The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what`s the best diesel car?

Solid Snake

Passets are supposed to be amazing diesels and look quite good. I'd say 306hdi if you can get one for 2k, might struggle though. On that budget the DTurbo pug is a great car, really comfy and (IMO) a nicer shape than the newer HDI.

I've temporarily got a 406 2ltr HDI on a X plate, got all the toys, computer, digi climate control, rain sensing wipers, all for a grand (high mileage). really smooth to drive but I'm really not liking having a diesel. Does around 42mpg combined which isn't bad. Huuuuge care though.

If you can get one for under 2k then I'll have one....:D

H.

Unlikely methinks H. :D

Know of a taxi driver in Falmouth who has massive fun with M3's on airport runs to Gatwick. Very quick.

Didn't actually know why it was so quick until me and a mate pointed out the three magic letters and told him what it meant. Lol.

Depends what sort of size your after , iv run a 206 and 306 D Turbo in the past few months both very good cars, both handle well and get very good economy. If you go 306 make sure you get a HDi much nicer engine.

Currently got a golf GT TDi 115 PD , very torquey engine , lacks the low down punch of the hdi and not as refined, but mid range and top end is very good plus easily mapped as with all the PD engines. But economy isnt spectacular compared with the 206. Also the 6 Speed box in the Golf is very nice. But for 2k you may be better with a TDI Se as they are cheaper , get the same very good build quality.

Could go focus as they are very practical but the early diesel focus engines are pretty shite and unfined wants to be a TDCi really.

The old man recently ran a 98 spec Passat Estate which was very nice although finding a decent tdi for 2k could be a challenge.

Here's what I said when this question was asked last time around.

Anything with a VAG TDI lump in it.

Easier to sell on after your finished with it than a Mondeo too as you're not putting it in the paper amongst the other squillion that will be for sale at the same time! Plus the build quality of the rest of the car is probably better too.

The VW/Audi 2.5 TDi will get mid to maybe high 30's per gallon on the motorway and mid to high 20's around town. The 1.9TDi can get high 50's or if you're careful even low 60's per gallon on the motorway and 40ish around town.

We've got an Audi A6 1.9TDi getting these sort of economy figures on it - and that's a fairly big car - normally gets about 46MPG over all. Really reliable and now approaching 170,000 miles on it.