The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4x4 Advice wanted

SupraAyf

Right guys,

I am after a 4X4 so that my wife can feel safe when driving around Tescos car park and I have managed to narrow the choice to the following:

1. Volvo XC90

2. Toyota 5dr Landcruiser

3. RangeRover

I have listed them in order of my current preferences but have you guys got any advice on the 3 vehicles mentioned. (I want a 4x4 for when I travel on my adventure activity trips to UK National Parks and I want to travel in style - the Supe just isn't that good for snow covered mountain tracks).

Should I consider any other options - open to suggestions.

Cheers everyone,

Andrew

ive just bought the wife a land rover (freelander) (a 52 plate 2003 reg) for £4500 and she reckons its great, its not as heavy on the juice as our old landcruiser and she feels 100% safer than a normal car, now i know the freelander has had some bad press but to be honest they are comfy, not bad on petrol, perminant 4wd and cheap to run. well thats my opinion even though i had a 2007 landcruiser when i was in Ireland, and an Isuzu trooper (both commercial) diesel was cheaper in Ireland so it didnt reflect to much on the running costs, where as over here diesel is £1.05 at least, you only get 4 or 5 miles more to the gallon and the diesel version of the freelander is £3500 more expensive so i cant really see a saving. and for everyone who hates landrover freelanders, try driving one you may be surprised (i can off road dont need a licence:p:p)

land cruiser was the best of the bunch for me, i have had landrover, disco and defender,(although the defender came out tops on 4x4 in the heavy ground) the shogun was okish, had an older range rover yuk, but for normal and light to medium 4x4 use it the landcruiser all the way for me

I'd go for the Toyota.

You see, the United Nations have bought some 12,000 Toyota Land Cruisers over the years, and you'll invariably see one on any Middle-East crisis newscast, storming cheerfully down a desert track or prowling through a village Swiss-cheesed with mortar fire.

They get painted Daz white, hammered to hell and back, and still the UN has an insatiable passion for this full-size SUV from Toyota.

Why? Because they never break; there's a reason why the outback is littered with the carcasses of old Land Rovers and not broken Toyotas.

why would you want one just for the shopping when the tax is going to sting?

If you buy a car, 4x4 thats registered before 2001 then its the usual £180 tax per year.

Blasphemer! Eject this man from the country.

Range Rover all the way, for off-road ability its second only to the Defender, but that'll be too utilitatian.

Shame reliability is still an issue. I agree the offroad ability is first class but thats it. Wish toyota would take them over and we would have a world class leader. A friend of mine works for landrover and has just done the g4 challenge where they put these to the test and still rates the defender for real feel. Great when they do work but alot of pocket money to put right.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the info and comments - it is much appreciated. I am off for a test drive in the Toyota tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it from your points in this thread. I have read the What Car private owners reviews on the Range and they seem hit and miss to be honest - some love them and some hate them.

The Disco-3 is a good idea and has excellent reviews but it is not for me. It is just too much like a box TBH and the missus hates it.

The XC-90 has some cracking reviews but it looks as if it is going to be a 2-horse race between the Volvo and the Toyota.

I will let you all know how the road tests go and let me just hope I don’t have to use the special pedestrian protection crumple zones of the Volvo during my drive out (lol).:D

Cheers guys,

Andrew

I've got a Landcruiser for the wife to blat around in. The Volvo was difficult to get hold of and the Range Rover very expensive. The Toyota won hands down. It's a great machine, imagine the Supra but engineered as a 4x4. Awesome. This is the LC4 D4D:

The Toyota is a proper 4x4 as well. (Not that our wife's need that but it's nice to know)

I just been looking at big 4x4 for Leigh and came across this, looks a bit tasty:)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/316645.htm

Nice wheels Jamie. I went down the Jeep road a few weeks ago but there wasn't anything in the range that really flicked the switch. There are so many things to choose from at the moment.

I've got a Landcruiser for the wife to blat around in. The Volvo was difficult to get hold of and the Range Rover very expensive. The Toyota won hands down. It's a great machine, imagine the Supra but engineered as a 4x4. Awesome. This is the LC4 D4D:

The Volvo dealer told me today that I should stay clear of Landcruisers as the Gypo's steal them all to pull their caravans - strange comment I thought!!

I'd second the whole toyota thing. I have a 97 p38, seriously really don't bother with that model as its liable to be a money pit (they aren't all that way but the risk is so high of getting a sh*tter I wouldn't go near one thats not in warranty). I would kill for a disco 3 TDV6 HSE spec but thats just me. The volvo looks like a nice motor but any sniff of bad reliability and again you are into huge repair bills as volvo parts are not cheap. The landcruiser is internationally known as a work horse. As much as we like to think that landrover are the world champs of off road its simply not true any more. Face it the entire continents of africa and australia all majorly use landcruisers in extreme conditions. You wanna feel safe in any motor your missus drives phnar phnar, seriously though the whole volvo range fit the bill.