The mkiv Supra Owners Club

trickle charger - where to mount the -ve?

Branners

Having tried a couple of solar trickle chargers with limited success I'm looking for a conventional wired one to keep the Supra alive for months at a time while I'm neglecting to use it.

This seems to be the best existing thread on such things so I thought I'd have a bump to see if people still rate the AccuMate one as being OK for a car that's left outside? Any others I should consider that might have come onto the market since this thread?

I have a socket just inside the garage door and the Supra parks close to it but I'd need at least 5m of cable to get out to the car and up to the battery from the wall socket, ideally I'd like more.

I like the idea of there being a connector on the car that allows me to plug in without lifting the bonnet too.

Suggestions welcomed :) I'm guessing a few folks will take their cars off the road for winter so this could be a useful thing for them too.

PS: I don't really like wires and don't do electricity, it scares me - the easier to install / extend the better.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a c tek charger and it comes with stuff to hard wire it to the car, then you just plug a connector in and its done.

these are available from costco, once the battery is fully charged, the charger cycles it on and off to maintain the battery

I'm going to go and have a look in Costco tonight because I remember seeing these, from what I can gather they sell the CTEK Zafir 90 which is slightly different version of the XS 3600 - it doesn't have as much grunt and it aimed at smaller batteries than the XS but will still get them charged, just slower. Having said this I think the Zafir would be OK for a Supra battery anyway?

http://www.ctek.com/EN-GB/Buy-Charger.aspx?charger=mxs3600

http://www.ctek.com/EN-GB/Buy-Charger.aspx?charger=zafir90

Zafir 90

Input voltage AC 170-260VAC, 50-60Hz

Output voltage Nominal: 12V

Efficiency 85%

Charging voltage 14.4V/0.5A, 14.4V/3.3A, 14.7V/3.3A

Charging current 3.3A max

Back current drain* 1.3mA

Ripple** max 50mV rms, 0.13A

Ambient temperature -20°C to +50°C, output power is reduced automatically at higher temperatures.

Type of charger Four step, fully automatic switch mode with pulse maintenance.

Type of batteries 12V lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, AGM and GEL)

Battery capacity 1.0 -90Ah

Dimensions (L x W x H) 165x61x38mm

Insulation IP 65 (splash and dust proof), outdoor use

Weight 0.5kg

XS 3600

Input voltage AC 170-260VAC, 50-60Hz

Output voltage Nominal: 12V

Efficiency 85%

Charging voltage 14.4V/0.8A, 14.4V/3.6A, 14.7V/3.6A

Charging current 3.6A max

Back current drain* 1.3mA

Ripple** max 50mV rms, 0.13A

Ambient temperature -20°C to +50°C, output power is reduced automatically at higher temperatures.

Type of charger Four step, fully automatic switch mode with pulse maintenance.

Type of batteries 12V lead-acid batteries (Wet, MF, AGM and GEL)

Battery capacity 1.2 -120Ah

Dimensions (L x W x H) 165x61x38mm

Insulation IP 65 (splash and dust proof), outdoor use

Weight 0.5kg

I also seem to think the Costco one is grey not blue so now I'm wondering if what I've read on the 'net about them selling the Zafir is wrong, will see later on. I'd rather have the XS 3600 personally, there are more extras available and the battery wire > easy plug thingy is much nicer.

If they have them and the price is favourable I'll report back.

For anyone wanting to just trickle and not fully charge the CTEK XS800 looks like a cheap solution, offers the same mounting solutions as the more expensive ones, a simple plug, and can trickle up to 100Ah, it can only fully charge up to 32Ah though. About £33 delivered on eBay with a 5 year warranty, a couple of quid more from normal online suppliers.

• 1 month later...

I got the XS 3600 in the end and hooked it up earlier today - when I switched the power on at the wall the alarm chirped and the cars indicators stayed on. I took it off and put my conventional charger on instead, this just got on with charging, no indicators on.

Faulty XS 3600 or something they do?

My Accumate doesn't do this, just switch on and the light on the unit is amber then turns green when trickle charging.

The lights on the unit are behaving as I'd expect, I'm thinking it's the alarm not liking the way the CTEK charges or something, seems odd though, giving it a charge with the normal one to put some life in the battery and then will try again.

Cheers.

The lights on the unit are behaving as I'd expect, I'm thinking it's the alarm not liking the way the CTEK charges or something, seems odd though, giving it a charge with the normal one to put some life in the battery and then will try again.

As you say it's odd, sounds like an alarm issue to me too, have you got a decent earth from it to the car?

Just seems strange how the alarm is OK with the other charger connected to the same places.

Have tried the CTEK on a few points now, all with the same result. More experimentation needed but I'll wait until it's not having to charge a completely flat battery and the alarm has some life in other than it's own standby battery.

I got the XS 3600 in the end and hooked it up earlier today - when I switched the power on at the wall the alarm chirped and the cars indicators stayed on. I took it off and put my conventional charger on instead, this just got on with charging, no indicators on.

Faulty XS 3600 or something they do?

Do you still have the original Scorpion alarm on your car Michael?

Hmmm. OK that rules out the old Scorpion sticky relay issue then... Did you have a very flat battery when you first put the XS charger on? - A sudden voltage spike may have confused the Toad unit into holding on the indicators. I can't think of any reason other than that, that any type of charger would make indicator relays hold on. Try it again, just out of interest

Hmmm. OK that rules out the old Scorpion sticky relay issue then... Did you have a very flat battery when you first put the XS charger on? - A sudden voltage spike may have confused the Toad unit into holding on the indicators. I can't think of any reason other than that, that any type of charger would make indicator relays hold on. Try it again, just out of interest

They keyfob wouldn't open the doors, I had to unlock with the key so yes, it was pretty flat :)

When I pressed the button on the CTEK to drop it to the "motorbike" mode the indicators went dim, putting it back to "car" brightened them up again.

I've got the other one on there now to pump a bit of life into it so I'll try again later.

Another one while you are here, I don't really do wires but want to extend the wire on the CTEK so it can reach outside if necessary, will basic wire rated at 3A be OK for this or do I need something more heavy duty?

And finally what's the best way of connecting the wire if the join is likely to be open to the elements?

They keyfob wouldn't open the doors, I had to unlock with the key so yes, it was pretty flat :)

When I pressed the button on the CTEK to drop it to the "motorbike" mode the indicators went dim, putting it back to "car" brightened them up again.

Motorbike mode was probably 6 volts, that would explain the dim lights.

I would suggest it was a one off issue. I doubt there is anything wrong with the charger

Another one while you are here, I don't really do wires but want to extend the wire on the CTEK so it can reach outside if necessary, will basic wire rated at 3A be OK for this or do I need something more heavy duty?

And finally what's the best way of connecting the wire if the join is likely to be open to the elements?

As you are extending the cable, I would suggest 5a cable really. The best type of joint would be a soldered joint and wrapped in self amalgamating tape. The tape is the important part because normal insulation tape will hold moisture and cause the joint to corrode and breakdown.

The CTEK is back on, no indicators at all this time so I think you are right, a one-off based on the battery being so flat, hopefully something I won't have now I have something to keep it alive :)

Thanks for the tips on the tape, something I've never heard of, I'll get back down Maplin tomorrow, they seem to sell it even if it doesn't come in nice colours :) The 3A wire did look a bit weedy when I looked so I'll spend a bit more on that. Cheers.