The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WTF Is wrong with my back end!!! Grrr!

CardiffSupra

Changed my wheels back to standards today, Hoping to improve the handling. But It's undrivable, It feels like the car is driving on ice, back end kicking in and out. Iv had a look under the car and can't see anything lose. What could it be? someone said the shocks might be gone, But it's so bad I very much dout it would be that.

Nope, Iv put a diffrent set of wheels on. More or less feels like the back off the car is not attached to the front.

Have you checked that it is actually attached....:D

I take it you have looked at the tyre pressures. I had 34 in mine all round but forgot that the guy who refurbed my wheels had pumped them up last. My front end was all over the place, checked them last night. 27 psi all round except the front OS which had 17.......:blink:

Pumped all up to 34 and problem is solved!!

H.

When my front geometry was out of alignment it made the back feel increadibly nervous.

have you have a whole geometry check, the front may have slipped.

otherwise there is a stabiliser arm that comes off the rear - I have had bush failure in these. - did'nt feel nervous as when the geo was out, but did wander on the mortorway a bit.

I was going through the garage today, while Chris has my car.

I found 5 reciepts for geo check, for this year and thankfully chris found my front arm bushes were not tight enough; crappy aftermarket polys, so even though they were set, as soon as they shift the toe and castor go stright out of whack; the back end then feels like a rollerskate.

one thing i did find was that on full lock the front wheels would jump... as if they were following different arcs to each other when right they did not.

I was going through the garage today, while Chris has my car.

I found 5 reciepts for geo check, for this year and thankfully chris found my front arm bushes were not tight enough; crappy aftermarket polys, so even though they were set, as soon as they shift the toe and castor go stright out of whack; the back end then feels like a rollerskate.

one thing i did find was that on full lock the front wheels would jump... as if they were following different arcs to each other when right they did not.

That Sounds like the problem to me, I also get the little wheel jump on full lock. Will let the garage know tomoz.

Is it possible that your suspension bushes are worn badly enough that the wishbones are shifting around? Mine ended up like that and it got downright scary to drive, felt like it was going to throw me off the road at any moment... Rear wheel steering, tramlining, snatching when you change lanes. Real nasty.

-Ian

Is it possible that your suspension bushes are worn badly enough that the wishbones are shifting around? Mine ended up like that and it got downright scary to drive, felt like it was going to throw me off the road at any moment... Rear wheel steering, tramlining, snatching when you change lanes. Real nasty.

-Ian

Sounds about right, Iv just come home from work and noticed the two back wheels are kicking in at the top and it's not just a little! :banghead:

Sounds about right, Iv just come home from work and noticed the two back wheels are kicking in at the top and it's not just a little! :banghead:

when you can see your wheels are not all pointing the same way, that's definately time to get it sorted!!!

the rears will have a bit of negative camber there though - -1.5 degrees tops of the wheels leaning in towards the car...

have you been to check the alignment yet?

-Ian

mine snatching badly on lane changes and during have throttle

changing all the bushes over the winter hoping that solves it

when you can see your wheels are not all pointing the same way, that's definately time to get it sorted!!!

the rears will have a bit of negative camber there though - -1.5 degrees tops of the wheels leaning in towards the car...

have you been to check the alignment yet?

Yeah I could'nt beleve it, They are way way out. Cars booked in for Friday, Have'nt driven her for weeks now :(