The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Corvette's new 620bhp ZR1

RedM

lol at the Topgear comment, "It should be more driveable than Corvettes of old, thanks to a Magnetic Selective Ride Control system, which works in a similar fashion to the Audi TT's magnetorheologic suspension - electronically controlled shocks are filled with fluid that reacts to magnetic charges for near-instant damper adjustment."

This system was put in the C5's a few years back and the Corvette was the first production car to ever use it - it wasn't Audi's idea. In fact, as far as I know, this was first developed by GM for the Corvette, although nowadays Ferrari use it in the F599 as well as Audi et al.

lol at the Topgear comment, "It should be more driveable than Corvettes of old, thanks to a Magnetic Selective Ride Control system, which works in a similar fashion to the Audi TT's magnetorheologic suspension - electronically controlled shocks are filled with fluid that reacts to magnetic charges for near-instant damper adjustment."

This system was put in the C5's a few years back and the Corvette was the first production car to ever use it - it wasn't Audi's idea. In fact, as far as I know, this was first developed by GM for the Corvette, although nowadays Ferrari use it in the F599 as well as Audi et al.

I think originally it was designed for military aplloications with Humvees being the testbed. I don't know if it became the norm for those vehicles though.

I think originally it was designed for military aplloications with Humvees being the testbed. I don't know if it became the norm for those vehicles though.

Not sure about the military bit. The Lord Corporation developed the fluid, but it was Delphi who first developed a suspension system to use it. With GM, they first put it on a Cadillac (Think it was the STS) in 2002, but the Corvette 50th Anniversary edition in 2003 was the first production car to have it as standard fitment. (New there was a 'first' in there somewhere!)

Millenworks fits this type of system to Humvees for the US Army, but I can't find anything about when they started doing this. (Millenworks is the same company as Rod Millen Motorsports who do stuff for Supras) Millenworks have also acted directly with the Lord Corporation in this work, so have likely had their part to play in the development of use of this fluid in suspension systems.