The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New HKS SSQV recirc kit

p3te

hi im waiting on a New HKS SSQV coming for my UK spec auto, now i understand i need to recirculate this and the connector for the bov is included but what else would i need thats not in the ssqv kit, also does recirculate it make it quieter?

cheers

Makes it virtually silent mate.

Will be as loud as your stock bov if you have an induction kit.

Try it without the recirc pipe, will probably be ok as its an SSQV.

Scott =op

On a Jspec however he has a UK spec so it needs a recirc kit. Compressor stall can reduce the life of the turbo. EDIT to add, that without recirc, the MAF sensor gets thrown off and causes the engine to stall.

Giving answers like probably doesn't help those who are looking for answers. If you know the answer give it, if you think you know the answer but aren't quite sure, then don't.

On a UK, if it vents instead of recirculating then it will run rich when the BOV opens. The ECU then compensates for this which then causes it to run lean when the BOV closes again. (So I heard anyway. Doug may tell me off though for not knowing for sure :) )

I've got the new HKS bov too (although fitted to a j-spec) and I'm pretty sure you just need to fit the connector and then fit a pipe to it. I don't know what comes in the kit though, might be worth asking Nic or one of the other traders, see if they know.

I've got the new HKS bov too (although fitted to a j-spec) and I'm pretty sure you just need to fit the connector and then fit a pipe to it. I don't know what comes in the kit though, might be worth asking Nic or one of the other traders, see if they know.

ok thanks ill get in touch with a few, is it just a straight pipe?

On a Jspec however he has a UK spec so it needs a recirc kit. Compressor stall can reduce the life of the turbo. EDIT to add, that without recirc, the MAF sensor gets thrown off and causes the engine to stall.

Giving answers like probably doesn't help those who are looking for answers. If you know the answer give it, if you think you know the answer but aren't quite sure, then don't.

*shuts up*

Will remember that next time. Just going on what i have read on THIS forum from other members. I have read that they haven't had any issues on a UK TT with an SSQV. I don't have a UK so thats the reason i said probably.

Won't bother next time

*edit* Just realised my MR2 has a MAF sensor. If i set the std BOV to vent it runs like a bag of nails. However with the SSQV there is no issue because it is the push pull type. I think it does overfuel for a millisecond when venting but its not noticeable with the SSQV. With the std one it feels sluggish for half a second.

Scott =op

*shuts up*

However with the SSQV there is no issue because it is the push pull type. Scott =op

What difference do you think that makes?

I think it does overfuel for a millisecond when venting but its not noticeable with the SSQV. With the std one it feels sluggish for half a second.

Scott =op

It's not the overfuelling that's the issue - it's the lean condition that inevitably follws!

Push pull type holds in pressure and doesn't leak. Std valves leak quite badly but its only noticeable when they are changed to VTA.

Why would it run lean? The ECU will asume the air is going in so it will run rich. The ECU will correct this to match the airflow as soon as it can, usually takes around 1/2 a second. Why would the ecu go from a rich state to a lean state? Once the valve is closed, in other words once you take your foot off the clutch, the MAF will be reading true again hence adjusting the fuel properly.

Scott =op

Push pull type holds in pressure and doesn't leak. Std valves leak quite badly but its only noticeable when they are changed to VTA.

The push-pull design makes it no more suitable to a MAF equipped car.

Why would it run lean? The ECU will asume the air is going in so it will run rich. The ECU will correct this to match the airflow as soon as it can, usually takes around 1/2 a second. Why would the ecu go from a rich state to a lean state? Once the valve is closed, in other words once you take your foot off the clutch, the MAF will be reading true again hence adjusting the fuel properly.

Scott =op

What do you think the ecu does once it senses a massively over rich mixture being burnt?

The push-pull design makes it no more suitable to a MAF equipped car.

What do you think the ecu does once it senses a massively over rich mixture being burnt?

I didn't say it did make it more suitable, i just meant its a better valve and has less problems than changing the std one to VTA.

The ECU drops the amount of fuel but its over such a short space of time that i would doubt very much that the engine would run lean. The ECU will adjust the fueling according to the MAF, when the MAF reading is innacurate the ECU will adjust accordingly just as fast as it will adjust accordingly when it realises the MAF is reading accurately.

As i said, all in its less than half a second. Well, it was on my MR2. I'm pretty sure the Supra system is even better so will cause less trouble.

Tell you what, instead of trying to poke holes in what i say, lets just let people who have the setup answer and tell us what they think. I didn't have an auto i had a manual MR2 with a MAF and with the STD it ran like a POS. With a SSQV it ran sweet with the odd stall when idling.

Scott =op

I didn't say it did make it more suitable, i just meant its a better valve and has less problems than changing the std one to VTA.

Who said anything about bodging the Toyota system into an atmo vented setup? I'm confused.

The ECU drops the amount of fuel but its over such a short space of time that i would doubt very much that the engine would run lean. The ECU will adjust the fueling according to the MAF, when the MAF reading is innacurate the ECU will adjust accordingly just as fast as it will adjust accordingly when it realises the MAF is reading accurately.

Scott =op

OK, I give up...

Me when i was explaining what happened with my MR2, with the std one it was crap but with an SSQV it wasn't bad at all.

A lot of people experiment with the std one before trying an aftermarket one to find that its terrible so don't bother going any further with it. It was only after trying an aftermarket one i found it to be ok venting to atmos.

Just wanted to point that a lot of peoples perceptions may be from using the std dump and not the SSQV. Think the main issue with the std one was the leaking though, it would leak to atmos instead of into the system so it didn't like it.

We just have differing opinions mate. Proof is in the pudding i say.

Scott =op

The ECU will adjust the fueling according to the MAF, when the MAF reading is innacurate the ECU will adjust accordingly just as fast as it will adjust accordingly when it realises the MAF is reading accurately.

That's an interesting theory, how does the ECU know if the MAF is reading accurately or not then?

-Ian

That's an interesting theory, how does the ECU know if the MAF is reading accurately or not then?

-Ian

The same way it knows its reading innacurately.

I don't know how tbh (as i said i don't know much about it) but it must. It adjusts the fueling when its running rich and it adjusts the fueling when its running lean, how does it know this? EGT?

All i mean is the ECU will adjust the fueling just as fast when its running rich or lean. When its running normal the MAF must be reading correctly, when its running rich or lean it must be reading incorrectly?

Of course this is with a VTA BOV on the car as if the fueling is off when stock there is obviously something else wrong.

Its hard to put into words my train of thought when i don't know all the lingo. I'm just explaning it as simply as i can in the way that i understand it.

If someone is going to tell me i'm wrong, fine, just tell me why i am wrong and explain it to me so that i understand. It seems that most of the input in this thread is theory and the people that have already done it have the same experiences as i did which lead me to my conclusion's and theory's.

Patronising people for their idea's pisses me off.

Scott =op