The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RC Helicopters

chainy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the note of RC helicopters - does anyone recommend any particular simulator for my PC? I'm currently using the free FMS software, but TBH it's basic and I don't think it's close enough to the "real thing".

:yeahthat: I am looking for a decent sim as well, i have noticed they are all 4 channel sims on ebay but do u get 6 channel sims? What is the best sim to go for with the honey bee.

Is this the sort of thing to be looking out for.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Real-Flight-G3-5-r-c-Flight-Simulator-by-Great-Planes_W0QQitemZ290193546649QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On the note of RC helicopters - does anyone recommend any particular simulator for my PC? I'm currently using the free FMS software, but TBH it's basic and I don't think it's close enough to the "real thing".

:yeahthat: I am looking for a decent sim as well, i have noticed they are all 4 channel sims on ebay but do u get 6 channel sims? What is the best sim to go for with the honey bee.

Is this the sort of thing to be looking out for.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Real-Flight-G3-5-r-c-Flight-Simulator-by-Great-Planes_W0QQitemZ290193546649QQihZ019QQcategoryZ11051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use Reflex Xtra which is a very good heli / plane sim or Phoenix is brilliant too looks like the real thing when using photographic quality on both

So is the Honey Bee a good electric choice for a beginner? Or would software training be a better idea?

//edit: This one no good?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T0220-PROTECH-USB-FLIGHT-SIMULATOR-PLANE-HELICOPTER-AMC_W0QQitemZ250169613515QQihZ015QQcategoryZ34056QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Only 4CH, is it one of those cheap nasty things that should be avoided?

How about getting a Honey Bee then buying the cable and software to train before taking it out?

If you look at the deals on ebay, some, if not most, of the honey bee deals come with the simulator software and cable - and that'd be a good place to start I think. The software is the Esky package, which I've used before - it's O.K, but not the best. It'll certainly give you good practise to start with, just don't expect it to be that realistic.

I think SupraStar 3000 has actually helped me to decide on the honey bee Belt CP - because of the brushless motor and a few other upgrades that I'd probably need to purchase for the cheaper models anyway.

I believe the King 2 does not have a brushless motor either - and the brushless motor upgrade is about £24 - which is more than the difference between the two models initially.

Tempted to buy it with the ali case as well - something proper to keep it in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm still waiting for my Belt CP to turn up... seems the guy I've purchased off is really slow at doing ANYTHING.

Been flying on the sim but only using keyboard which is pants, but I always seem to have problems slowing the helicopter down from FFF or just slowing down to a hover in general....... But then I seem to have mastered inverted flying and other general flying...

I just want to make it land where I WANT, not where it ends up. :(

more practise required me-thinks - if anyone has any tips then fling-em my way!

When and where did you order it from mate.

Waiting on a new Belt CP myself from Honky Konky land.

From what I was told, stocks are low due to Christmas.

Shouldn't be too long now :)

Mine's got a colour video camera for spying on next door at shower time.

:cool:

Regarding tips.

Practice, practice, practice.

It took me a good few weeks just to bounce around without crashing.

If I can do it, a blind man with no arms can.

You Tube has some good vids and forums like Heliguy and RCGroups,com have lots of hits and tips.

btw: Its all in the set-up. Just because it says RTF doesnt meen its set-up perfectly.

Thanks mate - I've been using the Sims for RC planes/heli's for several years now - so I should be good - but am not! lol

Setup - i read a lot about swash-plates etc, so that'll be fun.

I ordered from a UK supplier on ebay, and ordered it a week ago. He said he has them in stock (either colour) so just waiting for it to arrive now. He's not answered more recent emails, which is annoying.

Do you think the camera can be purchased seperately? Any idea of price? Would be a good gimmick I think... :)

I know mate - I've been into RC in general since I was a nipper - my dad has some "fake" photos of me flying a Helicopter at the age of 6 (my transmitter wasn't actually the one being used to fly the chopper lol)

It's VERY addictive - and also can be very expensive :S

Good job it's raining and windy outside - will stop me attempting to fly lol.....

EDIT:

I've tried to test the heli indoors, and it's soooo cool! I've got the training gear on, and I've been doing some checking and setup. The heli has a bit of a wobble when I power it up so I think Gyro needs adjusting, but I'll leave that until I get round to flying it properly :)

Can't wait! I also got the Aluminium case to keep it in - it'll keep it safe.

Shame the battery takes nearly 1.5hrs to charge, but i suppose if I get into this big-time then decent chargers and more batteries will be required!

1 thing I've notice mate, and I'm hoping you can shed some light....

What frequency is all your kit on? Are you in the 35Mhz range?

Mine's turned up with 72Mhz Xtals, which I'm certain is not a legal range for the UK... I bought from a UK advertiser on ebay so will have a word if it is illegal, as I know some/most cheap kit won't swap from 35-72Mhz easily.

Cheers

Thats odd as all my Esky helicopters are 35Mhz range.

I don't really know all the technicalities and the legal side but I really wouldnt worry to much. Send the seller an e-mail and maybe ask the same question on some of the heli forums and see what they say. I would imagine the worst case scenario is the seller send you a new TX and RX unit. Can't see why you cant practice in the mean time.

Thanks mate. Seller has said that I need to return the whole lot for a refund :( Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

I can't see me getting caught, but I don't really think I want to take the risk. Not only that, I'm sure there are other things in the 72Mhz range, meaning that they could interfere. The last thing I want is a heli that crashes because of this, or me interfering with some important radio call...

Thats a bit drastic mate :(

Can't believe the seller can't send you new radio equipment :(

Maybe you could find a 2nd hand helicopter and transfer the parts over.

Wouldn't be hard to do and you would have some spares parts left over for crashes.

Hope its sorted soon.

Took some pics today of my heli bodies.

Wow - looking really good there mate! Are they all for a Belt CP, or different heli?

TBH I'm not going to bother returning the heli, because I'll no doubt lose out on postage both ways, which is about £30. The only bits I need to swap are tx and rx, and I've got many JR/Futaba sets at home - however I'm not sure if they're going to work yet, as I think they are all PCM and these heli's need PPM..... looking into it though.

If not, I'll buy the tx and rx off ebay - one on there at the moment for about £30 ish and then all i need is the rx and i'm sorted.

Wow - do u get the bodies in kit form? I love the idea - didn't realise they could be changed like that!

Something I'd definately look at once I can fly properly :)

I've just taken a look at my JR set (Futaba ones are all in use with my dads kit) and realised it's a plane version of tx - which means that a lot of the extra features are useless, and I don't think I could use it for 3d flying because of the lack of mixing on the right channels. :(