The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RC Helicopters

chainy

lol we sell these in our shop,

over christmas we sold about 30 of them,

about 20 of them came back as duff,. "wouldnt fly" or would only fly sideways,.

i nearly got sacked for refunding on these.,

Are you talking about those crappy coaxial rotor things?

This is just a vacuum formed PETA body shell sold by a guy in the US. Its up to the user to make it fit and fly.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that most people think that the FP (Fixed Pitch) range is a good starting block for someone with no experience at all.

You can either go for one of those to start with and then upgrade later on, or get one like we've both got (Belt CP) and just take your time in learning - use the training skids, simulator etc until 100% happy to try it with the real thing :)

Thanks for the link mate - how much are you sourcing the shells for, if you don't mind me asking? Everywhere I look they are about £80-90, which is the price of the helicopter in the first place ! lol

Are you talking about those crappy coaxial rotor things?

This is just a vacuum formed PETA body shell sold by a guy in the US. Its up to the user to make it fit and fly.

yeh its that model,

trying to explain to customers that they have to be tweaked a little for perfection was near impossible,

they were paying like £15 and expecting them to do stunts and fly 100ft high.

i agree with you.

As mentioned earlier in the thread by SupraStar3000, ebay actually can be a great place to source a helicopter quite cheaply.

Most you'll see are from HK, but, you'll find some UK suppliers who are still cheaper than a lot of the online shops. Up to you if you want to "risk" buying from ebay - but for an example, my Belt CP cost me £120 inc. postage, whereas the online shops on Heliguy.com or buzzflyer both show it retailing at around the £180-190 mark.

We were talking about RC Heli's at work the other day, and I must admit this thread has got me more interested. I just know i'll be crashing into anything an everything with them though, the kid's, the misses, the cat, next door's washing line and so on and so forth :D

well my 5 spare main blade sets turned up from HK this morning, so that's a good thing.

I'm planning on taking the heli outside in a bit as it's not raining, but the only real place that's big enough for me to fly is above tarmac...... :(

Wish me luck! lol

Less than an hour after my last post......

Lets just say lessons have been learned :(

I desperately want to get the heli off the ground, and I had it off the ground 3 or 4 times, even if only by a foot.

5th time was a little higher, then from nowhere the gust of wind that grounded me.... took the heli into a nearby garage door. I did what you're not supposed to do and dropped the throttle, but I actually think this was my saving grace.

The heli has just undergone minor surgery - has new main blades, and at first I thought the tail belt was broken - but luckily the tail had just been pushed into the heli, making the belt too loose to work.

45 mins of setting the heli back up and she's as good as new - but I definately am NOT flying outside until the weather is MUCH better. If I could find a large sportshall or something to fly in it'd be ideal, but don't think it'll happen.

One relieved trainee pilot :D

Is your 4 or 6 channel jamie? I am in the process of getting a 4 channel to learn on

4 channel, its really easy to fly, after 10 min of low hovering im flying it around the room, just gets a bit confusing when im flying it back towards me, easier to reverse back;)

bit info here

http://www.tayracers.co.uk/hirobo---sky-robo-550-p.asp

I paid £179 for it from a model place in slough, the guy in the shop said it was the easiest to fly.

We're in the process of mastering a Lama v4 (outside). Yesterday took 6 blades out of the inventory! Just put in an order for 40 from HK, hopefully that should last another week or so......

I'm convinced the stabilizer is coming adrift though as all the crashes seemed very sudden and random. Metal upgrade parts have been ordered so hopefully less crashes or at least less excuses!

6 blades!!!! Dear god man, get on the simulators! lol.....

I'm using FMS and Aerofly Pro Deluxe sims at the moment - I must say that they DO help get coordination etc sorted, but they definately DON'T help with wind/sudden occurences, and the weather at the moment is not really good weather to learn in :(

We're in the process of mastering a Lama v4 (outside). Yesterday took 6 blades out of the inventory! Just put in an order for 40 from HK, hopefully that should last another week or so......

I'm convinced the stabilizer is coming adrift though as all the crashes seemed very sudden and random. Metal upgrade parts have been ordered so hopefully less crashes or at least less excuses!

Sometimes if theres wind and your doing sudden movements it can cause the blades to hit each other, as in the bottom blades hitting the top and then the stabiliser goes flying. Just try slower, steadier movements.

Yep been using the FMS and have a vague idea. Had the ol Lama buzzing away for quite a while, but twice it just rotated round and headed for the ground rotor first without any additionaly inputs. Seemed to make a noise as if blades were meeting blades as it plummeted. The final crash may have been battery related as I think it slid out of position (no doubt due to the previous 2 crashes) and pulled the heli over backwards!

Just built up the Cessna EP400 plane today as the heli is grounded.... just not built up the courage to fly it!