The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I just managed to get my broadband from 4mb to 8mb easily (details inside)

Whitesupraboy2

I thought Id post a link to this as it worked for me :D I never even knew disconnecting other wires I should of really as I use to work with Telex.

Anyway I disconnected all wires in the extension boxes and the main box around the house and my broadband speed went from 4mb to my full 8mb :) Chuffed to bits. Also my Noise margin went up from 6Db to 10Db so it means a more stable connection too, so it should be able to handle the higher speeds without dropping out.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

Its worth a go for those people paying for 8mb and getting 3 or less. Just take photos of the sockets before so you can put the wires back if needed, but i doubt you will as phones only use 2 and 5.

Whilst I did the wires, I turned the router off (pulled the plug) so it didnt keep trying for a connection.

Hope this helps someone.

I thought Id post a link to this as it worked for me :D I never even knew disconnecting other wires I should of really as I use to work with Telex.

Anyway I disconnected all wires in the extension boxes and the main box around the house and my broadband speed went from 4mb to my full 8mb :) Chuffed to bits. Also my Noise margin went up from 6Db to 10Db so it means a more stable connection too, so it should be able to handle the higher speeds without dropping out.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

Its worth a go for those people paying for 8mb and getting 3 or less. Just take photos of the sockets before so you can put the wires back if needed, but i doubt you will as phones only use 2 and 5.

Whilst I did the wires, I turned the router off (pulled the plug) so it didnt keep trying for a connection.

Hope this helps someone.

Mate I just tested and mine came out at 1.9 bloody 3 and I'm paying for 8.

What's going on????

I have got a engineer coming out Monday but hell what do you recommend.???

Mate I just tested and mine came out at 1.9 bloody 3 and I'm paying for 8.

What's going on????

I have got a engineer coming out Monday but hell what do you recommend.???

Have you done the above? It took 5 mins for me to do all sockets. 2 screws on each one and pull out the other wires apart from 2 and 5 as they are not used.

oooh im meant to be getting 24meg, but am only getting 8 at the mo :(

definately gonna give this a go - nice one mate :thumbs:

Let me know I want to know if others gain as much as me, also check the noise margin if that goes up the ISP may take a few days to up speed as they test line with reconnections to see if your line will hold it.

Perhaps pics may be wise dude, i can imagine somebody reading this and attacking the wrong sockets :p

Pics seriously not needed

Every telephone socket i opened has 6 points where the wires clipped in...numbered 1 - 6

Remove everything but 2 and 5 :D take a photo before incase you need to put them back.

If your not sure whether your about to undo cover on telephone socket, put the screwdriver down and step away.

Not yet mate. Will be doing it in the presence of Mr BT engineer Monday though..:eyebrows:

If its anything like BT man who came to mine, he'll say BT is only responsible up to the point where the main box enters the house and then wont advise you on other areas because as far as they concerned they can only guarantee the connection up to that point. :rolleyes:

If its anything like BT man who came to mine, he'll say BT is only responsible up to the point where the main box enters the house and then wont advise you on other areas because as far as they concerned they can only guarantee the connection up to that point. :rolleyes:

He's coming to set up a more secure network mate. I got traumatized trying to get it all sorted properly, so forked out the fee.

He's gonna earn it. :eyebrows:

This will only work if the components you are taking off the network aren't up to the spec of your network or are faulty. Personally I'd be ruling out those things first.

you may be right there, I was told maximum connection I could have stable on my phone line was about 3mb, due to things including noise on the line, so I guess if the line noise margin is increased, means the speed can increase!

Glad to see MRX has done it as well or id begin to think I am a one off!

Pics seriously not needed

Every telephone socket i opened has 6 points where the wires clipped in...numbered 1 - 6

Remove everything but 2 and 5 :D take a photo before incase you need to put them back.

If your not sure whether your about to undo cover on telephone socket, put the screwdriver down and step away.

Some people might find the orange/white cable going into number 3 as it's the ringer :)

you may be right there, I was told maximum connection I could have stable on my phone line was about 3mb, due to things including noise on the line, so I guess if the line noise margin is increased, means the speed can increase!

Glad to see MRX has done it as well or id begin to think I am a one off!

I'm not saying it's a bad thing mate :) it's a result that your connection is better. I'm not sure you'll find it more stable though, possibly less in some situations. The 3mb threshold is there for a reason after all...

I'm not saying it's a bad thing mate :) it's a result that your connection is better. I'm not sure you'll find it more stable though, possibly less in some situations. The 3mb threshold is there for a reason after all...

I'll update this thread to let people know how its going to make sure it doesnt make things worse.. You following my IT threads today :D

Just had a read up on this it was to allow older phones on extensions to ring. It says modern phones have their own detection hardware, so just done a check on my number and all phones still ringing.

Cheers for heads up on that!

:thumbs: Didn't realise that. Thanks :)