes and what the picture quality looks like.

Either of those are fine Jamie, although for picture quality I would go with Gold Plated especially if the Monitor is HD ready ;)

Jay - you can indeed, but that doesn't bypass the audio issue if you want to use your own SS system or your monitor doesn't have speaker inbuilt.

Martin - colours are colours, Think you're right mate, Blue instead of Yellow. Can't remember but good shout. You know the one I mean! ;)

Ok a monitor with speakers that doesn't have audio phono inputs ? thats abit odd or am I missing the point ?

edit > Nice one JamieP

You've confused me now.

A) If the monitor doesn't have speakers inbuilt then you need to hook up the Xbox to your Stereo System for sound, correct? Surely you can't use the audio inputs on a monitor as I didn't think the VGA signal carried audio, just video streams?? May be wrong and wait to be corrected.

B) If the monitor does have speakers then it's not a problem surely?

Thinking about it, A would work but I would prefer hooking the Stereo directly to the Xbox and not through the Monitor, personally. :)

Sorry to hijack, but I wondered if it was possible to link my Wii to my MacBook Pro, just so I can play games while the tv is being watched by others etc.

It may be a strange question, but it would save having to buy another tv. Is that at all possible too? :)

Yes you can as per here. I'll try and find out how for you mate.

Andrew,

It can be done and loads of people have hooked up there Xbox 360's and TVs to their MacBook Pros.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72523&highlight=Wii

This is how. Use the existing cable that came with the Wii (the cable that has a connection for the Wii Console and 3 component leads which can either be used on their own or plugged into the scart adaptor). Then purchase yourself one of these, I presume you have a VGA port on your MacPro??

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/1120

I would then imagine you're good to go, although you would need some sort of software to view the Wii image and the MacPro has to be turned on. Not sure which but have a search on google and you should find something.

Just a quick update; that Elgato Eye-tv Hybrid looks fantastic!

As well as linking the Wii to my Mac, I could also record VHS to digital files to put onto DVD (fast Mac), and also watch 2 Freeview programmes (aerial included) at once while recording another and also edit them, then stick on to DVD (Toast) if I wanted! Its all lossless quality and super fast conversion, so Wii games won't suffer any slowdown (allegedly).

This is all out of the special edition box, which Elgato (http://www.elgato.com) are selling for a special price of £79.95 plus £10 delivery at the moment.

So I've ordered one! :)