The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RC Helicopters

chainy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have lots more confidence and skill than me Carlos ;)

What type are you flying mate? Any pics?

I'm happy just to pootle around the garden dodging small woodland animals and surviving a flight.

I have a T-Rex 450 se v2, but I can't fly it yet. Honestly. I have Phoenix sim though and I play on that occasionally but I don't have any confidence to do much with the real thing yet. It's been out on the field once and it's hovered in our tiny (really tiny) back yard a couple of times!

Here's mine. It looks boring compared to yours! I want a nice canopy.

I used to have a Sceadu 30 about 5yrs ago and I decked that and called it a day. Parts weren't so easily available for that at the time, but I now live about half a mile from Revolution Models (the NHP & CSM people), and they stock loads of T-Rex parts, and T-Rex parts are cheap, and electric is clean too, so I decided to have another bash with a T-Rex. I didn't cut any corners this time though and went straight for the GY401 gyro and best tail servo I could find etc.

I think I have meshed the main gear incorrectly as it's wearing on the top edge, because the motor's pinion gear isn't flat/straight (you can see the main gear has a white/lighter colour to the top half of the teeth).

http://www.css-networks.com/trex/1.jpg

http://www.css-networks.com/trex/2.jpg

http://www.css-networks.com/trex/3.jpg

VERY Nice :cool:

As a mac user I'm limited to heli sims, but the very few I have used have had little in common with actual flight characteristics. You just cant simulate a random twitchy helicopter.

Lots or room and training gear is the only way.

In tail and hover is no problem, but nose-in flight is still very odd to me.

Dont suppose you know if Align and CopterX rotor parts are cross compatible.

To be honest, I dont now what I have as I bough the basic main mechanics 2nd hand from ebay.

I have the same problem. I have a 4gb quad core q6600 mean machine here, but because I use Fedora linux I have to run the sim on my laptop :(

My laptop runs superb photo quality Phoenix at 1400x1050 though, so it's not all bad.. just a small screen.

Thanks for the canopy link :cool:

Regarding parts etc., the best place for all that has to be http://www.helifreak.com

They have a massive T-Rex section, loads of tutorial videos by Finless Bob. CopterX parts probably are interchangeable though.

Cheers mate:

Already used Finless Bob's videos to set-up my programable TX.

Very usefull information.

I'll keep helifreak bookmarked for future reference.

:thumbs:

Heliguy has a good forum and fast delivery too.

I have the same problem. I have a 4gb quad core q6600 mean machine here, but because I use Fedora linux I have to run the sim on my laptop :(

My laptop runs superb photo quality Phoenix at 1400x1050 though, so it's not all bad.. just a small screen.

Thanks for the canopy link :cool:

Regarding parts etc., the best place for all that has to be http://www.helifreak.com

They have a massive T-Rex section, loads of tutorial videos by Finless Bob. CopterX parts probably are interchangeable though.

My Robbe Mossie petrol is a REAL pain in the arse.

Flight preporation takes as long as the flying.

Pluss carrying the starter motor, plugs, pump, fuel blah blah blah.

With these electric lipo models is plug and play.

On the field all you need it the handset and model

15 / 20 minutes on my Kings. Not sure about the Trex though.

After 10minutes I normally need a rest anyway so flight times are never a big factor with me ;)

Nice copters guys!

I want one now ;)

What is the main reason you went for electric over petrol?

Whats the run time on these beasts?

I went for electric this time 'cause I wanted something small and clean. Run time on a pack is maybe 6 or 7 minutes, so you would normally have a couple of packs.

On these small 450 sized electric helis the battery packs are about £30. On the bigger helis like the T-Rex 600 and Logos etc I think they are over £100, some going to up £200 each.

A 500 sized electric might be the ideal compromise between stability (size of heli), and battery costs..

yeh, my flight time is circa 10 mins too. And I'm usually a bit shaky after that so definately glad the battery is coming to an end, as it means I can relax again ;)

I started spinning the tail through 360 degrees while hovering the other day - was all going quite well until I ended up with the nose pointing towards me - of course that's the bit i dread the most, when all controls are back to front!

