The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4x4 Advice wanted

SupraAyf

Landcruiser. Simply the best. Prefer one off-road to a Defender any day. Also - the Range Rover is an X5/exec saloon competitor, it is not a true off road vehicle.

Yeah I took my rangey on an off-road adventure day. Smashed my front fogs, got stuck twice and had to be towed out but that was because I had road tyres on where the others had mud pluggers. To be fair to the vehicle it managed to go everywhere the smaller 90 defenders went and because its v8 hauled its ass up the steeper hills with ease. The biggest problem I had was cleaning the b*st*rd afterwards, if you ever do take your luxo 4x4 offroad make sure there is a sluice pit to wash the mud off before it bakes itself into places you didn't know existed.

I'd second the whole toyota thing. I have a 97 p38, seriously really don't bother with that model as its liable to be a money pit (they aren't all that way but the risk is so high of getting a sh*tter I wouldn't go near one thats not in warranty). I would kill for a disco 3 TDV6 HSE spec but thats just me. The volvo looks like a nice motor but any sniff of bad reliability and again you are into huge repair bills as volvo parts are not cheap. The landcruiser is internationally known as a work horse. As much as we like to think that landrover are the world champs of off road its simply not true any more. Face it the entire continents of africa and australia all majorly use landcruisers in extreme conditions. You wanna feel safe in any motor your missus drives phnar phnar, seriously though the whole volvo range fit the bill.

I've got to agree with you on the whole Toyota thing DB.;)

I've got a Toyota 4Runner as a daily driver, got it just to test the water as far as 4x4's go and love it:)

The thing is it's a '96 model and I want something newer now I know I like the whole 4x4 thing.

I've looked at the new Toyota's and not too keen on the looks so now going to go for an L200 Warrior (don't like the look of the newest L200's).

Hope it's going to be as good as the Toyota, btw anyone that wants a 3 litre diesel, manual, 4Runner (UK) with 80K on the clock then give me a shout cause it's up for grabs soon;)

Right guys,

I am after a 4X4 so that my wife can feel safe when driving around Tescos car park and I have managed to narrow the choice to the following:

1. Volvo XC90

2. Toyota 5dr Landcruiser

3. RangeRover

I have listed them in order of my current preferences but have you guys got any advice on the 3 vehicles mentioned. (I want a 4x4 for when I travel on my adventure activity trips to UK National Parks and I want to travel in style - the Supe just isn't that good for snow covered mountain tracks).

Should I consider any other options - open to suggestions.

Cheers everyone,

Andrew

I think you should buy a merc M-Class. They will scare all tesco people away, and your wife will feel very safe.