The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I just managed to get my broadband from 4mb to 8mb easily (details inside)

Whitesupraboy2

shouldnt do its ADSL +2 compatable which is up to 24Mbps :)

From reading up on it, the exchange does checks on your speed and if Signal to Noise ratio ratio drops below 6Db it lowers the line sync (speed) until this signal raises above 6db. this is basing that a user would rather have a stable connection then a fast connection. The higher the signal to noise ratio the better. Before I was at 6 -7 Db with 4mb on the line, I now have 9.5 - 10.5db with 8mb on the line.

Im amazed that info like this isnt out there more, I wonder how many people are effected by this. Im sure alot of people would rather bu ya new phone that detects a ring anyway or most probably have one wired point with other wireless stations.

I've only just started looking into it. Another thread highlighted the fact that users could be having their speed throttled because of lack of use.

Paying for 8mbs and getting 1.93 :blink: But the test came back as 99% stable with BT, the highest isp on the site. Still, I'm gonna question stuff based on this info. so thanks James and co. :)

Thought id update this thread, Im now at my full 8mb download, apart from when im put into the heavy user group :innocent: last night i was downloading at 7mb and when im put in to the heavy user group its at 3mb - 4mb.

My uncle was on a 2mb service, before he called up to upgrade he unplugged the ring wire (number 3) and his Signal to noise margin went up to 30Db, his ISP has now told him when he upgrades he will get the full 8mb. Id hope so too when he is just over 1km from the exchange.

• 1 month later...

Just punting this to the top as I just had Tiscali TV installed.

My connection before was 3.5Mb after my exchange being upgraded to 8Mb capability.

On installing the set top box and their Speedtouch wireless router that goes with it to support Tiscali TV (it has a video bridge built in), the engineer did his tests and said some margin or other was too low. It was working at that point but he was really good and said he'd come back later to renew my phone wiring. True to his word, he came back about 5PM and spent the best part of 3hrs renewing all the phone cabling from the junction box that comes into the house to the master socket downstairs and the extension socket upstairs. Did his tests again and said now all fine, said my line speed would probably be able to increase now. Just checked my SpeedTouch connection details from the router and it shows the following:

---

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:18:59

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 352 / 3,584

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.10 / 2.37

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 47.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 21.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 67

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

---

Dunno what the signal to noise ratio was before but going by this thread my 20dB average rating should mean I'm able to get up to the full 8Mb???

I can ring Tiscali and ask them to reprofile my line to hopefully force a faster speed but before I do can anyone give me any feedback from the above numbers?

Also, I'm 1.94 KM from my exchange going by this great site I found for exchange information:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=ESBAT

Cheers,

Brian.

Nothing I can see capping it on the router :search:

It does appear to be physically capped though as the actual line stats look good. It's very efficient. I'd have a word with Tiscali mate and maybe also send them those stats. I doubt it will be a problem, it's more of a provisioning thing.

It does appear to be physically capped though as the actual line stats look good. It's very efficient. I'd have a word with Tiscali mate and maybe also send them those stats. I doubt it will be a problem, it's more of a provisioning thing.

That's good to hear :)

Care to do a dummies guide on what all those things above mean? :eyebrows: lol

Well not quite a dummy, I work in IT in data management and server consolidation. Don't understand the phone tech jargon or significance though!

Just phoned Tiscali BTW, they said they'd reprofile my line no problem but 'that system was down' at the moment - call back in about an hour :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Brian.

No real tech info on any of the above stats on those sites, just generic ADSL stuff I already know!

I want the geeky version of what the stats above mean :)

Cheers,

Brian.

OK...

*Deep breath*

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 352 / 3,584 - this is obvious

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5 - this is the output power over the line relative to 1 milliwatt.

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 47.0 - this is basically the noise level on the line or the light level being transmitted through fibre. The lower the better. You want minimal attenuation. Should be lower that 60db really for ADSL so you're well in spec.

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 21.0 - Same as SNR. SNR stands for signal to noise ratio and is basically the difference between the level of the signal being received compared with the natural noise level on the line.

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you are losing no frames

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you are not losing signal

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you have no power problems

Loss of Link (Remote): 0 - you didn't lose the link

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you have no errored seconds i.e. your line wasn't in an error state for any time.

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 67 - you have no forward error correction errors, meaning that your line is not in an error state. FEC not only detects errors but where possible corrects them, meaning you don't have as much information that must be reset. Wiki goes nice and geeky on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 - cyclic redundancy errors are usually caused by a physical problem on the line or kit (card etc). It's caused when a frame isn't returned over the circuit properly.

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 - this would indicate a corrupt header checksum being received by broadband trunk module (Usually on a highspeed circuit). This is a way of identifying errors on the high-speed portion rather than the low speed tail circuit.

If you have any other questions let me know :) It's a lot easier to answer specific questions rather than to explain all.

HTH

OK...

*Deep breath*

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 352 / 3,584 - this is obvious

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 18.5 - this is the output power over the line relative to 1 milliwatt.

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 47.0 - this is basically the noise level on the line or the light level being transmitted through fibre. The lower the better. You want minimal attenuation. Should be lower that 60db really for ADSL so you're well in spec.

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 21.0 - Same as SNR. SNR stands for signal to noise ratio and is basically the difference between the level of the signal being received compared with the natural noise level on the line.

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you are losing no frames

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you are not losing signal

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you have no power problems

Loss of Link (Remote): 0 - you didn't lose the link

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0 - you have no errored seconds i.e. your line wasn't in an error state for any time.

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 67 - you have no forward error correction errors, meaning that your line is not in an error state. FEC not only detects errors but where possible corrects them, meaning you don't have as much information that must be reset. Wiki goes nice and geeky on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 - cyclic redundancy errors are usually caused by a physical problem on the line or kit (card etc). It's caused when a frame isn't returned over the circuit properly.

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0 - this would indicate a corrupt header checksum being received by broadband trunk module (Usually on a highspeed circuit). This is a way of identifying errors on the high-speed portion rather than the low speed tail circuit.

If you have any other questions let me know - It's a lot easier to answer specific questions rather than to explain all.

HTH

Brilliant, thanks Gaz :)

Just been back onto Tiscali and I have some new stats:

---

DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:09

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 576 / 5,088

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 7.00 / 7.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 47.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 12.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / GSPN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 136

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

---

So I'm now up to 5Mb :D

The tech dude that was doing the reprofiling said that was about my lot as the line attenuation down the way was now just above 45 which is the limit. He also said the SNR should be above 10 ideally so my 12 ish is still good at the faster speed :)

Happy enough at that, I was on 1MB for most of last year!!!

Cheers,

Brian.

• 2 years later...
I thought Id post a link to this as it worked for me :D I never even knew disconnecting other wires I should of really as I use to work with Telex.

Anyway I disconnected all wires in the extension boxes and the main box around the house and my broadband speed went from 4mb to my full 8mb :) Chuffed to bits. Also my Noise margin went up from 6Db to 10Db so it means a more stable connection too, so it should be able to handle the higher speeds without dropping out.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

Its worth a go for those people paying for 8mb and getting 3 or less. Just take photos of the sockets before so you can put the wires back if needed, but i doubt you will as phones only use 2 and 5.

Whilst I did the wires, I turned the router off (pulled the plug) so it didnt keep trying for a connection.

Hope this helps someone.

I tried that last night and it didn't make a difference :(