Luckily a new set of blades later and I'm airborne again :D

• 2 weeks later...
yeh, my flight time is circa 10 mins too. And I'm usually a bit shaky after that so definately glad the battery is coming to an end, as it means I can relax again ;)

I started spinning the tail through 360 degrees while hovering the other day - was all going quite well until I ended up with the nose pointing towards me - of course that's the bit i dread the most, when all controls are back to front!

Luckily a new set of blades later and I'm airborne again :D

Sounds very tricky mate!!

OK, so you lot have me sold on an electric heli due to ease of use :)

I was thinking of buying this deal:

T-REX 450S Kit Deal 2

at £339

here

Does that seem like a fair price and is the Futaba Gyro GY401 the radio gear?

thanks

went to pick my hirobo up saturday but it wasn't ready, will get it tomorrow. been using the twister hawk a lot since i got it friday, managed to break 8 blades so far and chop part of the body apart. im hoping the nitro will be more stable?

went to pick my hirobo up saturday but it wasn't ready, will get it tomorrow. been using the twister hawk a lot since i got it friday, managed to break 8 blades so far and chop part of the body apart. im hoping the nitro will be more stable?

It'll only be more stable if it's bigger. It's all about size.

Just remember, every time you crash the nitro its more money and hours of set-up time. With helicopter, ever crash will need part and rebuilds.

I clipped a tree branch on saturday and managed to land without hitting anything.

It cost me 2x servos, swash plate, blades, links, feathering shaft and flybar.

I was lucky.

yeh - practise practise practise on the smaller (and cheaper) electric models - if you crash you don't lose much, and in the repair process you learn a lot about how things work, how to set them up etc.

I love the petrol models my dad owns (planes and heli's) and would love to fly both - but I just don't think I'm up to the task yet.

Just remember, every time you crash the nitro its more money and hours of set-up time. With helicopter, ever crash will need part and rebuilds.

I clipped a tree branch on saturday and managed to land without hitting anything.

It cost me 2x servos, swash plate, blades, links, feathering shaft and flybar.

I was lucky.

yeh - practise practise practise on the smaller (and cheaper) electric models - if you crash you don't lose much, and in the repair process you learn a lot about how things work, how to set them up etc.

I love the petrol models my dad owns (planes and heli's) and would love to fly both - but I just don't think I'm up to the task yet.

yes will keep practising with the twister, the first flight still cost me £20 though, and this afternoon i broke another 4 blades both front wheels and the body, so that will be about £30!:(, i get it hovering lovely then it will wander slightly, so i go to correct and crash, many more hours practising i think. i got a lead to connect to the computer for a flight sim, but that doesn't seem to work.

yes will keep practising with the twister, the first flight still cost me £20 though, and this afternoon i broke another 4 blades both front wheels and the body, so that will be about £30!:(, i get it hovering lovely then it will wander slightly, so i go to correct and crash, many more hours practising i think. i got a lead to connect to the computer for a flight sim, but that doesn't seem to work.

Well, Ive just hunted high and low on fleabay and not found any Trex 450s 2nd hand :(

Also, I couldnt find any complete kits that were sold in the UK....

time for a model shop online me thinks..

Has any got any good ones to recommend?

Well, Ive just hunted high and low on fleabay and not found any Trex 450s 2nd hand :(

Also, I couldnt find any complete kits that were sold in the UK....

time for a model shop online me thinks..

Has any got any good ones to recommend?

Revolution Models is where I bought my kit, and it was cheaper than everywhere else, surprisingly.

http://www.revolutionmodels.co.uk

The favourite is the 450 SE V2. You can choose carbon or silver-carbon frames. I think it was £260 incl VAT.

When I had my Hirobo Sceadu 30 (which is really a 50 sized bird), a crash was usually about £100 in parts. That's why I like the T-Rex although I haven't crashed it yet, but parts are cheap and come in packs of two or three for some parts (e.g. feathering shafts, main shafts).

The only issue I have with my T-Rex is that the bearing on the swashplate is poor. There's too much play. It's recommended to swap it out for some other one that I can't remember.. a T-Rex clone which unfortunately doesn't seem to be stocked in the UK.