The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Am Legend (The Film, not me) ** spoilers inside**

MrRalphMan

I just got back from watching it and I was very let down with it...

In my opinion (please feel free to argue with me), the following things let it down:

1. they could have made it much more than it was. The story didn't really have any direction. I.e. until the woman arrived it was an apocolyptic version of Castaway.

2. If the Zombies are mindless monsters why did they think to move the manikin?

3. All the 'Zombies' looked the same (and were made via computer generation)

4. Why did they set the dogs on him and not go after him themselves (if they are so mad and blood thirsty)?

5. Was it me or was there one 'Zombie' boss (the guy who released the dogs, headbutted the glass etc) and if so didn't he die on the when the woman saved Will Smith at the port?

6. If the 'Zombies' found him by tracking his blood, surely they would have done that years ago?

7. Anyone know what that water was that he poured over his step?

8. it was very similar to 28 days later (but rather than a story line they just spent money on computer generation).

IMO if they had made the film an hour longer, added more depth to the storyline (i.e. why would Will Smith give his life to pass the cure to a woman on a religious quest when he had only just met her and when he stated like 1 scene earlier that God didn't exist).

do you take notes in a cinema?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from watching it and I was very let down with it...

In my opinion (please feel free to argue with me), the following things let it down:

1. they could have made it much more than it was. The story didn't really have any direction. I.e. until the woman arrived it was an apocolyptic version of Castaway.

AGREED

HE SAID THEY HAD LOST ALL HUMAN ACTIVITY I.E. THEY WERE COMPLETELY LOST. BUT THEY HADN'T, AND THE ZOMBIE LEADER DEMONSTRATED THAT. THEY WATCHED AND LEARNT

3. All the 'Zombies' looked the same (and were made via computer generation)

AGREED

4. Why did they set the dogs on him and not go after him themselves (if they are so mad and blood thirsty)?

DOGS CAN COME OUT AT DUSK. IT WASN'T NIGHT TIME WHEN THE DOGS WERE SET OUT ON WILL, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD OF COME OUT THEMSELVES. THE FILM DID SAY THAT.

5. Was it me or was there one 'Zombie' boss (the guy who released the dogs, headbutted the glass etc) and if so didn't he die on the when the woman saved Will Smith at the port?

THOUGHT SO. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THOUGH. A BRIGHT SHINING LIGHT AND THAT WAS IT.

6. If the 'Zombies' found him by tracking his blood, surely they would have done that years ago?

OPEN, SPILT BLOOD, NOT THAT WHICH CIRCULATES THE BODY I WOULD HAZARD A GUESS.

7. Anyone know what that water was that he poured over his step?

BLEECH OR ANOTHER FLAMABLE FLUID I WOULD IMAGINE.

8. it was very similar to 28 days later (but rather than a story line they just spent money on computer generation).

PARTIALLY AGREE.

IMO if they had made the film an hour longer, added more depth to the storyline (i.e. why would Will Smith give his life to pass the cure to a woman on a religious quest when he had only just met her and when he stated like 1 scene earlier that God didn't exist).

HD DIDN'T BELIEVE GOD DID EXIST, BUT ONCE HE SAW THE BUTTERFLY HE KNEW AFTER HIS SON HAD MENTIONED IN THE BACK OF THE CAR, THAT WAS THE SIGN THAT THERE WAS HOPE. HENCE HE HANDED OVER THE CURE AND GAVE HIS LIFE TO SAVE ALL OTHERS..

Comments above :)

I presumed the stuff he poured on the steps was bleach but the rest of your points are valid IMO.

OMG! Michael said a non negative comment AND agreed with me! I'm so lucky! :D:p

Thanks!

HD DIDN'T BELIEVE GOD DID EXIST, BUT ONCE HE SAW THE BUTTERFLY HE KNEW AFTER HIS SON HAD MENTIONED IN THE BACK OF THE CAR, THAT WAS THE SIGN THAT THERE WAS HOPE. HENCE HE HANDED OVER THE CURE AND GAVE HIS LIFE TO SAVE ALL OTHERS..

Comments above :)

Thanks Sheefa!...

The butterfly thing highlights my main complaint about the film. It was so quick... i.e. 2 seconds that it was so easy to miss. I got it but thought it weak! The film needed more time to give it depth.

As for the dogs... The sunlight effected them in the same way as the people (hence the dogs waited till the light went). If the dogs could go after him surely the people could?

do you take notes in a cinema?

No, I happened to read this thread about 5 min after watching the film and I have a good memory!

As for the dogs... The sunlight effected them in the same way as the people (hence the dogs waited till the light went). If the dogs could go after him surely the people could?

There are news paper articles saying dogs are ok at dusk, humans for some reason not explained had to wait till it was dark.

They waited at the sun line as it was direct sunlight.

Up to where the women makes breakfast....................poor Sam. :(

I am getting too soft in my old age.

There was this old fella sat in front of me, his reaction to most scenes was laughter even when it wasn't appropriate, when he did it on that awful part I nearly leant over and strangled him.

Films always have the "contains moderate violence" thing on these days, I wish they would add a "contains a sad bit with animals" so I can avoid those. Toast the kids, chop granny up etc but leave the animals out of it!

Films always have the "contains moderate violence" thing on these days, I wish they would add a "contains a sad bit with animals" so I can avoid those. Toast the kids, chop granny up etc but leave the animals out of it!

Here here.

I always get a lump in my throat when animals are involved.

I thought it was a great film. Great acting by mr Smith and the storyline was original... not the usual call in the US airforce to save the world type of thing.

Transformers - great graphics but the acting from the support characters and general target audience was not to my liking. Aimed at mid-teens I thought, with mid-teen american type of comedy thrown in.

:yeahthat:

To the point that I could have written exactly these comments myself.

Did they move the manikin? I thought that Will moved it but went a bit crazy, or am I wrong?

Didn't they just follow the car back, and then wait for night again?

Good film though.

It makes sense that it was Mr Smith who moved the mannequin, the method used to set the trap there was almost identical to the one he used earlier... unless the boss monster fella decided to go out and copy what he'd seen of course.

It certainly opens up a lot of questions anyway.

I was very impressed with the realism of the CGI though, especially for the city scenes.

The book sounds so much better though, I suspect I'll pick a copy up - I like the idea of there being more "normal" people out there that Neville is hunting out too, the fact that he's actually the monster as much as the zombie vampires are, that seems to have been lost in the film.

To me he "is Legend" because he found a cure in the film whereas the book has him as the Legend because he's become a mythical figure known for killing monsters and the more normal people as the master predator rather than a saviour.

I can't help wondering if it's actually just very cunning marketing so a DVD offering can be released with answers to some of the questions and an alternate ending...

It makes sense that it was Mr Smith who moved the mannequin, the method used to set the trap there was almost identical to the one he used earlier... unless the boss monster fella decided to go out and copy what he'd seen of course.....

I'd like to think that the 'boss zombie' copied Will Smith (he did happen to be watching afterall) as opposed to Smith going mad...

It certainly opens up a lot of questions anyway....

The scene opened up loads of questions and options to develop the script... but again didn't actually address or use then (and I doubt there will be a 2nd film since he blew himself up!

I can't help wondering if it's actually just very cunning marketing so a DVD offering can be released with answers to some of the questions and an alternate ending...

My thought was... oooh it is Christmas soon... lets release it early and cash in on the Christmas crowd.